KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » His Dark Materials

Which was the best for you?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Northern Lights 8 33.33%
The Subtle Knife 5 20.83%
The Amber Spyglass 11 45.83%
Total: 24 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

His Dark Materials
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Syren
dreaming

His Dark Materials

This Trilogy, by Phillip Pullman, is freakin amazing! If you've read them (or even if you haven't), chat to me here. Let me know your opinion on Northern Lights, how you felt about The Subtle Knife, and what you thoght of The Amber Spyglass, I want to know!

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 10:35 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

er sorry i never read them

Old Post Dec 21st, 2003 12:57 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EOWYN3

I think the first one was the best, but as a whole, they're quite good.

I thought the first one was called "The Golden Compass?" (Maybe that's the U.S. version).

Old Post Dec 21st, 2003 07:11 AM
EOWYN3 is currently offline Click here to Send EOWYN3 a Private Message Find more posts by EOWYN3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
merlyn523

Yeah, The Golden Compass is the US name for Northern Lights. They're great books if you guys haven't read them... really unique sci-fi fantasy stuff, so if you're looking for something to read after LotR or HP, definitely check out His Dark Materials. It goes pretty deep at times into religion and morality, and the story is a lot darker than HP or most of LotR, but it's an amazing story.

There's a movie version coming out in 2005 (roughly), which New Line is taking on now that LotR is over. Tom Stoppard (Enigma, Empire of the Sun, Shakespeare in Love) is writing the screenplay, so it's expected to be pretty good. Sam Mendes was rumored to be a possible director candidate, but they haven't picked anybody yet.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 12:31 AM
merlyn523 is currently offline Click here to Send merlyn523 a Private Message Find more posts by merlyn523 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EOWYN3

A movie? That'll be awesome (hopefully)!

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 08:45 AM
EOWYN3 is currently offline Click here to Send EOWYN3 a Private Message Find more posts by EOWYN3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crazy_c
Very Tired

I thought the subtle knife was the best the northern lights then the amber spyglass. I didnt really like the amber spyglass. there was just something i didnt like aboot it, though i dont know what

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 08:57 PM
crazy_c is currently offline Click here to Send crazy_c a Private Message Find more posts by crazy_c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EOWYN3

The Amber Spyglass was wrapped up a little too neatly--I liked the innocence portrayed in the first two, but I guess what happened in the Amber Spyglass was inevitable. I didn't like Mary Malone's part too much.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2004 03:11 AM
Peach
mordrem

I love His Dark Materials -- an excellent series. I liked The Golden Compass/Northern Lights the best of the three, myself...but all three are excellent books and I'd recommend them to anyone who likes Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

As for the movie, I'm all for it, so long as they stay true to the book yes

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 04:22 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

I dont want to see them make a film out of it.
Will spoil it :/

I dont know about you, but i prefer armoured bears and tiny little people on dragonflies kept in my imagination.

But i loved the books

Im on a downer, i finished them

The ending is amazing, not the 'they all lived happily ever' kind happy but its so sad

Im Back happy

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 11:41 AM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evy_O
don't let go

I read Northern Lights and I'm through the second one now eek!
they are great, I love the way he writes

shallow me, then spit me out
for hating you I blame myself
seeing you it kills me now
no, I don't cry on the outside anymore...

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 10:35 PM
Evy_O is currently offline Click here to Send Evy_O a Private Message Find more posts by Evy_O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Northern Lights is a much more complete and well paced book - but for some reason I have a huge soft spot for the subtle knife. I expect it's because I was waiting for it to be published like I was going out of my MIND!

I'm not so sure about the movies - but the stage version they did here last Xmas was amazing.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 10:40 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

Any book about the overthrow of God has to be good... I recommend that you get hold of a copy of The Book of Enoch.... the Catholic Church got rid of it from the Bible a few hundred years ago( despite God saying not to, but thats another story...) and it has vague and tantalising hints that the "ruler" in Heaven is not the creator, and that "God" did not win the war in Heaven..... it was abig influence on both Paradise Lost an His Dark Materials....

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 10:54 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Probably the best series of books I've read, just blends everything you love about books into one setting.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:30 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elanor
Be@st's Wife

omg i love these books! i dont have a favourite one but if i have to choose maybe the northen lights. (ive read it years ago first time and then i didnt even know that it had more parts. but then i learnt it and i reread the northern lights and then the other two.)

i love the whole story with mary malone and all.
the movie will be interesting....i hope they wont screw it up messed

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 04:24 PM
Elanor is currently offline Click here to Send Elanor a Private Message Find more posts by Elanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Northern Lights was by far the best; The Amber Spyglass was by far the worst. The conclusion was lower than anticlimactic, serving us a revolting example of puppy love and a cat fight between Metatron and the gruesome twosome. The demise of the Authority is not even worth mentioning.

Question to the more scholarly members (if any): do you think it correct of Amazon to point out that though Pullman scorns religion, his idea that individuality is something to be overcome is reminiscent of that theme in Eastern religions?

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2004 12:07 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrSpangle
Confused Anarchist

yes i agree blink i think...
anywho... this series ruled. the best character was easily iorek the armored bear. damn he rocked. lol. i actually liked the idea of overthrowing god. *chuckle*. although it did annoy a few overzealous chistians that i know laughing

Old Post Sep 25th, 2004 09:49 AM
MrSpangle is currently offline Click here to Send MrSpangle a Private Message Find more posts by MrSpangle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wayne hall

In the future there will be those who think that HDM is better than LOTR......... and those who haven’t yet read it.

Northern Lights was possible the best of the trilogy, followed by the Amber spyglass, which wrapped things up quite nicely. The subtle Knife lacked some of the strength of the other two, but only about 5% or so!

Truly moving and thought provoking. I read all three in a single volume, one after the other, over four or five weeks and could not settle to any other book for quite some time afterwards.

A similar anti/questioning of religion theme can be found in the Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. A more "grown up" book but with a shocking and moving climax.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 02:28 PM
wayne hall is currently offline Click here to Send wayne hall a Private Message Find more posts by wayne hall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Krexo

I absolutly loved these books. Everything fitted together, made you think, was very philosophical in tons of ways. The battle scenes and scenes where Lyra is captured (eg By the ' Gobblers') are very captivating.

Theres another book being released, called ' The book of Dust' which will take on the fours years after the happenings of The Amber Spyglass. Charaters will include Lyra (obviously) Serafina a few others. Cant wait big grin

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 04:52 PM
Krexo is currently offline Click here to Send Krexo a Private Message Find more posts by Krexo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peanuthead

I LOVED THOSE BOOKSbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Time heals all things... except these crazy eyes. - Mr Deeds

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 01:27 AM
peanuthead is currently offline Click here to Send peanuthead a Private Message Find more posts by peanuthead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lyra Rose
out of control

they are great

Old Post Feb 28th, 2005 10:20 AM
Lyra Rose is currently offline Click here to Send Lyra Rose a Private Message Find more posts by Lyra Rose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote