KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Dark Journey

Dark Journey
Started by: Julie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LanceWindu

Do you recognize her now?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2002 02:34 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Nope, but I do see what your saying about the resemblance.
I just hope the book itself is good. Have you read the exerpt in SW Gamer? I didn't really care too much for it, but I have high hopes for the rest of the story!!!!!

Old Post Jan 11th, 2002 10:27 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

No, I don't get the SW Gamer mags. The only time I read them is if I'm at the store and read them while my mom does her shopping.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2002 10:13 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

I'd suggest that you read the Rogue Apprentice exerpt but by that time the book'll probably be out smile .....SW Insider is a much better mag if you are going to buy one or the other get Insider!!!!

Old Post Jan 13th, 2002 01:11 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

I found this over at TF.N. It is someone's review of the Dark Journey paperback book.
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The young Jedi are seen right where they were when Star By Star left off. Vong priest, and Kahlee Lah, Tsavong Lah's son, are pursuing them. The Jedi make a hyperspace jump to Coruscant where they run into the fight between the Republic and the Yuuzhan Vong. Leia senses Jaina's presence, but also senses that she's gone over to the dark side. Kyp Durron gets his entire squadron killed and joins the Falcon when they make the hyperspace jump to Hapes.

The Jedi also make the jump to Hapes and when they get there, they deliver Anakin's body to Leia. Leia and the young Jedi all sense Jacen's death through the Force, but Leia refuses to believe that he's actually dead. Ta'a Chume decides that her son Isolder needs a new wife and that it should be Jaina. Jagged Fel of the Chiss comes to Hapes as well with his squadron to help the Republic fight the Vong. He flirts with Jaina at a state dinner at the Hapan palace. Jaina tries to avoid Anakin's funeral, but Kyp forces her to attend. The funeral is morbid, but they burn Anakin with dignity and then Jaina announces that she will now be Kyp's apprentice. Her family disapproves, but they can't stop her.

Jaina and Lowbacca figure out how to send the Vong misinformation using their stolen Vong ship - they realize that the yammosks trace the Vong ships through their gravity signatures and change the gravity signatures of several ships to make the Vong think they are somewhere else. Jaina finds herself constantly fighting with Jag and finally figures out that she's in love with him, but is afraid that he doesn't feel the same way.

Ta'a Chume assassinate's Tenenial Djo (Tenel Ka's mother) and confronts Jaina about her plans to make her the new queen. Jaina refuses and Tenel Ka finally decides to do her duty and become the new queen of Hapes. With the help of Kyp, Jaina finally realizes that she must turn away from the dark side and begins her journey back to the light. Kahlee Lah kills himself for his failure to capture Jaina.

The book was annoyingly mushy at some points and it focused almost entirely on Jaina - Jacen is not even in it. Obviously, Jacen is not really dead and he and Jaina will have some cataclysmic battle in the next book. Luke and Mara have about 3 lines each and Han and Leia have about 10 pages worth of dialogue. The book really focuses on Jaina, Kyp, and Jag.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 04:07 AM
Julie
The Student

Hmmm. Most of that sounds accurate, but I'm not sure. Some of the points don't line up with the excerpts I've read. If that's the way it goes ok, but I don't understand the whole feeling Jacen's death thing and the Vong obsession with sacrificing the twins together thing.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 11:41 PM
LanceWindu

Yeah, that is true.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 12:12 AM
Julie
The Student

The excerpts are dark, but not quite that dark!!! wink

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 12:15 AM
LanceWindu

Well I don't need excerpts now, I just bought it. Plus 3 other NJO books that I haven't had a chance to read yet.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2002 05:05 AM
Julie
The Student

How did you buy it already?????

I thought it didn't come out until Feb 1st or Jan 30?

I can't wait....ahhhhh.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2002 11:58 PM
LanceWindu

I thought it came out later too. But I was walking through Walden Books and BAMM! There it was. So I was like "what they hey." So I shelled out the $6.99 to buy it.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2002 02:07 AM
Julie
The Student

Cool cool

I bought mine yesterday. I'll write a review as soon as I get a chance to read it. I can't wait to here what others have to say about it. The cover is kinda girlie...but that's ok Elaine Cunningham promised that we won't get a romance novel.

NJO goes on......

Old Post Jan 31st, 2002 02:47 AM
LanceWindu

Alright, I finished my copy yesterday. I thought that it was a great book, but I don't like how we didn't get to see anything about Jacen though.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2002 08:24 AM
Julie
The Student

I agree. Here is my promised personal review...[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Dark Journey was quite dark, but it contained many small spots of humor. The advancement of the New Republic's technology was intriguing. I liked the book, but being the dutiful serial book it was, DJ left me hanging.
I intensely dislike Kyp Durron. There was too much of him in this book. I dislike the fact that at the end, Jaina is still his apprentice. I have high hopes that it won't last long in Rebel Dream, but it irks me all the same.
Jag Fel is an interesting character. He will most likely be in following NJO books.
The murder of Tenel Ka's mother was sad. I was glad to see that she was able to pick up her mother's crown. I'm also glad that Price Isholder didn't hesitate to give the crown to his daughter. Though a reluctant queen, she knows her duty..... Hapes will go on strong. I doubt Tenel Ka will remain the queen of Hapes; she is a jedi and they are too valuable. At least, Hapes was saved temporarily and the Yuuzhan Vong were in a rare retreat.
The lack of Jacen Solo in this book was disconcerting. I wish we could have seen something of him. Despite the last sentence of Dark Journey, I trust Leia's judgment as to Jacen's fate. Besides, I believe that, even in her chaotic state of mind, Jaina would feel her brother's death. The intense pain she feels is channeled through the other young jedi....not her own feeling. I believe we'll see more of the philosophical young jedi in the future. The deliberate exclusion of him from Dark Journey must mean something....
Anakin Solo is dead. That much is fairly certain now that they had a funeral, but we'll see more of his young love, Tahiri. I wonder about this plot twist in the series....Anakin is an unusual choice for the authors to pick....or he's the most logical.
Jaina's walk on the dark side was interesting. I think Kyp's a bad influence on her. I firmly believe she'll find "her way home" and emerge as a better leader in the future.
The lack of a time lapse was an interesting change....I don't care one way or the other what future books do, but I think Rebel Dream will have a time gap.
It was intriguing that some of the Yuuzhan Vong were thinking blasphemous thoughts. Harrar began to equate Jaina with the godess Yun-Harla, which is heresy.

We can only wait until Rebel dream comes out......... wink

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2002 10:50 PM
LanceWindu

I can't wait either.

What you said about Kyp being in this book too much, I liked the fact that we got to see more of him. Did you also notice that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: he was trying to talk Jaina out of things. It shows that he isn't much of a bad guy but more like a misunderstood kinda guy.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2002 01:17 AM
Julie
The Student

Personally I felt like [SPOILER - highlight to read]: it was like Jaina was giving Kyp a taste of his own medicine and he didn't like it smile That part I did like evil face

And now the countdown til the next book begins.........
*sigh*
I am forever waiting on something...

Old Post Feb 7th, 2002 03:14 AM
Volundro Ramm
You can't afford it......

I heard that the contenuaty in DJ wasn't up to scratch. Personally i like Kyp and am glad to here he's more involved in DJ. Still i'm disapointed to hear its still all about the Jedi. I' getting bored of them, especially in star by star. Bring on the bounty hunters, bring back Fett, Bring back Kenix Kil!!!!

Old Post Feb 9th, 2002 07:55 PM
Click here to Send Volundro Ramm a Private Message Find more posts by Volundro Ramm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

The Bounty Hunters would add more to the story, but who wold they fight for? The Yuuzahn Vong or the New Republic?

Old Post Feb 9th, 2002 07:57 PM
Volundro Ramm
You can't afford it......

EASY..... THE NEW REPUBLIC. REASON: THE VONG AIN'T GOT NO MONEY!

Old Post Feb 9th, 2002 08:24 PM
Click here to Send Volundro Ramm a Private Message Find more posts by Volundro Ramm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

True, but then the Vong could offer to give them any money that they find after they completely wipe out the universe.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2002 08:25 PM