KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » What book are you reading now?

What book are you reading now?
Started by: crazy_c

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (142): « First ... « 133 134 [135] 136 137 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Amanda234

The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner. It is the story of a young woman who is on the verge. She is fascinated with motorcycles and speed and wishes to turn them into art.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2016 06:57 PM
Amanda234 is currently offline Click here to Send Amanda234 a Private Message Find more posts by Amanda234 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Just finished The Keep by F Paul Simon and started The Tomb by him. I've heard good things about the Repairman Jack series so I'm looking forward to meeting this character.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2016 11:43 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson and A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace

Old Post Sep 21st, 2016 10:42 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Quite liked the Repairman Jack series despite the fact that I'm not a big horror fan. Jack is pretty badass and I'm always a fan of badass. Speaking of badass, I started the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn and would recommend it for fans of Jason Bourne and James Bond. Seems like they are making a movie as well called American Assassin.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2016 07:46 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dreampanther
I quite liked The Reckoners books, but then I like superheroes and comics so I enjoyed the lighter approach as a diversion from his more serious and epic fantasy. I would agree that they were probably aimed at a somewhat younger market, though.

The Stormlight Archive is going to be Sanderson's best work, I think. Just going to have to wait patiently for his next book... sad wink

I also liked the Reckoners books. good story, action and characters. thumb up

the best characters were david, megan and prof, imo.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I usually love super heroes andwhatnot too. It was probably just a bit too juvenile for me to enjoy. It's still a good story, as evidenced by basically all reviews. I'm just an outlier thumb up

do you like superman and spider-man, etc...

superheros/comic characters are juvenile to begin with. we are supposed to like them as kids/teenagers/young adults then grow out of them

both comic books and the Reckoners books are targeted for teens and young adults age group

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Oct 12th, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Old Post Oct 12th, 2016 10:36 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

i am reading house of reckoning by mike lawson. it's a joe demarco series and it's pretty good so far. thumb up

I will have to check out the Repairman Jack series sometime thumb up

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Oct 12th, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Old Post Oct 12th, 2016 10:41 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Basara

"The Little Black Box" collection by Philip K. Dick.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2016 11:15 AM
Basara is currently offline Click here to Send Basara a Private Message Find more posts by Basara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

So, got about halfway with the Mitch Rapp books before he started annoying me as a character. Let's just say that when a writer takes time to establish a character while writing a series and then suddenly have him act out of character for no reason whatsoever except apparently to please some SJW agenda it is not only jarring, but leaves me as the reader confused and angry.

Anyway, that made me want to read about a real tough guy, the original professional counterassassin himself, Matt Helm. Written by Donald Hamilton I loved these books when I was growing up and now that I've nearly re-read the whole series I have to say I enjoyed them just as much the second time around. This is not a guy whose conscience suddenly gets in the way of doing his job - and his job is hunting and killing bad guys.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2016 08:03 AM
Maz Cabrone
Candy Flipper

Just finish reading Life of Pi, now my issue is whether to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower or The Book Thief

Old Post Nov 1st, 2016 12:44 PM
Maz Cabrone is currently offline Click here to Send Maz Cabrone a Private Message Find more posts by Maz Cabrone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Just sped my way through the first 5 novels of Tarzan. Really fun read.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2016 06:23 AM
UCanShootMyNova is currently offline Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Just sped my way through the first 5 novels of Tarzan. Really fun read.

Nice!

I'm busy with the newest Brent Weeks. So much awesomeness, but a bit frustrating that a trilogy has now turned into five books.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2016 01:18 PM
UCanShootMyNova

If I were to get into either the Conan or Tarzan comics which should it be?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2016 08:29 AM
UCanShootMyNova is currently offline Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
If I were to get into either the Conan or Tarzan comics which should it be?

Gotta be honest, both of them I prefer the books and didn't read the comics that much. However, I read the Tarzan/Batman crossover as well as the Tarzan vs Predator mini series and enjoyed them both.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2016 11:04 AM
UCanShootMyNova

Tarzan it is.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2016 08:40 AM
Arachnid1

I finished the Farseer Trilogy. Pretty sad ending, but not at all what I was expecting. Fitz is a great character, and I cant wait to revisit him in future trilogies. I'm going to start Liveship Traders next.

Originally posted by The Nuul
I also liked the Reckoners books. good story, action and characters. thumb up

the best characters were david, megan and prof, imo.

do you like superman and spider-man, etc...

superheros/comic characters are juvenile to begin with. we are supposed to like them as kids/teenagers/young adults then grow out of them

both comic books and the Reckoners books are targeted for teens and young adults age group
I'm not saying the actually concepts of the books themselves are juvenile. It was the authors writing and the weird quirks he tried to give the main character. I just didn't jive with me.

PWNT

Old Post Jan 18th, 2017 02:04 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Rereading Forge of Darkness before moving on to Fall of Light, which I just picked up the other day.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2017 10:19 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Antonio94
Frostwolf

Currently I'm reading Why Men Want Sex And Women Need Love by Allan and Barbara Pease. Quite a good book for background knowledge of love in psychology point of view.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2017 07:41 AM
Antonio94 is currently offline Click here to Send Antonio94 a Private Message Find more posts by Antonio94 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

by Richard Dawkins

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 07:20 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Currently I'm reading:

Black Privilege.

The second books in Riordan's Apollo and Magnus Chase series respectively ( coincidentally I'm thinking of dropping both ).

The Starfleet series.

Game of Thrones.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2017 05:37 AM
olivia900
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Stranger by Albert Camus

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2017 08:31 PM
olivia900 is currently offline Click here to Send olivia900 a Private Message Find more posts by olivia900 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote