KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Other countries' laws

Other countries' laws
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Omega
Z10N0101

The old “When in Rome…” does sound like a plan. IF I’m to visit a country, I have to adhere to the laws of said country – if I think I can’t, well, then I better stay out.
Of course one can ask: But what about countries who violate human rights?

The thing is: There is no International Law as such. No law that holds for every country in the world. Every country is a sovereign nation. And there is no army or court to make sure International Law is followed.
Don’t get me wrong. There is such a thing as “Crime against Humanity” and the International Court in Haag (someone correct me – did Bush say he doesn’t recognise it anymore, or what was that???). But the International Community doesn’t really have any final means of enforcing, say, human rights. It can boycott a country that violates human rights – but boycotting can also be abused by members of, say, the Security Council of the UN.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jan 18th, 2004 05:18 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

to be a real nitpicker, TO, it's Den Haag wink

and no, the USA do not recognise the Tribunal, though don't think that Bush was the one who started it.
It's for a simple reason: if they did, the US Army and the president would be sued every day, so they simply don't recognise it so they don't have to stop their killing and such to get to a tribunal.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2004 05:24 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

Bush knows that if he recognise the international court he would be there all of the time. That's simple.

BTW usa soldiers would be on trial like any other nation soldiers and We all know that there is someone who thinks to be the owner of all reason and the guardian of the rights, while, by the international Non Governmental Ogranisations of Human Rights reports, is the Government that more violates Human Rights and supports other National Governments to do it, for political, economic and geographical reason of his interest.

As the International Court is waiting the USA ratifications, Kioto environmental theat is waiting USA ratification too. But No one believes taht the country wich products more tha 60% of atmosphere pollution will ratificate it.

Nobody reads the newspapers? Are you living in a censoured world?..Or nobody cares at all?

huh

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 12:54 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

or given up on reason

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 03:09 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

quote:
Originally posted by Corlindel
Bush knows that if he recognise the international court he would be there all of the time. That's simple.

BTW usa soldiers would be on trial like any other nation soldiers and We all know that there is someone who thinks to be the owner of all reason and the guardian of the rights, while, by the international Non Governmental Ogranisations of Human Rights reports, is the Government that more violates Human Rights and supports other National Governments to do it, for political, economic and geographical reason of his interest.

As the International Court is waiting the USA ratifications, Kioto environmental theat is waiting USA ratification too. But No one believes taht the country wich products more tha 60% of atmosphere pollution will ratificate it.

Nobody reads the newspapers? Are you living in a censoured world?..Or nobody cares at all?

huh

big grin

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 08:33 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote