KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Foreign Cinema » Which country would you say produces the Best foreign Films

Which country would you say produces the Best foreign Films
Started by: SandyMartinez17

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SandyMartinez17

Which country would you say produces the Best foreign Films

So which country would you say produces the best foreign flicks? France, Italy or Brazil. And which are asome of your favorites. I love brazilian movies personally i.e. city of god and central station. Also does Israel release any good movies?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 10:21 PM
SandyMartinez17 is currently offline Click here to Send SandyMartinez17 a Private Message Find more posts by SandyMartinez17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P
living bank advertisement

I would say France embarrasment Even if we do a lot of tiny useless movies, we have a good film industry.
Amelie, Winged Migration,...

Go France !!! (please log in to view the image)
j/k stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 10:32 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

This is one of the worst questions ever. Countries don't make movies! Directors, actors, and many others make a good movies. Not the freakin citizens. Dont classify movies in terms of countries.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 10:42 PM
Neo_Version 7 is currently offline Click here to Send Neo_Version 7 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_Version 7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

Well without the ppls money and goverment aproval no movie is made in Portugal. No cash! lol wink
Saw 2 really good portuguese movies: "Os Imortais" (The imortals) and "Preto e branco" (Black and White) wondering how many others there are.
France has some cool movies like Amelie, Brazil has awesome movies cos they are very truthful (I have to see City of God!)

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 11:00 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
This is one of the worst questions ever. Countries don't make movies! Directors, actors, and many others make a good movies. Not the freakin citizens. Dont classify movies in terms of countries.
Well technically, you can. French movies are (mostly) quite different from american movies. It is the same with British, Italian, Brazilian, Indian, Japanese movies. Every country has its own culture and its movies are not like its neighbours' (cos you don't make a movie the same way in all countries) and every director is influenced by its culture (for example, the way Jean-Pierre Jeunet has made "Alien 4" is quite different for Ridley Scott's way, even though Jeunet had to work in the American industry) . Even though technics is the same and the fact that because of globalization films tend to be similar, you can of course talk in terms of countries.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 11:06 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P

Spain has also produced some good movies.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 11:11 PM
Kes
Philie

quote:
Originally posted by G.P
Well technically, you can. French movies are (mostly) quite different from american movies. It is the same with British, Italian, Brazilian, Indian, Japanese movies. Every country has its own culture and its movies are not like its neighbours' (cos you don't make a movie the same way in all countries) and every director is influenced by its culture (for example, the way Jean-Pierre Jeunet has made "Alien 4" is quite different for Ridley Scott's way, even though Jeunet had to work in the American industry) . Even though technics is the same and the fact that because of globalization films tend to be similar, you can of course talk in terms of countries.
Not to mention that most movies dont have the cash America has to make movies!

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 11:18 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
johnny_rotten

Considering most movies are made in the USA, I have to say that "britain" make the best "foreign" movies. But France have made some real corkers to be honest

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 10:35 AM
johnny_rotten is currently offline Click here to Send johnny_rotten a Private Message Find more posts by johnny_rotten Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

yeah i think Britain make some cool movies. i dont really cast them as foreign films cos apart from the accents there pretty much the same as over here. Lock Stock and Snatch were good, and so was The Full Monty. China make good films aswell. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon being the most obvious one.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 10:48 AM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Technically speaking no-one makes foreign movies, because what is foreign to you is natural to them. I know it is tiresomely pedantic to put it like that, but to put it another way... on a multi-national board (which is British in origin), the question should be which non-US country makes the best movies, not who makes the best foreign ones.

Or we could go by the Hollywood definition of Foreign, which basically means non-English speaking.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 12:49 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i would say america makes the best movies which are foreign to every other country

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 03:08 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SandyMartinez17

Have you seen the compilation of short/foreign films called watching you. They have one movie from australia and israel in there. I must confess I have never seen a movie from either of those countries (i know that is terrible to admit) but I don't know of any other movies from either of those countries. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 03:52 PM
SandyMartinez17 is currently offline Click here to Send SandyMartinez17 a Private Message Find more posts by SandyMartinez17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alic88
Barzakh

INDIA HAHA.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 04:16 PM
alic88 is currently offline Click here to Send alic88 a Private Message Find more posts by alic88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I gotta go with China, Japan, Mexico, and Brazil have the best foreign films right now.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 05:33 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P

quote:
Originally posted by SandyMartinez17
Have you seen the compilation of short/foreign films called watching you. They have one movie from australia and israel in there. I must confess I have never seen a movie from either of those countries (i know that is terrible to admit) but I don't know of any other movies from either of those countries. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Australia : Peter Weir's (and Philip Noyce's) films (before they work for Hollywood, that goes without saying)

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 06:11 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Being a horror fan, I'd have to say Italy, I've seen some great Italian horror films - Cannibal Holocaust and Susperia just to name a few.

Outside of horror films, I'll say France, they've made some damn fine movies as well, like Irreversible and Amelie. England is also worth mentioning for 28 days later, dog soldiers, and Trainspotting.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 06:12 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P

I think British films are also very good... (I'm a Monty Python fan, but also Trainspotting,...)

Last edited by G.P on Dec 19th, 2003 at 06:17 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 06:14 PM
yerssot

I think almost every country has the ability to make good movies, you just don't need to expect any holywoodian kinds of movies
that said ... I have to say France has some good ones (the multi-quoted Amélie in example, La Haine, ... ), UK has some good ones, etc.
Even have to say that Belgium is doing better again

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 12:45 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
movie_freak

UK,China & Japan

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 04:32 AM
movie_freak is currently offline Click here to Send movie_freak a Private Message Find more posts by movie_freak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

My favorite would have to be Japanese movies, though I also like a lot of movies from Britain and France.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 21st, 2003 02:20 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote