KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Spiderman....sucked.

Spiderman....sucked.
Started by: VengeanceGOD

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bishop777
X-Treme X.S.E.

I was just making a suggestion Mr. Parker, but I honestly like yours better. What I was trying to get across is that there was no real drama involved in the movie, where your idea about Stacy and Watson definitely would. You know from the jump that Spider-Man will win; I guess they tried to get that across with his break-up with Mary Jane at the end, but it wasn't believable and it was not enough. For instance, the last time that Parker fought Osborne, Norm gave Flash a job driving a truck, got him drunk and Flash crashed into a building. Leaving him as a vegetable.
Spider-Man is also very humorous which didn't come across with bad writing and extremely cheesy jokes.
Steely balls, you are exactly right. People, as in the general public, love cheesy movies, because the general public is generally stupid. Mindless action and dumb jokes are their idea of entertainment. You can only hope that the audience becomes more sophisticated, and that filmmakers give them what they want. Hulk was a good movie, and the two Blade movies were the best. I think Ang Lee's direction, and how he broke certain shots into comic book panels was brilliant. People harp about the use of CG in the movie, when it in actuality was the best out of all movies this summer. Just look at his facial expressions.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 02:05 AM
Bishop777 is currently offline Click here to Send Bishop777 a Private Message Find more posts by Bishop777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eat My Ass

spiderman was cheesy and the plot was cheesy and predictable cause that's what comic books are-hence a comic book movie and since they stuck with the feel of spiderman it just makes the movie perfect.

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17495261

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 05:11 AM
113 is currently offline Click here to Send 113 a Private Message Find more posts by 113 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bishop777
X-Treme X.S.E.

Oh how wrong you are 113. Ever since Wildstorm/DC's The Authority came out and redefined the superhero genre, the major companies have been bold and allowed creators to place their mainstay characters in a lot more extreme, adult-oriented situations. I am not even a Spider-Man fan but I suggest that you read the new Spectacular Spider-Man series by Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos. The first arc was amazing and honestly the boldest step the Spider books have taken in years, and the next arc appears to be a step above that where a redesigned, tougher Doc Ock vows to make Spider-Man reveal himself to the public.
I can go on and on about specific titles and how they are not cheesy, but I honestly hope you can get your hands on some good books, you might find a new hobby. Plus, the Blade movies were not in the least bit cheesy.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 09:06 AM
Bishop777 is currently offline Click here to Send Bishop777 a Private Message Find more posts by Bishop777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Parker
This post is so laughable its pitiful.This MAN-SPIDER movie-which is what it REALLY should have been called because of the organic webshooters, was a travesty also.Yes William Defoe was great in his acting,I disagree with vengence about the acting,the only one I thought was weak in the acting was James Franco as Harry Osborn.Defoe was great in his acting,but that Green Goblin costume damaged a great performance because people laughed at that goblin costume.I'd say YOU are the guy who needs to get a life because you cant seem to stand criticems of your precious MAN-SPIDER movie.No,if I want to talk about a shitty movie,I'll just talk about your stupid SPIDER-MAN,er MAN-SPIDER movie. big grin Daredevil was by far a much better superiour film over that crap Spider-Man movie.At least a black Kingpin is a reasonable change unlike those moronic organics which make him MAN-SPIDER. big grin

And you say my post is so laughable that its pitiful. Look at you trying to convince people that this movie should be called "Man Spider." How can you even compare the organic webshooters to a black king pin. Michal Clark Duncan is like a cop out excuse for the king pin. They coulda found 1,000 huge white bald guys that woulda been better than him. I don't go to comic movies because they have recognizable faces...i go to them to see realistic depictions of the comics. And another low point on Daredevil would be his little school yard fight with Electra. DD met Elektra like 2 scences earlier and now she's going to just fight with some random bling guy...ok smart guy explain that one to me? And why didn't someone go and stick up for the blind guy?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 03:12 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by VengeanceGOD
Well, I don't particularly agree that the entire movie sucked because his webshooters were organic. As for the Hulk not being cheesy...did you watch the same movie I did?

It was a LOT more than just the organic webshooters and the green goblin costume to make the whole movie suck.The script looked like it was written by someone with the ideas of a 5 year old.Once again,I agree with Vengence.The Hulk not being chessy? Yeah kinda makes me wonder if he watched the same movie we did.The Hulk was crap also,but not as crappy as MAN-SPIDER was.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Dec 15th, 2003 at 04:01 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 03:58 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steely balls

Everyone has to admit that spider-man did have bad writing. It's probably what turned some people off about the movie but over all it is a personal favorite of mine. And regards to my comment about the Hulk, When i mean cheesy i mean like stupid smart ass remark that's meant to be funny when it really isn't. I mean like Fast and the Furious Cheesy. I personally never saw any of this in the hulk but i don't want get into an argument about it because it's sort off topic. Instead of me saying it was not cheesy. I'll just replace that with "It was more of a Drama then most superhero movies i've seen."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 10:28 PM
steely balls is currently offline Click here to Send steely balls a Private Message Find more posts by steely balls Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
And you say my post is so laughable that its pitiful. Look at you trying to convince people that this movie should be called "Man Spider." How can you even compare the organic webshooters to a black king pin. Michal Clark Duncan is like a cop out excuse for the king pin. They coulda found 1,000 huge white bald guys that woulda been better than him. I don't go to comic movies because they have recognizable faces...i go to them to see realistic depictions of the comics. And another low point on Daredevil would be his little school yard fight with Electra. DD met Elektra like 2 scences earlier and now she's going to just fight with some random bling guy...ok smart guy explain that one to me? And why didn't someone go and stick up for the blind guy?

Well a Spider-Man movie wasnt made,even though sony successfully fooled people like you with no logic into thinking so.This was a phony neautered version of hollywoods,spider-man is a guy with chemical webshooters,thats not the guy we saw on the screen,Man-spider is the person we saw.as far as I know,there are not that many actors out there in real life who have BOTH the size and the strength that Kingpin has so Clark was a good choice.I can compare it because a black Kingpin is a reasonable change unlike that organic bullcrap.Man your points are pitiful.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 11:39 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zephonim

I know that you will more than likely dismiss everything I say, but I would appreciate if you would at least read it like I took the time to read yours.

All right, here we go (bout damn time). Sorry it took so long, I am just getting ready for finals, and the end of this semester has been wicked nuts. Let me just say before I start that I totally agree with most of what Mr. Parker is saying. I think it would have been awesome if they had stuck directly with the comics, but I realize that they couldn’t. And now my rebuttal:

“He was a good Peter,just a bad spiderman.He did not talk the way you would expect spidey to sound. the only actor I really thought was weak was a JAMES FRANCO AS HARRY OSBORN. ”
I disagree with you entirely here. Toby was awesome, not only as Peter but also as Spider-Man. You have to think back that Peter didn’t start as heroic badass. It took him time to come into his superhero attitude. He started out as a scared kid who had just been given a great gift, and this movie was the origins of Spidey. I would expect that in the next movie they will buff his personality up a little and make him into more of hero. And I agree with James Franco, but in the beginning Harry was a pretty weak character too, he never had a lot going for min story wise (and he had by far the worst dialogue in the movie).

“Kirsten dunst was very pretty as MJ”
She was cute, in my opinion nowhere near ‘MJ’ quality hotness. I posted on another board that MJ was always smoking. She was an actress and then a model. They needed someone way hotter. I suggested Nikki Cox, it helps that she already has the red hair.

“and those hairy claws,whats up with that?”
I agree that the hairs were a little weird, but if you think about it, they never really explained how he was able to climb on walls in the comics. He just could, and they couldn’t do that in the movie. I personally like that they shed a little light on that and explained how he was able to climb the walls.

“can you say organics? man what a moron idea to begin with, that was so stupid to give him organics and turn him inot a manspider monster with those idiotic organics.hollywood only wanted to make their own liitle version is why they gave him organics.they just wanted to do something new and different with him by raping to death this great character.the thing that is so stupid about the organics,is if he got the powers of a spider,the webbing would shoot out of his ass for god sakes,no way would they be able to shoot out of hiswrists for great long distances of all things.thats just not logical.Apider spins its webbing in the back end of its body.”
We’ve done this talk in a previous thing, and I have a feeling that no matter what I say, you’re not going to accept it. The organics were necessary. They couldn’t have him just producing those devices from his room in Queens. Also, the webbing in this made more sense than the web in the comic. He says in the comic that he thinks the spider that bit him somehow passed on the formula for the webbing to him. I like the fact that the webbing is more based on something than things being passed from spider to human telepathically.

“You also have to deal with the fact that a spiders webbing doesnt dissolve for weeks at times,guess the whole city of new york is going to be polluted now.”
In the comic his webbing dissolves in like an hour or so. I would assume that that is how it would work in the movie. It is tough for film makers to express all the things that comics can because they don’t have the same amount of time and area that a comic does.

“then the even bigger sin-THE GREEN GOBLIN COSTUME.that costume was so laughable looking and dumb it looked more like an alien from space than a damn goblin.that was insulting that we saw only his real mouth move when he talked,and his goblin mouth never moved,man what a joke.”
It would have been IMPOSSIBLE for them to make a mask like the one in the comic. He has some kind of weird latex on the books that forms to his face. They can’t do that in the movies. Look at Wolverine or Batman, their masks are different too. What they did was the closest thing possible. First, the mask was formed from Defoe’s face that they then twisted and warped. Secondly, when he raised the eyes you could still see his mouth and his eyes came through the holes, so that was as close to original as possible. The suit was a little queer though, looked like a Power Ranger. It would have been cool to have the boots and the satchel, but then that would not have gone with the mask. Also, the thing that should have bugged you was the lack of pumpkin bombs, or bombs of any kind.

“MJ is suppose to be an airhead and stuck up,instead they made her into the nice,kind,sweet girl GWEN STACY is Just like the 90's cartoon did. where was the party girl from the comics? except hearing her say HEY TIGER! I felt like I was looking at gwen stacy on the screen.”
“I also hated the fact that BETTY AND ROBBIE werent even introduced and only had avout 30 seconds of screentime.man what bullcrap.”
They didn’t have the time to add a whole new character. The comic had decades to cover dozens of different characters, the movie had two hours. With Betty and Robbie you had the same problem, not enough time to give all of them the screen time they deserved. The same goes for Eddie and Dr. Conners, they said their name, but no face to go with them (but I think they did that so they could cast them when they are bigger parts in later movies). They knew sequels were gonna be coming, and they wanted movie goers to begin to care about a character and if they had just killed Gwen at the end people would not have been as likely to care about a whole other character in the next movie. Plus, MJ is a much more well known character.

“I also hated the fact that we never heard peter think to himself.sorry narration and hearing thoughts are two totally different things.You cant have a spiderman movie without hearing his thoughts,with supes and bats,no problem,bus spidey is a different case.That was one thing I rreally liked about the 90's cartoon was how they brilliantly had peter think to himself in that show.I wanted to hear him say things like-SHOULD I AKS MJ OUT,WHAT IF SHE SAYS NO,I'LL LOOK STUPID,NO I BETTER NOT.”
Internal monoloque is really tough to do in movies, especially when the person doing most of the narrating is wearing mask. It was a great part of his character, but it would not have worked in the movie. People would have lost track of who was talking to who and what was being said out loud and what wasn’t.

“I ALSO hated the fact that he was never wisecracking like spidey is suppose to when hefights.man,spidey NEVER shuts up when he fights baddies!!!!!”
I agree 100%. This was my biggest complaint about the movie.

“to the end of WHO AM I,IM SPIDERMAN.then swinging off hanging on to the flagpole.dumb and corny.this isnt macgyver or magnum pi for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!”
The original ending called for a huge battle that took place between the twin towers, but, those were no more. The flag was a simple, quick tribute to September 11th. It was only added after the towers fell. And what the hell does “this isnt macgyver or magnum pi for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!” mean? “Macgyver or Magnum PI“?

“everybody saw him shoot out his webbing and drag the tray,then ho goes out and does all these spectacular backflips and punches flash thompson sending him flying over 100 feet through the air across the floor which is humanly impossible to do.Lets see,this occurs,then a guy displays the same uncanny abilites comes along a few months later,even a dork like flash thompson would easily put two and two together,geez waht moron came up with that part?
Nobody saw him shoot the web. If you watch the movie, nobody saw the webbing leave his wrist. They might have seen him drag the tray out, but they didn’t see what it was attached to. Also, he hit him like 10 feet, 100 would have definitely alerted people. The beauty of Parker was that he was such a nerd and such a nobody that people never gave him a second thought. They may have seen him punch him and fight all badass, but he was Peter Parker. He was a spaz you just got lucky once so people never thought twice about it.

“It was also stupid how during the ring fight how his spidey sense inexplicably failed to warn him that he was going to get hit with the chair at that time,he should EASLIY have dodged that.Not to mention that the chair should not have even hurt him since he has super strength now.”
In the movie we are never even sure if his spider sense warns him or not. It was the first time he had ever really used his powers and he was unsure of himself. He had just taken probably the biggest hit of his life and was stunned after being hit for the first time. The chair didn’t hurt him. He got hit by the chair and was then smashed into the cage but was right back up and kick “Bonesaw’s” ass (by the way, how can you be pissed about so many small things but let Bonesaw get by?)

“also take inot account,that the promoter later saw peter with his mask off after displaying spider abilities in the ring”
I agree with this, but the wrestling promoter never got his name or any relevant information about him. Also, how many people are in New York? Maybe if he ran into Parker again he might have said something, but he never did.

Finally, you contradict yourself. You say how you loved how they made him so strong, but are pissed at how hard he hit’s Flash. Make up you mind.

Again, I know that you will more than likely dismiss everything I say, but I would appreciate if you would at least read it like I took the time to read yours.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 01:04 AM
Zephonim is currently offline Click here to Send Zephonim a Private Message Find more posts by Zephonim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eat My Ass

quote:
Originally posted by Bishop777
Oh how wrong you are 113. Ever since Wildstorm/DC's The Authority came out and redefined the superhero genre, the major companies have been bold and allowed creators to place their mainstay characters in a lot more extreme, adult-oriented situations. I am not even a Spider-Man fan but I suggest that you read the new Spectacular Spider-Man series by Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos. The first arc was amazing and honestly the boldest step the Spider books have taken in years, and the next arc appears to be a step above that where a redesigned, tougher Doc Ock vows to make Spider-Man reveal himself to the public.
I can go on and on about specific titles and how they are not cheesy, but I honestly hope you can get your hands on some good books, you might find a new hobby. Plus, the Blade movies were not in the least bit cheesy.

was spiderman a R movie? No, it wasn't so extreme action and diologue shouldn't be expected, and plus obviously some comics aren't cheesy, but they started out that way, and this is the first really successful superhero movie and they kept it traditional-as they should
so all the people who thought it was too cheesy-get over yourself cause your not clever and it was meant to be that way...

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17495261

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 01:57 AM
113 is currently offline Click here to Send 113 a Private Message Find more posts by 113 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Daywalker
Vigilante

quote:
Originally posted by VengeanceGOD
And you obviously don't know english when you write it. Learn to spell and use grammar, and THEN come and talk to me. And next time, write some decent points. I did, and I'll say them again. The movie was as cheesy, if not more, than Batman and Robin.

Don't even include B&R in this thread because true Batfans like myself wish that one never happened. Try mentioning a better Bat movie not just that garbage.

Spider-Man wasn't at all a bad movie. There were things I didn't care for like Goblin's costume but Spidey's costume was excellent. Not a diehard Spidey follower but the movie was pretty sound especially for the first one.

BTW, http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/sony/spiderman2/

Attachment: sdcc03 19.jpg
This has been downloaded 42 time(s).

Blade

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 05:47 AM
Daywalker is currently offline Click here to Send Daywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Daywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bishop777
X-Treme X.S.E.

113, you are right, they did intend for it to be cheesy and campy. Problem is, is that it isn't just a slap in the face to people who expected more out of a long-awaited production about a super-hero; it's a slap in the face of this entire movie's audience when it is dumbed-down because these producers, directors and writers don't think the audience can handle a sophisticated movie. But the real problem is that they are probably right. People got pimped slapped up and down by going to the movie multiple times, purchasing a so-so game and the special collector's edition of the movie.

The Hulk was not cheesy as I and Steely Balls understand the definition of the word cheesy. It realized that Banner was a tortured soul struggling to keep his bestial alter-ego in check, without stupid jokes and smart-ass quips. Although it hasn't been used here, everyone always remarks "could you have made a better movie?"
In all honesty, I could have consulted to help make Spider-Man a better movie, instead of the appointed yes-man Avi Arad. Is there something he won't approve?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 09:03 AM
Linkalicious

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Well a Spider-Man movie wasnt made,even though sony successfully fooled people like you with no logic into thinking so.This was a phony neautered version of hollywoods,spider-man is a guy with chemical webshooters,thats not the guy we saw on the screen,Man-spider is the person we saw.as far as I know,there are not that many actors out there in real life who have BOTH the size and the strength that Kingpin has so Clark was a good choice.I can compare it because a black Kingpin is a reasonable change unlike that organic bullcrap.Man your points are pitiful.

So you keep calling him manspider because.....? u hoping someone might be dumb enough to jump on your bandwagon here? I agree the organics are dumb and inaccurate, but it made it much easier to explain than "oh Peter took months perfecting his web shooter so that the webbing was both strong and bio-degradable and also able to launch an undeterminable amount or length" how do you suggest they would explain how Peter figured out how to compact huge amounts of webbing into a capsule the size of a NyQuil Jel Cap. Atleast the organics are a reasonable change. And the only thing I have to say about your beliefs about the black king pin is....would it be a reasonable change to make Blade a white boy? (help me out here Daywalker) And don't tell me my points are pitiful because your logic is non-exsistent.

Last edited by Linkalicious on Dec 16th, 2003 at 04:10 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 04:00 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

No your the guy who has non existent logic with that moronic statement that organics are a minor change.If it were such a minor change there would not be so many people out there still pissed about it.and No I'm not trying to get anybody here to jump on my bandwagon,I just havent been brainwashed like you have into believeing a spiderman movie has been made when there hasnt been one made yet.this was a phony neautered version of hollywoods.Man-spider is who we got stuck with.See I care if hollywood rapes to death a great character unlike you and many others so I refuse to call this phony neautered version of hollywoods spider-man because that wasnt the true Peter Parker under the costume.You've been so brainwashed by hollywood your hopeless to be reasoned with though,I give up.I'm done with you.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 06:46 PM
Mr Parker

You Man-spider fans got the dumbest logic.You like organics then your not a fan of spider-man your a fan of Man-spider.Organics=Man-spider.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 11:21 PM
VengeanceGOD

Dude, drop the man-spider. Even I think you sound like an idiot, and I'm on YOUR SIDE.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 11:38 PM
VengeanceGOD is currently offline Click here to Send VengeanceGOD a Private Message Find more posts by VengeanceGOD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

I have a feeling the organics dont bother you that much then? Okay I'll stay off your thread then.really I know it SOUNDS crazy to call him Man-spider but really it makes sense when you think about it. He's a monster now because of those freaking organics,the reason being is because organics are disgusting and gross.Before he was more man than spider,so SPIDER-"MAN" made sense.Now he is MORE Spider than he is man with the organics,so MAN-"SPIDER" is really more what he is.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Dec 17th, 2003 at 12:17 AM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 12:09 AM
VengeanceGOD

We understand. You've just said it 4,692 times.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 02:28 AM
VengeanceGOD is currently offline Click here to Send VengeanceGOD a Private Message Find more posts by VengeanceGOD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Daywalker
Vigilante

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
And the only thing I have to say about your beliefs about the black king pin is....would it be a reasonable change to make Blade a white boy? (help me out here Daywalker) And don't tell me my points are pitiful because your logic is non-exsistent.

Well since Wesley has been cemented into the role now, it probably would be funny seeing a blonde haired blue eyed guy running around all in leather with a sword on his back. Visually it would throw me off but if you think about it, Blade's ethnic background isn't really key to the character but the cool factor that Wesley brought to the character is. But hey, there's always Angel laughing out loud

But back to the topic, it was mentioned earlier about being a true follower of the comicbook blah blah blah. Although I don't follow Spider-Man as close as I used to, I grew up with "ole webhead" from the earlier cartoons and comics and that's where the real essence of the character is. Spider-Man had been around for a long time and you can't just jump in the middle of his life and make a movie about it (like basing it off of the current comic story line). Spidey has been waiting on a movie deal for so long and has so many fans new and old that the origin story if very fitting. The movie wasn't perfect but I wouldn't rate it as crap.

Blade

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 09:46 AM
Daywalker is currently offline Click here to Send Daywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Daywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VengeanceGOD

I don't disagree with the storyline-the overall concept was very good. But the characters were 1 dimensional, and the movie was filled with bad cliches. I wanted to throw something at the screen whenever a cheesy line popped out like "We'll meet again, Spider-man!"

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 07:09 PM
Linkalicious

those cliches are what make up comic books. "friendly neighborhood spiderman!" i just don't like how Toby Maguire hoots and hollars when he's web slinging. He should just shut up and swing.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 11:02 PM