KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Did qui gon know padme was the queen?

Did qui gon know padme was the queen?
Started by: Xantos Clone

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Xantos Clone

Did qui gon know padme was the queen?

I know this is not an important topic, but I was wondering what you guys would say about this...

I kind of seamed like qui gon was messing with padme with lines like:

"the queen trusts my jugdement...so should you"

"the queen does not need to know...."

look at his face after he says that, it's funny but I got the feeling he knew and was just having fun with the idea...almost like he was taunting her or teasing.

I can't figure out if he is surprised like everyone else or just looking at obi wan to see his reaction or if obi wan sensed it as well....

this is just a thought...I am not saying he did know..just want your thougts on it

Old Post Sep 27th, 2000 09:04 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

It's seems to me that he did know and he knew he could do whatever he felt he needed to because she's have to divulge her identity in order to get things her way. I like how she ended up pouting in Mos Espa because she knew she had to let him have Anakin race.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2000 09:12 AM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xantos Clone

did qui gon know padme was the queen?

Yea! so I'm not crazy?...there is a hint of qui gon baiting her into slipping or something...

thanks for the input

Old Post Sep 27th, 2000 09:16 AM
Ratcat

Re: did qui gon know padme was the queen?

I agree, his look when she reveal this to the Gungans is like, "so you finally revealed it huh?"

Old Post Sep 27th, 2000 12:41 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tainted one

in the book by terry brooks, there is that scene where the fake amidala says, "either decision means grave danger, for us all" and lookes over her shoulder. then padme says, "we are brave your highness" and as qui gon reflects on that, he realizes, that this was a wierd interchange between those two.

yeah, i'm sure he knew

Old Post Sep 27th, 2000 06:27 PM
Ratcat

It doesn't really say that if you review the text.

Queen Amidala brought up her hand sharply to silence the debate. Turning from her governor and head of security and the Jedi as well, she looked suddenly to her handmaidens, who were pressed close about here. "Either choice presents great risk to all of us...," she said softly, looking from face to face.

Qui-Gon watched the exchange, puzzled. What was the Queen seeking?

The handmaidens glanced at one another, faces barely visible within the confines of red and gold hooded robes. All were silent.

Finally, one spoke. "We are brave, Your Highness," Padmé said firmly.

Alarms continued to sound. "If you are to leave, Your Highness, it must be now," Qui-Gon urged.

Pg 87-88

And then they go, so there is no mention of Qui-Gon's suspicion in the book.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2000 07:27 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tainted one

the reference comes a bit later from where you were just quoting. later (i don't have the book in front of me right here) qui-gon thinks back on that encounter and thinks something like "queen amidala had made the decision, but not exactly" referring to the handmaiden. Ratcat, you've got the book there, it's a few pages or chapters later than where you just were. if you can't find it, i will find it and post it here tomorrow.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2000 09:28 PM
Ratcat

Can you, I would but I'm in the middle of pack for my vacation. I was surprised I couldn't find it, and had just a little TOO much time on my hands at the time I replied smile .

Old Post Sep 28th, 2000 03:23 AM
Xantos Clone

did qui gon know padme was the queen

very cool gang! I'm glad I mentioned this!!

I did read the book and I wish they put more of it in the actual movie...like the tatooine saber fight...doesn't darth maul jump onto the ship after qui gon ?...

also, anakin fighting the red head kid...qui gon breaks up the fight or something....

Old Post Sep 28th, 2000 09:02 AM
Dim
Creativity

Re: did qui gon know padme was the queen

Yeah I wonder if GL is ever going to go back and add that scene in...What do you think?

XC? think we would pick on you and tear you down? Good topic smile

Old Post Sep 28th, 2000 11:40 AM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I loved the whole injured Tusken raider scene and was really diappointed when that didn't happen.

OK, possitvely my last pre-vacation post.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2000 03:06 PM
tainted one

okay, here is the quote. this is from TPM page 103. This scene is on the Naboo cruiser after the escape from Naboo with the help of R2-D2. This is where Panaka is telling Amidala about their escape thanks to the droid.

=============
Queen Amidala leaned forward, and a slender white hand came out to touch the droid's domed casing. "Thank you Artoo-Detoo. You have proven both loyal and brave." She glanced over her shoulder. "Padme."

One of her handmaidens came forward. Qui-gon Jinn, listening to the exchange with half an ear as he considered the problems that lay ahead on Tatooine, noticed that it was the young woman who had supported the Queen's decision to escape from Naboo. He frowned. Except, it hadn't been exactly like that . . .

"See to the cleaning up of this little droid." The Queen was speaking to the girl. "Artoo-Detoo deserves our gratitude." She turned back to Panaka. "Please continue with your report Captain."
==============

The fact that terry brooks put those words in there at all, including the elipses ( . . .) suggests that qui-gon did have a pretty good idea, even if he wasn't 100% sure. and, brooks wasn't going to come right out and have qui-gon saying, "hey, you're the queen aren't you!" that would spoil the moment when she finally reveals herself to boss nass.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2000 06:12 PM
Dim
Creativity

Yeah, it looks like he did know..thanks for finding that, tainted one smile

Old Post Sep 29th, 2000 04:03 AM
KJ
Sausages

Does anyone else think it is strange that the fake Queen asked Padme(the real one) to clean ARTOO? There were other less important handmaidens on the ship.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2000 01:23 AM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedimaster3838

Qui-Gon and the queen

I always wondered that too KJ, maybe she did for fun, knowing the Queen wouldn't say anything to spoil her secret identidy

Old Post Sep 30th, 2000 01:32 AM
Dim
Creativity

Re: Qui-Gon and the queen

Or maybe she knew that Padme would want a closer look at R2?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2000 08:36 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Of course he knew...you don't make yoda's deans list just by swinging a lightsaber in a fancy circle. He was just humoring her, probably figuring if they ran into any serious trouble, he and obi wan could protect her. Unfortunatly they didn't, as that would have been an excellent opportunity for Jar Jar to become Bantha Poodoo.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2000 06:16 AM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

Welcome new person.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Oct 1st, 2000 06:18 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xantos Clone

did qui gon know padme was the queen?

I do remember specifically thinking.....geeeezzz, this fake queen is getting carried away telling padme to clean R2....like the queen was thinking "I she kidding me!?"

On the other hand, notice that padme does not leave immediately...she hangs out and listens to the discussion and is now facing the fake queen durring the discusion....I was wondering if the fake queen was just trying to get padme in her line of site to make a desion w/ padme's help etc.

or she was just really trying to sell the whole thing by having padme do a trivial task etc....if anyone was suspicious, this stunt would put an end to there suspicions.....actually....I think I'm really over-analylizing this one!!

Old Post Oct 1st, 2000 11:21 AM
Dim
Creativity

No..I think you have some valid points..It would make sense that Sabe needed Padme in her line of sight..and I like the idea of dispelling any suspicions that others might have that she's not the real queen..

Good points XC! smile

Old Post Oct 1st, 2000 07:38 PM