KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » DVD or not DVD

DVD or not DVD
Started by: mechmoggy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

DVD or not DVD

Aaaah, I've been thinking of purrr-chasing one these for a while but my biggest fear is being Mr.Betamax man. I think the format has a good foot-hold now but I have heard something about another "better" format coming out next year.

You lot across "the pond" will probably know more so spill the beans.... big grin

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 01:41 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

beans? I have a lollipop!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 01:58 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

To many DVD`s already sold with this format, the consumers will never accept yet another format for at least 15-20 years. Remeber dvd also fit PC`s

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 03:23 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

make it 10 years...

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 03:27 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

I am shocked, appalled and dismayed that you have held off your DVD purchase for this long!*shakes finger* You dont know what your missin! It's amazing!!! I doubt that DVD will be the hot shit for 15-20 years, maybe 10 at the most. Those Japannessee people are just too smart!! cool

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 03:41 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

I've just gotten a DVD-player, and I must say, it's worth it. the picture quality is far better, it's good to be able to jump to whatever chapters, if there's a movie you like it's very nice to see behinf the scenes, interviews etc. now, the price on DVD's are sinking so go out and buy it!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 03:48 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

think this way (like mah said)
you don't like the podrace? SKIP IT smile

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 03:57 PM
KJ
Sausages

The new format in really just a new type of machine. The new DVD will be able to record and they'll eventually replace video recorders. I saw one the a few weeks ago but they shouldn't be widley available for about 4 years.

You'll still be able to play your DVD movies on them.
I'd definatley by a DVD player if I was you.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 04:36 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yup, DVD gets a 'yay' from me

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 06:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Yeah but it's really expensive. DVD's are $18-30 each. And to rent they cost $5.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 07:01 PM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

they really doesn't cost any more than videos, 20 $, 14£. 8 in norway)

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 07:45 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

I've also noticed that the different movie studios each have their own quality of DVD. (Special features, interactive menus, etc) WB usually makes the best, Paramount the worst.

My dad bought a new TV for the Living room, and he wants to get a new DVD player that is component video compatable (It's better than S-Video). So I'll be looking for good deals after Christmas cool

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 08:19 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

The newer DVD's will also be able to play the new Enhanced CD format with 5.1 DTS which won't play on a regular DVD or CD player.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 09:05 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I havn't read my DVD instruction manuel, so maybe it's in there, but I have this problem.

When I choose the widescreen option, the black bars don't appear at the top. The screen gets thinner, you know? I think widescreen is only formatted for widescreen TVs. Does anyone know how I can get around this madness? It makes me angry, dammit! mad

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 19th, 2001 10:29 PM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

widescreen is only formated for widescreen TV`s and you canot get around that problem To

Old Post Dec 20th, 2001 07:45 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Huh?????

I watch WS on my standard TV with black bars top and bottom with no problems.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2001 09:03 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

yeah you might get it to look like widescreen, but it is still not the perfect formate for it. The picture on a widescreen tv is so much better than of an ordinary tv. The perfect picture for widescreen on a dvd needs a widescreen tv.
I can also watch widescreen on my tv, with black bars on top and bottom, but compare with my friends WS tv . It is like day and night.
What I meant was there is no way you can make your DVD get as good WS picture on an ordinary tv as it would be on a WS tv.

Just bought a new tv and the salesman really wanted me to buy a WS tv which I wouldnt have. He used some of the arguments I have above, and I have experiensed his point. I wanted a 100hz tv because of the upencomming digitalisation of my cable operator
so I didnt chose a WS tv.
If you only looking for the black bars To, read the manual, but it cant compare with what you get on a WS tv.

To put it simple on an ordinary tv you get the black bars which means the picture will not fill out the entire screen.
A ws tv looses the black bars

Last edited by finti on Dec 20th, 2001 at 09:17 AM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2001 09:14 AM
Ratcat

Oh, got ya, I see what you mean. Yes, the picture on a proper WS is much better I agree.

To, as a hint, you might also need to enable 'Letterbox Mod' or 'WS Mode' on your TV.

I had this problem with a couple of full WS DVD's. notable the Mummy and Mummy Returns where I had to set WS on both the TV and DVD because it was in 2.35:1 format (or somthing like that)

Old Post Dec 20th, 2001 10:00 AM
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

I think the biggest reason I have held out on buying a DVD is that I want a PS2 so that I get the best of both worlds. I was gonna have a PS2 for Xmas from Mrs.MM but I'm gonna wait until the X-box comes out to see the effect on price.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2001 10:17 AM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Yeah I want a PS2 as well, Monika just asks how old I am, 13 or 33 big grin

Old Post Dec 20th, 2001 10:57 AM