KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » The Beatles

The Beatles
Started by: A BaD PanCaKe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (43): « First ... « 37 38 [39] 40 41 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
But I'm not saying Ringo is the greatest. I'm asking who is more skilled than Ringo.

AC don't talk about silly. You're quoting me and addressing BobbyD. But thanks for addressing my question.
I think he replied to you after the part he quoted by you and to Bobby after the part where he quoted him.

I might be wrong though. [edit] I am, nevermind.

Also, AC named someone, Terry Bozzio is factually more skilled.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 08:42 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
No, you're wrong. In terms of his music, he can "suck" according to taste.

Well that is a shame. But, that is not how I think.

Nobody can say with any credibility that he sucks as a musician, but if someone said "He sucks.", as Schecter did about The Beatles, they're not "wrong".

No they are not I suppose, but then let's agree to call it sad if one thinks that way.

You think that by picking an artist I enjoy I will be blinded and prove myself a hypocrite? No, because that isn't sensible

Correct, nor was I going to call you one. Perhaps, I want you to finally understand how I think! That's why I think you logic is warped!
Perhaps it's just we get to the same end by different means.

I'm not mudslinging, but you're yet again trying to objectively claim The Beatles are something they are/are not necessarily. It's entirely opinion.

-AC

So one saying Michael Jordan sucked is opinion? Wayne Gretzky? Pele? I suppose it's subjective then too?

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 08:42 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

But I'm not saying Ringo is the greatest. I'm asking who is more skilled than Ringo.

Lots! big grin

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 08:43 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BobbyD
Well that is a shame. But, that is not how I think.

It's not up to you to decide, that's where you're wrong. It's not subjective whether or not it's subjective. It is.

No they are not I suppose, but then let's agree to call it sad if one thinks that way.

I don't get sad when people don't like Prince, I don't give a shit. I like him, why do I need to worry about anyone else?

Correct, nor was I going to call you one. Perhaps, I want you to finally understand how I think! That's why I think you logic is warped!
Perhaps it's just we get to the same end by different means.

No, I just use logic.

So one saying Michael Jordan sucked is opinion? Wayne Gretzky? Pele? I suppose it's subjective then too?

If you didn't enjoy any of their styles of play and thought they sucked, yes, it's subjective. If you said "Pele was an unsuccessful footballer, statistically.", then you'd have to back it up with objective claims.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 08:46 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

It's not up to you to decide, that's where you're wrong. It's not subjective whether or not it's subjective. It is.

Then you paint to wide for some things and not wide enough for others. You're inconsistent.

I don't get sad when people don't like Prince, I don't give a shit. I like him, why do I need to worry about anyone else?
Exactly!

No, I just use logic.

Whatever. I'll just dismiss this one.

If you didn't enjoy any of their styles of play and thought they sucked, yes, it's subjective. If you said "Pele was an unsuccessful footballer, statistically.", then you'd have to back it up with objective claims.

-AC
But who in their right minds says Pele was unsuccessful statistically? C'mon AC. Where are you going with this? Who is going to say the Beatles sucked statistically? They rock in sales which is statistical data. They win in polls, statistical yet a sample of opinion nonetheless. You're playing both sides to the same argument.

But no other band is thought of as highly. You can dismiss this. It's okay-you are entitled to. But that is fact, be it opinion or not that are always often referred to as the greatest.

I like them. You know this. This whole board knows this. I say they are the greatest ever. You can disagree. ..have disagreed. I have backed up my points. You have dismissed them. It's ok. I know where you stand. I know how you think now....almost like I know the back of my hand. ...nor do that I mean that negatively.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 09:03 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then you paint to wide for some things and not wide enough for others. You're inconsistent.

I'm not being inconsistent, you can't keep up.

But who in their right minds says Pele was unsuccessful statistically? C'mon AC. Where are you going with this? Who is going to say the Beatles sucked statistically? They rock in sales which is statistical data. They win in polls, statistical yet a sample of opinion nonetheless. You're playing both sides to the same argument.

No I'm not. I'd never deny their commercial success, it means nothing besides commercial success and commercial success doesn't mean you are good.

If someone says "The Beatles sucked.", you cannot say "No they didn't." as if it's fact. Because "No they didn't." is as much opinion as "They Beatles sucked.".

But no other band is thought of as highly. You can dismiss this. It's okay-you are entitled to. But that is fact, be it opinion or not that are always often referred to as the greatest.

So what? It means nothing. I'm not denying they are often thought of that way, but there are reasons, many, to disagree. They have a social stigma that people feel they have to agree.

You seem to think they have reached this status 100% fairly, and that's ridiculous.

I like them. You know this. This whole board knows this. I say they are the greatest ever. You can disagree. ..have disagreed. I have backed up my points. You have dismissed them. It's ok. I know where you stand. I know how you think now....almost like I know the back of my hand. ...nor do that I mean that negatively.

You haven't got a clue, that's the sad thing. The more we debate, the more you do NOT get what I'm saying. You will never understand because your bias doesn't allow it, Bob.

I have dismissed your points because they are hardly relevant. You have a tendancy to go off into random Beatlemaniac tangents one moment and then come back the next.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 09:08 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

I'm not being inconsistent, you can't keep up.

Uh...hello!?

No I'm not. I'd never deny their commercial success, it means nothing besides commercial success and commercial success doesn't mean you are good.

If someone says "The Beatles sucked.", you cannot say "No they didn't." as if it's fact. Because "No they didn't." is as much opinion as "They Beatles sucked."
Point taken. ..though we shall have to agree to disagree on this as part of their brilliance. I say it should stand for something. You say it shouldn't. Tomato, ta-mah-toe

They have a social stigma that people feel they have to agree.
But, I do not force this on people!

You seem to think they have reached this status 100% fairly, and that's ridiculous.

Perhaps.

You haven't got a clue, that's the sad thing. The more we debate, the more you do NOT get what I'm saying. You will never understand because your bias doesn't allow it, Bob.

I have dismissed your points because they are hardly relevant. You have a tendancy to go off into random Beatlemaniac tangents one moment and then come back the next.

-AC
Okay, see this is where you call my stance being caught up in the fever of Beatlemania. But, it's not. Most Beatlemaniacs rightfully or wrongfully so would have dismissed your argument/points a long time ago as null and void, or someone who clearly does not know anything about music-even though I know otherwise. We shall have to agree to disagree, that's all dude.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 11:36 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Point taken. ..though we shall have to agree to disagree on this as part of their brilliance. I say it should stand for something. You say it shouldn't. Tomato, ta-mah-toe

You are implying their "brilliance" is there factually, and it's just agree to disagree on how we recognise it. What you need to accept is that it's not fact, they are not factually brilliant, they are not factually shit. They're not factually anything when it comes to personal taste.

But, I do not force this on people!

You do. You may not mean to, but you do.

You've said yourself that people should accept The Beatles as the greatest ever because society says so. Your previous opinions led me to believe you weren't joking.

Okay, see this is where you call my stance being caught up in the fever of Beatlemania. But, it's not. Most Beatlemaniacs rightfully or wrongfully so would have dismissed your argument/points a long time ago as null and void, or someone who clearly does not know anything about music-even though I know otherwise. We shall have to agree to disagree, that's all dude.

Fair enough, I can respect that.

It's a word I use to describe people blindly biased toward The Beatles to any degree. Nothing personal.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 11:41 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

It's a word I use to describe people blindly biased toward The Beatles to any degree. Nothing personal.

-AC

But shouldn't you do that to other fanbases that think their favorite band is greater than anything. Gotta be fair.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 11:45 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

How and why, are people still struggling with the concepts of subjective and objective?

Actual idiots.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 11:45 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

Beatles pwn all. enough said.happy

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:00 AM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

But shouldn't you do that to other fanbases that think their favorite band is greater than anything. Gotta be fair.

Batman pwns all too.
love

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:01 AM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why? Whatever gave you the idea that people are obligated to do such things?

People with either shit taste (Subjective, of course) or low confidence only say those things. I couldn't give a shit what people say about Prince, Tool, Radiohead or anything. I like them, I know how I perceive them. I'll discuss them, sure, but ultimately, I'm not gonna get upset if anyone has a pop, cos I'm confident enough in my taste.

Originally posted by Punkyhermy
Beatles pwn all. enough said.happy

Haha, "Enough" said. As if you could ever contribute more to this thread than "Beatles pwn all.".

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Nov 14th, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:02 AM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just a note to anyone who does say ''Beatles are the best band of all time!!''. Please just pay attention to the fact that people are going to feel differently, they're not factually anything more than a successful band. Don't make claims that are factually incorrect and pose them as fact.

I'm sure this has been said before by both AC and Bardock. I am by no means jumping on any bandwagon (unlike many Beatles fans), I just feel strongly about this.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:10 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Punkyhermy
Batman pwns all too.
love

Hiya Punky!

People with either shit taste (Subjective, of course) or low confidence only say those things. I couldn't give a shit what people say about Prince, Tool, Radiohead or anything. I like them, I know how I perceive them. I'll discuss them, sure, but ultimately, I'm not gonna get upset if anyone has a pop, cos I'm confident enough in my taste.

-AC

You know, you only have change Prince, Tool, Radiohead to The Beatles in your post and you've would sound like a Beatles fan.

Guess you aren't much different than a Beatles fan.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:12 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Hiya Punky!

You know, you only have change Prince, Tool, Radiohead to The Beatles in your post and you've would sound like a Beatles fan.

A beatles fan, yes.

One of those hardcore "Beatles are the best band ever no contest" morons...no, not really.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:15 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

If I ever sing their praises, it's about their music or their ability. I'm not in here citing record sales, popular opinion or voting polls. More importantly, I'm not going around claiming my taste is factually anything other than my own taste. It's as subjective as anybody's, but I am comfortable enough with it that I do not give a shit what people think of my taste, because...why should I? Nobody should care what anybody thinks of the music they like.

Your lack of understanding fails you yet again.

It's also rather hypocritical, isn't it? You, in here, telling me not to make fun of, nor pick on or talk down to, people who consider something I don't like as much, the greatest ever.

Hypocritical because:

A) I'm not doing that.

B) You recently did just that in another thread, didn't you? Where was your respect for subjective taste then? Do yourself a favour, WD, grab some consistency of opinion then rejoin us.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Nov 14th, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:15 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Bardock42
A beatles fan, yes.

One of those hardcore "Beatles are the best band ever no contest" morons...no, not really.

I would change morons to fanatics.

I mean come on...any band have fanatics...pretty much everything have fanaticism...

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:17 AM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I mean come on...any band have fanatics...pretty much everything have fanaticism...

Somewhat interchangeable.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:19 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

So if I were to say The Beatles were fans who got suckered in by massive hype and reputation that actually and factually creates the illusion that they were more than they were...what would YOU say to that WD?

Hmm, this WILL be a most interesting answer.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 12:20 AM