KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » What Kind of Computer do you have?

What Kind of Computer do you have?
Started by: Fire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz

GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256

1024 RD ram pc 1066, and they are 2½ faster then BF's rams the pc3200 big grin anyway

but I only got 80Gb sad

SB Audigy

pretty good huh? big grin

Old Post Jan 16th, 2004 07:58 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

You don't need 3000 dollars for a new pc, unless you want to waste your money on unnecessary "uber" parts, like the new ATI Radeon 9800XT, which costs 200+ dollars more then an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and is only about 5-10% faster then the Pro. If you play you're cards with some smarts, you can get a machine that will last you for the new 2 years for less then 1000 dollars...or if you want a monitor, a little over 1000 dollars. Or if you're spending 3000 dollars, you're going to a place like Falcon NW or Alienware, and spending that extra 1500 dollars or so on a fancy case and a name.

Basically, be smart, shop around, a good computer doesn't need to cost you 3000 dollars. I got my new one for 1100, specs below...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

1024 DDR 400 Ram

120G HD

ATI Radeon 9800 Non Pro

SB Audigy ZS

Yes, I know PC 1066 ram is better tehn DDR 400, but chances are you paid about double for that ram, when the performance increase is not that much higher.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2004 08:54 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

i wouldn't buy a complete pc...i'd build it. and i don't want "a" monitor...i want "the monitor" 20" LCD baby!

Old Post Jan 16th, 2004 09:50 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Can't remember the when I built the PC, but I think it's been about 2 years now.

Anyway specs:

P4 1.7Ghz
768Mb RAMBUS RAM (Stupid I know)
3HDDs - total around 240Gb
Pioneer DVD writer
ATI Radeon
Soundblaster Live
21" HP monitor

Pretty happy with it. Can't really see myself upgrading for quite a while yet.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2004 12:56 AM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I have an ol' Mac and I'm currently planing to trash it for good. I'm planning to get me a iBook G4. 1GHz PowerPC G4. With all these specs:

256K L2 cache @ 1GHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory

I'm saving for it so that I can make a good deposit and pay it off in 14 months, so I'm almost there with the money.
big grin

Old Post Jan 17th, 2004 01:05 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

My bro has that iBook G4 it's a piece of crap, atleast for the price he paid for it

than again a laptop

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jan 18th, 2004 01:41 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

never saw the point for a 20" LCD (and ofc everyone builds their comp)

Old Post Jan 18th, 2004 05:25 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
De UnKnOwN 1

igot a...

Pentium 3, 1 Ghz
256 RAM
40 HDD
SoundBlaster LIVE! 5.1
128 MB Radeon 9600 PRO
17 in monitor
10/100 Network
Cable Connection

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 01:08 AM
De UnKnOwN 1 is currently offline Click here to Send De UnKnOwN 1 a Private Message Find more posts by De UnKnOwN 1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by Fire
My bro has that iBook G4 it's a piece of crap, atleast for the price he paid for it

than again a laptop

How much did he pay for it Fire? I'll probably be paying an estimate of $1099 for my. Did your brother overpaid for his or is iBook really a horrible notebook?

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 04:57 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

about that price, but if I get that money to buy a normal comp it owns that laptop 10 times, problem is with laptops (atleast as far as my knowledge goes) you can't build em yourself, where as with a PC you buy parts and do all the work yourself that makes your price a lot lower

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 06:46 PM
Linkalicious

quote:
Originally posted by Fire
never saw the point for a 20" LCD (and ofc everyone builds their comp)

yeah i never saw the point of "The Sims" but that didn't stop people from buying it

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 07:05 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

The thing with labtops is that no one wants to tamper them by upgrading them. I personally (if I had one) would much rather take it somewhere else and get it done. PC parts you can do it yourself and occasionally parts are cheaper. So is worth the risk to tamper with them. I may have to read more about iBooks on cosumerreports.org to see if it is worth expending my money with that labtop.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 07:13 PM
Fire

ofc not link, but what I ment is the image quality from a 20' LCD and a normal 20' monitor isn't that big.

probably true silver, but to make it easy, PC parts are always cheaper

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 07:44 PM
Linkalicious

oh i totally agree with you there Fire. But it's like owning a porsche 911 and a ferrari modena. Sure they may have similar acceleration and top speeds....but what would most people rather have? (i'm assuming the ferrari)

and i dunno if my comp desk has room for a normal 20 inch monitor.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 08:09 PM
BackFire

The flat screen monitor's visual quality is usually not nearly as impressive as a bulky flat panel monitor.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 08:57 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

I found the LCD screen my friend has is noticably better than my other friends new bulky monitor...but the price for the LCD screen wasn't justified by the picture clarity.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 09:42 PM
BackFire

For gaming a regular monitor is usually better. There is often tearing on a LCD screen.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 07:13 AM
Fire

LCD needs a few more years to develop I think

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 10:59 AM
edwinian
Heavy Metal

I have 2!! Countem 2!!

A Dell Desktop

and a nice little Mac IBook completely compatible with the sick IPOD I MUST have

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 05:39 PM
edwinian is currently offline Click here to Send edwinian a Private Message Find more posts by edwinian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

yeah i was watchin a vid clip on the LCD so i guess i really haven't given it a full evaluation for gaming...but i just want it to have it. I went out and bought a 50" plasma television for my parents (because i still live with them) and i like the picture more than the other HDTV i have at my house

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 07:27 PM