KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » biology

biology
Started by: yerssot

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Absolutely not the other way around, no. Midi-chlorians are a symbiotic lifeform that live in harmony with the environment around them; they could not possibly create that environment in the first place.

If someone has Force Potential, this will be shown by the large amounts of Midi-Chlorians that have become resident in his or her body, attracted by said potential.

Not only is this explnation in keeping with the natural basis GL used for their idea, if it uis the other way around you get stipid scenarios in which people think injecting people with MCs will give you Force powers, or silly stuff like that.

No. The MCs are a symptom, not a cause- but Force potential is useless without them.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 10:46 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

ah! I see!

but with the DNA and stuff isn't it like a little lifeform of itself so you can compare it more to an desease?

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 10:48 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, that would be a cruel comparison. loads of stuff lives in our body without us calling it a disease, but it may well follow similar patterns anyway.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

because you are Force-sensitive you have a lot of midi-chlorians...
what I ment was:
if you don't dress warmly in winter you get a cold...

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 11:18 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

True; but if you are in the artic you will never get a cold no matter how cold you are...

BtVS

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 11:20 PM
yerssot

no, you will freeze to death wink

but what I ment was that it is LIKE a desease

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 11:22 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yeah, sure. Actually, I'm not 100% sure why I said that.

In any case, the other major difference between them and a disease is their symbiotic nature; we rely on hem as much as they rely on us.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 11:26 PM
yerssot

didn't QGJ said a thing about symbiotic and midi-chlorians?

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 12:07 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes; he goes as far to say that life could not exist without them.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 12:22 AM
yerssot

yeah, because there couldn't be energy for the cells...

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 12:24 AM
Dim
Creativity

quote:
That doesn't scan, Dim. You are not born with midi-chlorians that cause your Forcr potential. You are born with Force-potential that attracts the Midi-chlorians.

How do you know, Ush?..GL hasn't addressed it.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 12:25 AM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The nature of that comment of his is left untold. They live in us because of the Force; he gives us no idea what we need from them.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 12:26 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Because it is the only way that makes logical sense, Dim. Really, no other explanation scans at all. As I described above. GL's symbiosis link is very clear.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 12:58 AM
KJ
Sausages

Yip. He's right. I never understood this for a long time but found a site on this which expains it all.

You're born with force potential.
The midi-chlorians are attracted to you and enter your body.
Midi-chlorians need the force to survive.
The Jedi find other Jedi by testing for midi-chlorians.
The more you have then the more force potential you have.

And through the midi-chlorians Jedi get a greater understanding of the force as they "constantly speak to you, telling you the will of the force" as Qui-Gon put it.

So midi-chlorians need the force, and Jedi need midi-chlorians to help them understand the force.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 05:46 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I imagine, KJ, that the idea that is was the other way around horrified you as much as me; people saying that if you get a blood transfusion from a Jedi you steal their power, and so on...

BtVS

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 05:48 PM
KJ
Sausages

Well I thought it was that way round for a long time, until I found some sites which explained it.
Now that theory sounds like something out of the EU.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 06:03 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

but it isn't.

I'm thinking; what is also a biology-think in SW?

Old Post Nov 11th, 2001 06:16 PM
KJ
Sausages

I'm not sure what you mean?confused

Old Post Nov 12th, 2001 03:51 PM
yerssot

well, you have midi-chlorians, now ... what's next?
I heared that McCallum said that they will explain the force more so perhaps again biology???

Old Post Nov 12th, 2001 04:15 PM
KJ
Sausages

I don't think so. I think the only biology we'll see is from the cloning. That has to be explained at some point.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2001 04:45 PM