KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What to do?

What to do?
Started by: mechmoggy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

What to do?

Mrs.Mechmoggy is on the verge of accepting a new job in B'ham, the catch is the financial headquarters is in Kent and if she does accept the job she'll, no we'll, be expected to move there in a year or two. I don't want to stand in the way of her career and I hear that Kent is lovely but......I dunno. sad

Old Post Nov 27th, 2001 01:17 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lara
Belladonna

oh! thats a toughie!

be who you are not what they want you to be!

blessed be x

Old Post Nov 27th, 2001 03:22 PM
Lara is currently offline Click here to Send Lara a Private Message Find more posts by Lara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

hey, you love her, right? what does your hart tell you?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2001 04:38 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

go to kent it might surprise you in a positive way smile

Old Post Nov 27th, 2001 05:05 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Kent is great, but a lot more expensive that Birmingham when it comes to buying a house.

Plus prices on one side of Kent can be completely different to the other side. If we sold out little terraced house in Dartford and moved about 50 miles further out from London then we could probebly get a 4 bedroomed detached for the same money....

Old Post Nov 27th, 2001 05:39 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keokiswahine
Confusion

write down all the positives to this move on the left side of a sheet of paper, and all the negatives on the right hand side. This will give you an idea what the balance is, would this move be a positive or negative. Look at the big picture, job, housing, cost of living (food, fuel, petrol, rent, mortage, proximity to stores), transportation, house and car insurance rates, distance to family, commuting, school for your children, child care, church, future job growth for both of you, your own job future--what will you be doing? your job status? Bored now? Time for a new adventure?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2001 05:47 PM
keokiswahine is currently offline Click here to Send keokiswahine a Private Message Find more posts by keokiswahine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Thankfully for us Keo, a lot of those things don't vary by that much between the regions.

Remember, you could fit the land space of England into most of the States of the US.

Good point though, I think the key ones are Property Prices (Rented or Bought) and Motor/Property Insurances

Things like Motor Fuel, Food/Groceries, Utilities and Mortgages don't really change that much at all.

Obviously the location of schools, public and private transportation networks and stores need to be considered but Kent is pretty well equiped as a whole, even in the villages nowadays.

As far as Church goes, if it's good old Christain faster, son and the holy ghost then you won't have any problem there and most other denominations are pretty well covered unless you're planning on going right out in the sticks.

Childcare is a biggy, though I seem to remember that it doesn't effect the moggy's at this time.

Mechmoggy, if you want anything specific on Kent then you might try the Kent website run by the Kent County Council

http://www.kent.gov.uk

Also, if you want anything specific, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help out.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2001 06:00 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

We're putting the decision off till the weekend. Think I'm just frightened of change. If I remember correctly there are always engineering jobs being advertised for Kent, so work for me shouldn't be a problem, except I'll have to loose my partnership stake in my business, but I've been thinking about a change soon anyway.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2001 10:32 AM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Go for it.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2001 11:32 AM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lara
Belladonna

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot
hey, you love her, right? what does your hart tell you?

Yerss its heart! not hart!*tut* roll eyes (sarcastic)

blessed be x

Old Post Nov 28th, 2001 03:27 PM
Lara is currently offline Click here to Send Lara a Private Message Find more posts by Lara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

sorry sad
won't make the mistake again!

Old Post Nov 28th, 2001 03:30 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lara
Belladonna

I didnt have to correct you. I just felt like being nice. smile

blessed be x

Old Post Nov 28th, 2001 03:50 PM
yerssot

but you are already nice!

Old Post Nov 28th, 2001 03:55 PM
Ratcat

Mech, what kind of Engineering do you do?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2001 06:43 PM
Dim
Creativity

I don't know mech..it seems like 24 is a bit young to be anchoring yourself to any one place..I say take the chance while you're both still young and you don't have a big family to worry about.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 01:21 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keokiswahine
Confusion

GO FOR IT, MECH. HAVE AN ADVENTURE WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG. Don't wait until you have 6 kids....... big grin big grin big grin

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 05:59 AM
keokiswahine is currently offline Click here to Send keokiswahine a Private Message Find more posts by keokiswahine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

6 kids!!! You know I'm not really a cat don't you Keo? laughing out loud

I'm a manufacturing engineer RC. Sometimes called that or production engineer or mechanical support engineer. Many guises have I. big grin

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 10:11 AM
Ratcat

If I were you Mech I'd go for it. Besides, in a country like ours it's not a massive move to make.

I would always say it is better to take the risk than to ignore it and be constantly wondering 'What if?' If it turns around and bites you on the ass then at least you will have given it a go.

Besides, no one has a 'Job for Life' anymore so chances are you'd be looking to move on sometime, why not use this as the ideal opportunity to broaden your horizons at the same time. smile

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 01:06 PM
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

I'm still in shock that your advising me to move RC. You do realise that house prices in Kent will fall rapidly on my moving there? eek!

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 01:26 PM
keokiswahine
Confusion

go for it, mech; have an new adventure now, and support your lady in her career. Most women have to follow their men around and never get to follow their own employment dreams. Let her have hers, and you never know, it may turn out you got the better deal in your own employment status. smile

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 03:06 PM