KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » UK Tuition Fees!

UK Tuition Fees!
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Trickster
True KMC Jester

I wanna go to uni, but in 4 years(wen i get the chance) whats the bets that fees will put me in debt of £50k ?

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 05:40 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by Corran
When I was younger and studying we had to take 'loans' out to pay for stuff, I have friends who still owe upto £7K 5 or 6 years after finishing, it's always been the case that studying cost so much.

I have taken loans, thats why im in so much debt! blink

And another thing is, i wouldnt mind being in debt of even £10, 000...certanly is way less than £29, 000!

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 05:45 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

Does your gov't give out pell grants? (don't shoot me...i am not used to other countries laws...i know they are different from the states........)

Currently Writing: An Adventure Bookl!!!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 05:49 PM
~Air Angel~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Air Angel~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Air Angel~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cermiestar
kitten

to some...

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 06:24 PM
cermiestar is currently offline Click here to Send cermiestar a Private Message Find more posts by cermiestar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

That sounds like a lot money for school in the UK. Here in the States the cheapest education you can get are Community Colleges (which I go to) and then transfer to a 4 year University. I dont have the costs correct so I wont post them but I can tell you is not cheap. Even if you have a bank loan is still not enough.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 07:30 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

I'm hoping to go to St. mary's cerm, to study english and creative writing, then do a teacher training year ((which I should get a grant for!))

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 09:05 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abbita

Good luck Phoenix!
I had my heart and soul on going to birmingham university in 3 years but tricksters right, by time i get there the fees could leave me in debt by upto maybe £40,000. There really is no point in putting these fees so high. I wouldn't mind if it was something like £2000 for 1 entire course even though i would probably have problems in paying that, but at least the loan would be muvh easier to pay off.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 09:11 PM
Abbita is currently offline Click here to Send Abbita a Private Message Find more posts by Abbita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

B'ham uni is a really good one, apparently. I couldn't go there cus they don't run part-time courses there for undergrads.

I've done all my studying the long-winded hard way, night school and now day release Uni, whilst working full time. I did 2 years for an ONC, 2 years for a HNC, 1 year for a HND and now I'm in the final year of a 2 year accelerated BEng (Hons) degree. Its been hard work, but my company has paid for it all the way.

Working for a company with a good training scheme is an option if you don't fancy large debts. Its harder work, but you do get paid too. yes

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 10:10 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zombieman
The Undead

Tutition fees are indeed scandelous. Not only are they too high but the loans we get to help us pay them off are not interest free, though i was told mine was. Bring back grants i say!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 10:12 PM
zombieman is currently offline Click here to Send zombieman a Private Message Find more posts by zombieman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

thumb up Wow Mech thats awsome!!
Do you have an obligation to work for them for a certain period of time after you finish BEng (Hons) ?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 10:13 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Not really, I'm a director of the company! big grin

I left school with piss-poor GCSE's and a bad attitude, but after working on a factory floor for 3 years I realised that nothing was ever gonna just land in my lap, there were dudes there pushing retirement age and doing jobs similar to me! Scared the bejesus outta me. eek!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 10:20 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

OMG OMG OMG!! You are the director of a company!!!! eek!

David has made it in the world!! There is still hope for the rest of us mortals!! big grin

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 10:46 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I am in favour of tuition fees. The money has to come from somewhere and the way student loans work they are not any great financial burden when it is looked at in the context of a lifetime. The average degree more than pays for itself.

University education cannot be practically financed out of general taxation. One way or another, the students HAVE to pay.

I agree with Corran all the way.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 15th, 2004 02:46 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

College fee's in California are rising as well, thanks to governor dipshit...I mean swartzinidiot

Old Post Jan 15th, 2004 02:47 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I am in favour of tuition fees. The money has to come from somewhere and the way student loans work they are not any great financial burden when it is looked at in the context of a lifetime. The average degree more than pays for itself.

University education cannot be practically financed out of general taxation. One way or another, the students HAVE to pay.

I agree with Corran all the way.

Students HAVE been paying...for a long time now.
Rising fees would not allow students from lower classes to access higher education.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2004 02:51 AM
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
College fee's in California are rising as well, thanks to governor dipshit...I mean swartzinidiot

I should read up on him, i was under impression he was doing an ok job!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2004 02:51 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Students HAVE been paying...for a long time now.
Rising fees would not allow students from lower classes to access higher education.

Nonsense. Rising fees have not deterred people from poorer backgrounds, statistically speaking, and such people will receive funding anyway under the proposed system.

Frankly, the system now, and that existed before, encouraged only one thing- the middle class.

There was never any golden age of lower-class students going to University- it is a myth.

University education is expensive and the populace does not owe you a degree- if you want one, be prepared to pay for it in your life.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 15th, 2004 02:58 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

I never said there was a golden age of lower class students going to university. But i believe that from existing 9% that are lower class in higher education, will fall below that.

Yes, they will get funding, but not great deal more.

Higher fees WILL put off peole from going to universities...especially people from lower class They cant live off loan only.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2004 03:12 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes they can, that is the point.

And if you admit that there was never such a golden age, you therefore admit that the fact that not many lower class students go, or ever went, cannot have been much to do with fees.

Fifty years down the line this will be the accepted way of things, and people will wonder what the fuss was about.

BtVS

Old Post Jan 15th, 2004 03:15 AM
lil bitchiness
-

Uuum...what i said whas that there never was a golden age wof lower class, but that rise in loans will not make it any better than it was.

Besides, paying from £1,225 then jumping to £3,000 is a big differance.

Being in debt of £30, 000 is not a small amount of money...students will have to be giving that money back forever! And what about when someone 3 years down the line decides to take mortage for a house...thats a lot of money to be stuck with!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2004 03:31 AM