KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » star signs

star signs
Started by: Lara

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 5 6 [7]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yerssot

*steels brains from Ratcat in a last attempt to get what they are talking about*
*brains are put in yerssots head*
*yerss falls down because the brains are too heavy*
Here, you can have them back!

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:31 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I don't think I made myself 100% clear, in that case. I was not, of course, assuming that we knew all the rules. I just meant that astrology has to be put on the same level as everything else; until we can prove it it has to remain a 'non-scientific' thing. Science can't afford to give things the benefit of the doubt, it works on solid grounding, which is the 'rules; I was referring to.

I think I should make clear, as I was saying to Dim the other, day, that I am not an active astrology knocker. Just at the end of the day, you have to treat it like everything else.

And spacetime gets pretty darn complex once relativity gets into the equation and you have lights that are on and also off according to where you are, and so on. Twists up MY head, anyway... but then, I'm no scientist.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:31 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

That is actually very true Mah. Time, as we know it, may very well have not existed and is therefore irrelevant, however the linear measurement is still a valid expression for dating purposes.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:33 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Ratcat
No, no, no, no,no! The word universe discribes a concept that may not be accurate. Multiverse theory, and the very term 'Multiverse', are just sitting on the sidelines, waiting to leap in.

Actually, RC that is a mis-use of the term universe. Multiverse (many things) is simplu used to define the concept of there being many places in the form of what we imagine reality to be.

But the Universe is EVERYTHING. That is what it means, there can be no other thing. How can there be more than one 'everything'? That's nonsense.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

OH, I think I get you, I'm just saying that, as we clearly do not have the full rule book, it would be irresponcible, rationally, logically or scientifically to disallow the theory of astrology, or anything else for that matter.

The very best we could say at the point is;

"Not conclusively proven, not conclusively disproven..."

And if you have problems with space time and lamps, easy to solve, remove the bulb!!! laughing out loud

OK, I'm off to given myself a headache by staring at the ceieling while I contemplate thje nature of the universe! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:39 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Actually, RC that is a mis-use of the term universe. Multiverse (many things) is simplu used to define the concept of there being many places in the form of what we imagine reality to be.

But the Universe is EVERYTHING. That is what it means, there can be no other thing. How can there be more than one 'everything'? That's nonsense.
But that isn't strictly the meaning of the word. The problem there lies in the use of a term that was invented some many years ago, but has been adapted in use to for todays wider understanding.

u·ni·verse (yn-vûrs)
n.
All matter and energy, including the earth, the galaxies, and the contents of intergalactic space, regarded as a whole.

The earth together with all its inhabitants and created things.
The human race.
The sphere or realm in which something exists or takes place.

Multiverse theory allows for multiple 'intergalactic space' or space-time continuity streams.

In the end the word Universe is simply a word that fit out understanding at the time, and was for then on adapted. It is not inconcievable that the term may be dropped, or redefined again in the future.

You can not argue multiple space-time streams on the basis of out moded use of terminology. It may not be out moded yet, but the time may come when it is.

Or perhaps the time is already here, but we haven't walked through the doorway yet... wink

Last edited by Ratcat on Nov 24th, 2001 at 11:50 PM

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:47 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, that's just weird. What's the point of having a word that means 'everything' and then decide to give limits to what it means?

I mean, they only have to invent another word that means 'everything' if they do that.

Oh well. I guess it's too much to expect physicsts to understand decent english...

BtVS

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:49 PM
Ratcat

Totally not true, the word meant everything in the concept of what we knew everything to be. If that concept were to change significantly then so might the terminology.

Besides, the word Universe surely comes from the term Uni, or one, as in simgular. It more than one exists, then surely Multi would then be a more apt desciption?

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:53 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, no, the word was desinged to include everything. Just because they didn;t know what everything was does NOT change what everything MEANS.

And Uni in that sense means 'all', not one.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 24th, 2001 11:57 PM
Aquarius87
How many miles to babylon

Good point ratcat,your older than most of us i take it,you should be called ratcat the wise
hehe smile

Old Post Nov 25th, 2001 01:44 AM
Aquarius87 is currently offline Click here to Send Aquarius87 a Private Message Find more posts by Aquarius87 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Which point of RC's are you talking about?

Uni definitely means 'all' in universal. Hecne universal adaptor can fit anything, not just one thing, Star Trek's universal translator can translate all lanugages, not just one, a univeral solution would solve anything, and a universal theory is one designed to fit every situation.

OPf course, a unicycle only has one wheel. It depnds on the deriviation and whether it is coming from Freek or ROman.

But anyway, universe literally translated means 'all things' There cannot be any more or less than that, by definition.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 25th, 2001 11:02 AM
Ratcat

Fortunately not all members of the Human race are THAT narrow minded though Ush. If the word no longer fits then it will be redefined or dropped.

But if the basis of this discussion is going to fall down to semantics then that's all rather pointless.

After all, I really have no problem because it makes absolutely no difference to my points, just drop the word universe and replace it with space time reality.

Then we can forget the smokescreening. big grin

Old Post Nov 25th, 2001 06:31 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It is NOTHING to do with narrow-mindedness. It is simply what the word MEANS. I'd equally point out the error if someone said a wheelchair was a bird.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 25th, 2001 08:17 PM
queeq
Chaos

About the evidence thing.. ah shucks.... well I didn't make myself perfectly clear I'm afraid but it's too far gone anyway. BUT... there is light at the end of the tunnel: off topic and over 100. big grin

Closing!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2001 09:34 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote