KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Languages

Languages
Started by: mah

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

Languages

ONe pretty cool thing about tolkiens universe are all the languages that's invented.

anyone who knows what this means?:

the language Adūnaic: ''Agannālō burōda nźnud..."

the language Quenya: ''alassėa''

an easy one (for some):the dark language: ''nazg''

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2001 08:41 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brith

Alassėa is Quenya for Happy

Nazg is easy - it is Black Speech for Ring. Gūl means spirit or wraith hence Nazgūl meaning Ringwraith.

The Adūnaic is tricky... I think it means "Death's shadow weighs heavy on us" or words to that effect. Its about the mortality of man anyway.

How about a question in Sindarin?

Do you know (or can you guess) what "Ash nazg durbatulūk" means?

Brith thinks again....

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2001 12:37 PM
Brith is currently offline Click here to Send Brith a Private Message Find more posts by Brith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, you think you are SO clever... how about some Rohirric? Preferably something that does not translate to 'See orc, go ride, kill orc'

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2001 12:41 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brith

Errr... kūd-dūkan?

Rohirric is very poorly represented. Most names and places in Rohan are called by the names in other languages in LotR. For example, Rohan is a Sindarin word.

Go on, someone do a Sindarin question.

Brith thinks again....

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2001 01:00 PM
Brith is currently offline Click here to Send Brith a Private Message Find more posts by Brith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

brith:
'ash nazg durbatulūk' means 'one ring to rule them all

Sindarin:
what does this mean:

said by gandalf in front of the Moria Gate: ''Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen! Fennas nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!"

''daen''

easy: ''Golovir''

Old Post Dec 26th, 2001 01:45 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CowgirlSmiles

I never knew what any of the languages meant... It was gibberish to me.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2001 12:11 AM
CowgirlSmiles is currently offline Click here to Send CowgirlSmiles a Private Message Find more posts by CowgirlSmiles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You have to be VERY much into it...

Brith is unwell. I am sure he will answer ASAP.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 29th, 2001 12:29 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleanor

i've always wanted to learn the languages! i've tried and tried but either i'm really slow and haven't put enough time into it or i need help. i'd really like some help! if anyone has devised a moderately simple gramatical structure for any one or two of the middle earth languages i'd be more than happy to hear from you.
wink

Old Post Dec 29th, 2001 08:36 AM
eleanor is currently offline Click here to Send eleanor a Private Message Find more posts by eleanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

Old Post Dec 29th, 2001 10:55 AM
yerssot

I hope B will be well soon.

I thought that the pronounciation was very strange

Old Post Dec 29th, 2001 12:10 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FireMaster
Yuppon Gatana ******

hehe
well nice going on the languages
if some of u find some good sites about elves let me know will ya
also about elvish

The Yuppon Gatana

Old Post Jan 8th, 2002 09:29 PM
FireMaster is currently offline Click here to Send FireMaster a Private Message Find more posts by FireMaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

"Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mźnu! "
"Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!"
rolling on floor laughing

"Get on the bus with Leary and Scorcese, you're goin' right to ****in' hell!" Chikushoo

Old Post Jan 10th, 2002 05:51 PM
Mujaffa is currently offline Click here to Send Mujaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Mujaffa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

Ai! lauriė lantar lassi sśrinen

What does this mean?????

"Get on the bus with Leary and Scorcese, you're goin' right to ****in' hell!" Chikushoo

Old Post Jan 10th, 2002 06:28 PM
Mujaffa is currently offline Click here to Send Mujaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Mujaffa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Billy The Kid
Wanted dead or alive

Look`s like a mix of Finish and Hungarian to me!

Old Post Jan 10th, 2002 06:32 PM
Billy The Kid is currently offline Click here to Send Billy The Kid a Private Message Find more posts by Billy The Kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CowgirlSmiles

Does anyone know what the ruins on the cover of (i think it's like an anniversary edition) the LOTR/Hobbit series mean??? It has like a white cover with painted scenes and around the edge are a bunch of ruins but i dont know what they mean

Old Post Jan 11th, 2002 02:20 AM
CowgirlSmiles is currently offline Click here to Send CowgirlSmiles a Private Message Find more posts by CowgirlSmiles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

There were never any hobbitts called Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry, their real names were Maura, Ban, Razar and Kali eek!

Old Post Jan 11th, 2002 12:35 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Come to that, they don't call themselves Hobbits, either.

BtVS

Old Post Jan 11th, 2002 06:06 PM
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

"Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Means : "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them."

Old Post Jan 14th, 2002 03:01 PM
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

yes they called themselves hobbits, but the humans called them something else

Old Post Jan 14th, 2002 03:02 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

not true. the hobbits knew nothing of the word 'hobbit'. they called themselves 'kuduk'.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2002 04:42 PM