KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Which Books Had The Most Impact On You?

Which Books Had The Most Impact On You?
Started by: BOPRecruit 16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

Which Books Had The Most Impact On You?

which books have you read that had the most impact on you or meant most to you? (emotionally and personally, etc.)

as for me, it was the outsiders. ever since i read it in sixth grade, it did and always will get to me. it's so deep and real.

your turn people!

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Dec 27th, 2003 06:05 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

wow,what a great question BOPRecruit 16!

for me it would have to be 'conversations with god'.I felt truly enlightened after reading this book

Old Post Dec 27th, 2003 06:27 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

what was that book about and who was it by?

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Dec 27th, 2003 06:30 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

theres actually a couple of them but this is the first one:Conversations with God : An Uncommon Dialogue (Book 1)
By Neale Donald Walsch

the author says he had a actual conversation with god and asked some serious questions.but its up to the reader to believe he had the conversation but the content of the book gives the reader new ideas about God, their relationship with God, and to look at their own spirituality.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2003 08:05 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

sounds great, but i'm not religious.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2003 10:31 AM
Aesma
A Sweet Breath

Hrmm... quite a lot.

Sun Tzu's Art of War, I've read a couple of different translations so I won't list them all, I haven't really finished 'cause I have to read some of it a few times to absorb its meaning.

A short version of the Five Rings by Mushashi.

Mythology, and books on religion, I've read a couple of them... so yeah, I won't list them either. Mostly European, and some Eastern.

The Outsiders is cool, by it never really changed mine.

To Kill A Mocking Bird is good since it gave me a good idea of the great depression, of Mice and Men helped with that too.

Oh yeah, shakespeare's works, most of all Romeo and Juliet an inspiration to my woo'ing soul.

Why A Caged Bird Sings is good too, another perspective of life through another persons eyes.

A Biography of Che Guevarra. I always wondered why he's an icon, and after reading it, I see he stood for good things, but he's not an all around good person.

Lovecraft's works, which is weird, but makes me want to write things like it.

Anne Rice's Servant of the Bones. Not her best work, but very good story.

Tale of the body theif, very yummy. : )

That's all I can remember right now... lol.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2003 11:32 AM
Aesma is currently offline Click here to Send Aesma a Private Message Find more posts by Aesma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

Well, definately lotr. It really did have an impact on my heart. It's so touching, I cried at some points while reading the book.

The other book that really comes to mind is a book that I read probably when I was in 4th grade. I was really into R. L. Stine books, and i read this book called The Ghost next Door. To me, it was so sad, and I cried, the ending was just so touching to me. Well, there you go, my two cents. wink

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Dec 27th, 2003 11:14 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

lotr did have an impact on me, helped me with describing things for my fanfiction.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2003 12:52 AM
RonyLeBeau
Next time it may be you!

No book has ever touched me like "Nowhere else on Earth."
I am a Lipan Apache and this book is told through native eyes during the civil war. A lot has been told/written of the civil war on behalf of the african americans, Confederates, and northern sides no expression but this book reflects on how natives of scuffletown (the town in the book) were treated and how they try to salvage their dignaty and family in this war torn time. sad

It is also a true story.

Do you hear the wind my brothers and sisters it is time to rise....-Kickapoo-Lipan Nations-

Old Post Dec 28th, 2003 11:10 PM
RonyLeBeau is currently offline Click here to Send RonyLeBeau a Private Message Find more posts by RonyLeBeau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mailedbypostman
I'm just a messenger.

Does it count if you read a book, don't get touched by it, then get touched by it later?

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 12:02 AM
mailedbypostman is currently offline Click here to Send mailedbypostman a Private Message Find more posts by mailedbypostman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mutation

anything by John Steinbeck, especially Of Mice and Men...

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 12:58 AM
mutation is currently offline Click here to Send mutation a Private Message Find more posts by mutation Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shanie623
forever young with you

Easy question.

Harry Potter books embarrasment

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 01:11 AM
shanie623 is currently offline Click here to Send shanie623 a Private Message Find more posts by shanie623 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dreamwriter

hmmm for me, they would have to be:
Song of the Lioness, Lirael, Tangerine, and The Outsiders

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 05:52 AM
dreamwriter is currently offline Click here to Send dreamwriter a Private Message Find more posts by dreamwriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

quote:
Originally posted by mailedbypostman
Does it count if you read a book, don't get touched by it, then get touched by it later?

of couse it counts! what are they? smile

quote:
shanie623: Easy question.

Harry Potter books embarrasment

how so? for me, those books help give me ideas and expand my mind on magical stuff.

quote:
dreamwriter: hmmm for me, they would have to be:
Song of the Lioness, Lirael, Tangerine, and The Outsiders

yeah! another outsiders fan besides me and kitty! what are those other books about? lireal sounds interesting.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 06:01 AM
shanie623
forever young with you

I don't really know... laughing Maybe because HP is like sooo related to everything? embarrasment Heehee...

Well the ones that really had a big impact on my life (literally speaking) was the Vampire Chronicles... Made me believe that I was going to be save from the evilness of the world. I was depressed for 2 years, and had to see a psychiatrist because I've attempted suicide like more than fifty times in different ways. When I started reading the Vampire Chronicles, I started believing that maybe a vampire will save me from all this. Maybe I'll turn immortal if I'll just be patient enough.

embarrasment

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 07:30 AM
shanie623 is currently offline Click here to Send shanie623 a Private Message Find more posts by shanie623 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

*hugs* sorry about that.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 07:32 AM
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Had the most impact eh?......

Well my mom once threw a hardback copy of a David Niven novel at me when I was naughty, that made quite an impact I can tell you. roll eyes (sarcastic)

But I don't believe you meant it like that, so I'll say the book that stayed in my thoughts longest after reading it was The Catcher in the Rye, I suppose. I saw a lot of my younger self in that character, I think most young lads would in fact.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 11:24 AM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gaca
KATIUSHA

Clockwork Orange. It scared me a lot. I felt so empty after reading this.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 12:50 PM
Gaca is currently offline Click here to Send Gaca a Private Message Find more posts by Gaca Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gaca
KATIUSHA

And E.A.Poe's short story: 'William Wilson' It was freaky but... you have to read it to understand

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 12:51 PM
Gaca is currently offline Click here to Send Gaca a Private Message Find more posts by Gaca Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laviera_j
Kadehadaire_Mage_:)

I have had several.

1.) Ash of Burgundy - it is this real account of Ash of Burgundy (like Joan of Arch) written in a narrative. It is brutal, real - there are some rather vivid sex scenes that were kinda shocking, but the rest was real and effervesanct.

2.) Spirit Fox - by Mickey Zucker Reichert and Jennifer Wingert. It is a book about a girl born to be Queen with an all-consuming sadness. She loves the horsemasters son, but when he finds her lying naked in the woods, he is accused of her rape. He runs away and joins these fierce warriors and mages. It is the story if him and the mages and soldiers, and the girl and her life. She is morphing into a fox, and it turns out that is why she was in the forest naked. It's very good. Anout 300 or so pages. Maybe more.

4.) Harry potter 3-5. Just Generally good books.

5.)Hiding from the light - about witchhunts and the ghosts of the past haunting the descendant of a witch who was excecuted.

There are more, but I bet you are getting bored now! LOL!

Work that magic!
Work that magic!

All at the KMC tig! BOPrecruit16,Raven Guardia, charmaine,Exa, Tela,Nabokonir, cheekymunkey,airangel,tassie,ADSkinner,airangel429
,Eez! Everybody!

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 01:10 PM
Laviera_j is currently offline Click here to Send Laviera_j a Private Message Find more posts by Laviera_j Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote