KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Ancient Eqypt

Ancient Eqypt
Started by: Lara

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yerssot

hey, you have seen that episode...

ok, how comes that only ONE room has hierogliefs?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:07 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

queeq:
that's true, they've found out that it's most likely workers who have built it, also indicated by graves of the ones who built the pyramid; the graves were built better than they would've been built for slaves.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:10 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Slavery was never very common in Egypt in the first place. It seems peoples from the different regions took turns in a term of full time service to Pharaoh. I doubt they ever found real slave quarters or tombs in the ancient days of Egypt. Only later perhaps, during classical times. And the occasional prisoners from foreign campaigns.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:12 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

and farmers helped them out when the Nile got flooded
(and they got payed and got beer! eek! )

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:15 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

queeq:
which makes a lot of the stories in the christian religion impossible to have happened.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:16 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

there are a lot of things that didn't happend but it's about the SYMBOLIC!

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:20 PM
queeq
Chaos

You're both wrong actually. There is quite good evidence that the ISraelites sojourned in Egypt. And even though this kind of work labour was normal to Egyptians, it's quite likely that it appeared as slavery to foreigners. And the Israelites were foreigners in Egypt, remember.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:30 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

doesn't matter what it seemed like to anyone, the bible says that moses released a big bunch of slaves, which is BS.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:38 PM
queeq
Chaos

Not necessarily. I'm, pretty sure the Israelites felt they were enslaved, forced to built cities for Pharaoh while they were once invited by the viceroy to stay there. You would feel the same.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:47 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

I don't know, I've never been in ancient egypt.
I think the moses-story is made up, anyways.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:52 PM
queeq
Chaos

Sorry to say, but there's good evidence that there is historical truth to it. I mean, what do you base your assumption on?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:53 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

I can't find any evidence that any of the workers were slaves, only the opposite.
and, I sure as hell can't find any evidence that moses had a stick that turned into a snake, which is another part of the story.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:56 PM
queeq
Chaos

THere is evidence of Israelites in Egypt. And there is evidence they left in a hurry. There is evidence of a famine around the time the Bible says the Israelites came to Egypt because of a famine. There is evidence preparations for a famine were taken by the Egyptians (as was told in the Joseph story). There is evidence that the stepfather that Artepanes mentions for Moses was a genuine pharaoh.
So as a historical frame work, there is room for a story like that of the Exodus.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 09:59 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

the stories in the bible are based on happenings, but there is so many fishy things told in it, that you can't trust any of it.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 10:04 PM
queeq
Chaos

But also you can't just toss it aside as nonsense. It's still a document that contains historical information. And if these stories are an account of what happened or based on certain happenings is not so easily or clearly distinguishable.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 10:11 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

true, but when they start to mix 'magic' into the stories, I'd rather leave them alone.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 10:15 PM
yerssot

hey, if you check the river he walks through, you will see that when it's "eb" (help me with this word queeq!) you can walk through a big part of it and when it's flood you can't...

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 10:22 PM
queeq
Chaos

He means low tide. And it wasn not a river he walked through. It was a "sea". People think it's the Red Sea, but that's a mistranslation. The original text reads "Reed Sea", a marshy area to the north of the Red Sea.

And many ancient texts include magic, still a lot of them are used for historical research. Wonders can never be proven, but also not disproven. THey just don't make stuff for historical research.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 10:28 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Still no offers on the lettuce, I note... I guess Lara was more into actual history than the stories of the Gods.

And I am sorry, queeq, but serious scientific debate about the dating of the Pyramids is still in progress, and I am about as ready to believe a firm date as I am ready to believe the latest time travel theory (to which my response is always 'interesting, but I bet the next one will be interesting as well')

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 18th, 2001 at 11:17 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 11:15 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

There are no Egyptian written history of hebrews in Egypt, and that they left in a hurry. And the Egyptians wrote every event down, no way they would have left out a storie like that.
Of course there might have been a bunch of hebrews living in Egypt that decided to go to the promise land. As a amtter of fact most of the hebrews were nomadic people so it would be in their nature to move around a bit.
If you choose to take the biblical version of it go a head, me I stopped beliving in fairy tales at a very young age.

And yes it must have been fantastic to see the pyramides all white.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 07:46 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote