KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » LOTR-most cringeworthy moment

LOTR-most cringeworthy moment
Started by: shadowy_blue

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
shadowy_blue

Warning LOTR-most cringeworthy moment

Ok guys...I think we had enough of "Best moments" or "favorite moments" in LOTR. Now this is the thread where you could post what you think are the scenes in the LOTR movies that made you cringe. No offense to anyone. wink

I'll start off.

1.My biggest LOTR peeve has got to be Legolas' talent for stating the bloody obvious. "A diversion." Well, dduuuuhhh!??!? When I saw the movie for the first time, the people around me were either saying duh! or laughing their ass off in that remark. And "The horses are restless, and the men are quiet." "Neeeeiiiiiigh!" and "The red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night." Eehh.. who are you talking to? Just run, dammit.

I mean, no offense, I like Legolas and I know that he should be one of the deep characters who always utter words of wisdom but can't they give him a line that is less cheesy and not stating the absolutely blatantly in-your-face obvious?

2. The search light Eye of Sauron. I mean, go figure.

3. The fish-eating. It made me cringe because I was caught off-guard. I mean, he caught a fish, and then a quarter second later, Gollum's very ugly and drooling mouth has been shot up-close. sick

4. When Frodo sees Gandalf at the end and uttering a very long and slow mo "Gaannddaaaallff??!"and both start a weird sort of slow-mo laughing. The subsequent scenes made up for those though. But whenever I watch the movie again, I always want to cover my ears in that scene that I've stated.

What are yours?

Last edited by shadowy_blue on Jan 25th, 2004 at 03:08 AM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 03:06 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

I would have to agree with the 'A diversion' line but the other lines of Legolas' I thought they were cool. "The horses are restless, the men are quiet." He's more or less acknowledging this for himself really.
"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night." I think this was probably my favorite line of Legolas' because well he's an elf, he's extremely wise and he just has to suddenly noticed these things, and prepare what could've happened.

laughing The search light for Sauron, that was hilarious....

Okie, I didn't think that the shot where Gollum's biting into the fish was necessary because...argh, ok we know he caught the fish and he's obviously gonna eat it, and we DON'T know how he eats it now....

The very slow Gandalf...I think that was perfect because it shows that Frodo just now realizes that Gandalf's alive, he's okie, and throughout the 2 movies, Frodo and Sam kept thinking that Gandalf's gone, and it just showed this great grief of that rise off Frodo's shoulders.

And also it shows that the Fellowship has come together, and they all accomplished their quest one way or another and it's just beautiful how PJ did this. *sighs* The only issue I had was the Gollum biting fish scene.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 04:17 AM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

I think the army of the dead was a bit to much, crawling op that olipfant like that, and crawling op the walls in minas tirith, I tought that was a bit stubit

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 05:02 AM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurora
Princess

Okay I do have a few probs with the movies:

I don't agree with the Leggy point u have made. I mean in the books nearly all of those lines when they are running are spoken. Yes they are put into more of a conversation, but they are in the books. If i am not mistaken tho Leggy does take some of Aragorns lines from the book. I do wish they had added more dialoge tho in the EE.....

Okay for my probs:
sauron's search light eye:What? I have gotten use to it tho.

nasty fish eating scene: could have been cut!

Denethor flying over the edge of Minas Tirith: I dn't know why but it just seems over dramatic to me.

I thought i had more but it is late, and i am brain dead right now!

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 06:32 AM
Aurora is currently offline Click here to Send Aurora a Private Message Find more posts by Aurora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Okay I do have a few probs with the movies:

I don't agree with the Leggy point u have made. I mean in the books nearly all of those lines when they are running are spoken. Yes they are put into more of a conversation, but they are in the books. If i am not mistaken tho Leggy does take some of Aragorns lines from the book. I do wish they had added more dialoge tho in the EE.....

yeah...I agree that they were in the book. As you'll notice I didn't include the scene where Legolas said "They run as if the very whips of their masters are behind them", I didn't really include it because I wasn't really bothered by it and I know that that particular line was in the book and Orlando's delivery of that line was alright. What really got to me was what I've said about the red sun rises. I don't know if it was because of Orlando's delivery, or the pan of the camera, or because of the sudden change of scene from Pippin being almost crushed by a horse to Legolas suddenly stopping from his tracks, or maybe because of the line itself, or maybe it's just really me. But whatever it is, I didn't really like that scene. smile

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 06:43 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

quote:
4. When Frodo sees Gandalf at the end and uttering a very long and slow mo "Gaannddaaaallff??!"and both start a weird sort of slow-mo laughing. The subsequent scenes made up for those though. But whenever I watch the movie again, I always want to cover my ears in that scene that I've stated.
lol, funniest part in the movie, his nose was unusually big to me.

Search lite= rofl
aragorn's pep speech = wtf?!?
aragorn's singing = ...
denethor flying over edge = lol
when nazgul caught 3 gondor soldiers manning their catapult, then flung them down like 50 stories, u could see one hit the roof of a house down there, could've sworn i heard a crack.
no saruman = ...

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 06:45 AM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samIam
yahooo!

OK for cringing when frodo was stung i kinda got this wierd feeling in my back the first time .... and the who audience let out a sound of ... how so u describe it .. bottled up consispation//? funny

the seach light of sauron !!! hahah

the music like a heartbeat while deagol is being murdered-shiver

fish thing - gross

the way frodo looks whe he says " the ring is mine" = ewww freak!!!

deanathor flying of the nazgul air way -pathetic!!

i love my Samlove

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 08:34 AM
samIam is currently offline Click here to Send samIam a Private Message Find more posts by samIam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Aw mine are nearly the same as you already named... didnt like the heartbeat thingy... Denethor flying was overdramatic... hate Frodos laughter... Searchlight is silly... and I hate Legolas' stupid comments mad

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 10:14 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

The thing I disliked was nearly ALL legolas's comments were over-dramatic. Every time he said them, he stopped, and stared off into the distnce, looking pretty...

"There is a fell voice on the air."

"Blood has been spilt this night."

"The white wizard approaches."

I'm sure there are a lot more than these three, but these are the the ones that come to mind with him standing and staring off into the distance.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 10:48 AM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadow link
aka mr terwilleger

i hardly agree with alot of these comments and most of mine are different.

like all those legolas things, u gotta remember the movie is also made for those who havnt read the books and to make it the least confusing as possible sometimes they had to make things obvious

same with the sauron searchlight, it was good to show people wat was happening incase they didnt know, im mean it might not be that obvious,

but anyway mine are

-when gimli cries in the first movie

(um i thougt i had more but forgot, so much for that)

but otherwise me thinks u guys are to picky, let it flow and think how it would look if u hadnt read the book

WORLD JUGGLING DAY JUNE 19

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 01:26 PM
shadow link is currently offline Click here to Send shadow link a Private Message Find more posts by shadow link Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

A scene I also didnt like... though everybody likes it... is when Pippin looks into the Palantír. Dunno why but I dont like it.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 01:38 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angelsflame265
la la la lalaaaa

yea the fish thing i could have lived with out I closed my eyes the last 2 times i saw it so i wouldn't have to watch it, as for when denethor fell of the cliff, if they didn't show that we all would b like " Where did Denethor go! he just kinnda ran off while being on fire!" don't give me that look u know its true

Offical Country Music Lover of Ravenclaw

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 02:39 PM
angelsflame265 is currently offline Click here to Send angelsflame265 a Private Message Find more posts by angelsflame265 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Camellia
Complete Tolkien geek

I think for the eye, if there had to be a light at all, it should have covered a greater area at one time and be a less intense light. Or, it should have cast a cold shadow over the area it was searching instead.

And I think it should have moved around more slowly. If it was moving slowly, it would appear more ominoussmile

Sorry PJ, I've just told you how to change your film! Just my opinion!big grin

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 02:49 PM
Camellia is currently offline Click here to Send Camellia a Private Message Find more posts by Camellia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

"They run as if the very whips of their masters were behind tham" and "a red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night@

ok legolas look gimli is ten feet behind you aragorn 15 in front who the HELL are you talking too

anything with frodo he turns EVERY joke into a cuddle-fest

frodo: whats in here?
sam: seasoning...you know incase we were having roast chicken one night
frodo: roast chicken
sam: *laughs*
audience: *laughs*
everyone looks at frodo expecting him to laugh or do something funny
frodo: my DEAR sam

ok you love him frodo get over it....

Im Back happy

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 02:50 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enya

the whole slow-mo sequence was hillarious- and really strange

i thought legolas' lines were alrite- but nobody listened to him in the FOTR when he told them to not stay in one place and whenever he did say it they were attacked

when denethor died dat was also hillarious

i didnt find this cringeworthy cos i loved this sequebce but wot was frodo going on about when he told sam near the end that he couldnt remember wot it was like lying naked in the dark!!!

hey to all the people on the kmc LOTRs forum

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 02:57 PM
enya is currently offline Click here to Send enya a Private Message Find more posts by enya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Camellia
Complete Tolkien geek

Oh, the fun I have taking the micky out of the films!

Last time I watched FotR with my dad, we counted how many 'suggestive' looks we could see. I think we counted around 17 from the moment the hobbits met Strider up until the Midgewater Marshessmile

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 02:57 PM
Camellia is currently offline Click here to Send Camellia a Private Message Find more posts by Camellia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Camellia
Complete Tolkien geek

Oh, I liked that speech by Frodosmile Despair a-plentybig grin

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 02:58 PM
enya

i did love that speech dat frodo does as it was really sad i cried but nake in the dark wtf- and people say dat sam was the gay one!

hey to all the people on the kmc LOTRs forum

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 03:04 PM
enya is currently offline Click here to Send enya a Private Message Find more posts by enya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

stick out tongue suggestive looks thorughout the films is rivaled only by the books big grin

gollum the pervert

When Gollum returned to the Hobbits, he found they were sleeping peacefully in each other's arms.

Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee -- but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing.
The Two Towers: "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol," p. 324

Im Back happy

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 03:08 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Camellia
Complete Tolkien geek

Lol, and don't forget teh groping in the dark that Frodo and Sam do in Shelob's lair!

[Sorry everybody]

Old Post Jan 25th, 2004 03:10 PM