KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » What book are you reading now?

What book are you reading now?
Started by: crazy_c

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (142): « First ... « 132 133 [134] 135 136 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Reading Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher again to refresh my memory for War Factory coming out in a couple of weeks. Asher is by far my favourite sci-fi author at the moment: Awesome action, bad-ass characters and scary aliens.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2016 11:46 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Don't Make The Black Kids Angry" by Colin Flaherty. What a good read. Recommend it for everyone.

Old Post May 11th, 2016 08:23 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Things they carried by Tim O'Brien.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 12th, 2016 11:54 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Things they carried by Tim O'Brien.

I've got that on my list.

Originally posted by Surtur
"Don't Make The Black Kids Angry" by Colin Flaherty. What a good read. Recommend it for everyone.

I've been meaning to get into white-supremacist fiction.

Last edited by Slay on May 13th, 2016 at 08:02 PM

Old Post May 13th, 2016 08:00 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Slay

I've got that on my list.

I got him to sign it two weeks ago when he came to my university.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 17th, 2016 03:30 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Possession by AS Byatt.

Old Post May 24th, 2016 10:49 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Slay
I've been meaning to get into white-supremacist fiction.

That is cool for you. If so then that isn't the book for you, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to track down some white supremacist fiction.

Old Post May 26th, 2016 02:14 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Surtur's never ending quest to absolve himself of things continues. Carry on.

Old Post May 27th, 2016 09:01 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Surtur's never ending quest to absolve himself of things continues. Carry on.

Christ dude, someone made a comment and I replied back. You take more issue with that then with your lil buddies never ending quest to go around starting shit. When that happens not a peep comes out of you.

Last edited by Surtur on May 29th, 2016 at 12:31 AM

Old Post May 29th, 2016 12:29 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

But anyways..I have been reading some of the Ravenloft books lately. I got into them after playing a module for Neverwinter Nights that took place in the Ravenloft setting. Count Strahd von Zarovich is badass.

Old Post May 29th, 2016 06:50 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Star Wars: Tarkin: James Luceno.

Old Post May 30th, 2016 07:01 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Yuel

Mortal Instruments: City of Glass

Old Post May 30th, 2016 11:00 AM
Yuel is currently offline Click here to Send Yuel a Private Message Find more posts by Yuel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Finished Bloodsong and Steelheart recently. Bloodsong was cool, Steelheart was disappointing. Started the Assassins Apprentice and Words of Radiance yesterday, so I'm reading both simultaneously. Both have pretty promising starts.

Originally posted by Yuel
Mortal Instruments: City of Glass
Awesome trilogy, read that in highschool I think. Jace is the GOAT, and some pretty good twists.

PWNT

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 02:13 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Finished Bloodsong and Steelheart recently. Bloodsong was cool, Steelheart was disappointing. Started the Assassins Apprentice and Words of Radiance yesterday, so I'm reading both simultaneously. Both have pretty promising starts.

I quite liked The Reckoners books, but then I like superheroes and comics so I enjoyed the lighter approach as a diversion from his more serious and epic fantasy. I would agree that they were probably aimed at a somewhat younger market, though.

The Stormlight Archive is going to be Sanderson's best work, I think. Just going to have to wait patiently for his next book... sad wink

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 10:32 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Dreampanther
I quite liked The Reckoners books, but then I like superheroes and comics so I enjoyed the lighter approach as a diversion from his more serious and epic fantasy. I would agree that they were probably aimed at a somewhat younger market, though.

The Stormlight Archive is going to be Sanderson's best work, I think. Just going to have to wait patiently for his next book... sad wink
I usually love super heroes andwhatnot too. It was probably just a bit too juvenile for me to enjoy. It's still a good story, as evidenced by basically all reviews. I'm just an outlier thumb up

Agreed on SA. I've been putting off Words of Radiance so long because joining everyone else in waiting sounds like a nightmare.

Have you ever read Assassins Apprentice? It's the first of the Farseer Trilogy. People are rating it pretty high in terms of quality fantasy. Main praise I've read about it is that the author creates really believable characters with realistic relationships. It apparently even surpasses the ASOIAF books in this regard. I also hear its light on action, with a focus on the protagonists relationships, and political intrigue. It has a ton of adult themes and left some readers a bit disturbed/sick. As far as I can tell from the sparse descriptions I've found online, its a coming of age story about a bastard boy from a royal family growing to be an assassin (think Vaelin Al Sorna). His only power isn't really offensive (he has the ability to amplify feelings in any living thing), but I can see it being used creatively in assassinations. The character himself also isn't an absolute beast like Kvothe and Vaelin. He's not the greatest or most talented fighter in the world so his conflicts aren't ended in a stab or single spell. He actually struggles.

From what I've read so far, I adore the writing style and dialogue. The author has a real gift for this. I'll let you know if its worth the read when I'm done, but so far its pretty good.

PWNT

Old Post Jun 4th, 2016 12:09 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Have you ever read Assassins Apprentice? It's the first of the Farseer Trilogy. People are rating it pretty high in terms of quality fantasy. ...
From what I've read so far, I adore the writing style and dialogue. The author has a real gift for this. I'll let you know if its worth the read when I'm done, but so far its pretty good.

I tried a couple of time but didn't get very far. I think I tried just after reading Brent Weeks's Night Angel trilogy and that was a huge mistake. Actually, reading anything just after Brent Weeks is a huge mistake. It's better to take a break and read something completely unrelated to fantasy for a while - his books are just that good.

Hope they work for you, though - as you said, most of the reviews are pretty good. wink

Old Post Jun 4th, 2016 07:53 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Stephen King's "The Night Shift".

Old Post Jun 4th, 2016 03:45 PM
Omega Vision

Despair by Vladimir Nabokov

Old Post Jun 17th, 2016 10:11 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Outriders by Jay Posey.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2016 09:40 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Legends of the Duskwalker trilogy by Jay Posey.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 24th, 2016 11:40 AM