KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » The Exorcist is rubbish all that hype for nothing

The Exorcist is rubbish all that hype for nothing
Started by: mbeach

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PissedOffGoalie
Restricted

Account Restricted

its true, i heard the Exortist was the scariest movie ever made so i rented it and it wasnt scary at all

Life out there is raw but we will never stop we will never quit 'cause we are Metallica

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 01:14 AM
PissedOffGoalie is currently offline Click here to Send PissedOffGoalie a Private Message Find more posts by PissedOffGoalie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

no it was mind numbing shite. you can talk about atmosphere all you want, but where do movies like The Exorsist influence Friday the 13th, Haloween or any of the slashers? do you see Jason masturbating with a cross? do you see Freddy spider walking? does Myers prjectile vomit? no they dont. they might use dim lighting but thats all i can think of

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 09:23 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PissedOffGoalie
Restricted

Account Restricted

yeah but it still wasnt scary...i mean, Capitan Howdy?! C'mon!!! and there is nothing scary about mansubation. the movie was very good, i bought it, but not scary

Life out there is raw but we will never stop we will never quit 'cause we are Metallica

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 05:48 PM
PissedOffGoalie is currently offline Click here to Send PissedOffGoalie a Private Message Find more posts by PissedOffGoalie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zombieman
The Undead

The Exorcist is very well researched from both a psychology perspective and a religious perspective. I'm a big fan of this film mainly for the reason that it really got me thinking, largely about my own faith and values.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 09:35 PM
zombieman is currently offline Click here to Send zombieman a Private Message Find more posts by zombieman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

ah well you see theres your problem, most people here probibly ditched their faith and values ages ago, you cant laugh at someone getting decapitated AND have values, its not the way it is wink

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 11:39 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~FreAk'n*WeiRd~
The lies are out there

WEll i thought it was so boring that i had to phone call coversations with friends while i was watching the movie...

The Truth is a Lie

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 02:38 AM
~FreAk'n*WeiRd~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~FreAk'n*WeiRd~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~FreAk'n*WeiRd~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Redeemer

There's little point going on with all this pro EXORCIST/antiEXORCIST waffle. The fact is that THE EXORCIST is a landmark film like others of the genre like FREAKS, DEAD OF NIGHT, PSYCHO, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, TCM, SUSPIRIA, HALLOWEEN, THE EVIL DEAD and TBWP etc.

Each has reinvented the genre. And there's more I could mention but there's no point. THE EXORCIST is about a little girl growing up in an alien adult world with no future hope except to escape into her inner world of horrible demons...

Peter Gabriel - SLEDGEHAMMER.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 08:11 PM
The Redeemer is currently offline Click here to Send The Redeemer a Private Message Find more posts by The Redeemer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

How many times, and how many different ways, can we misspell Exorcist?

I think it gained its standing via Daily Mail type outrage, and this was due to the killer combo of swearing, a young girl, and religion. The first and last have lost much of that original capacity to shock though.

I didn't think it was all that.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 09:59 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lady Lithoniel
PYROFLY

i didnt think it was scary at all... me and my friends were really hyper so i was laughing at almost everything lol

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 11:44 PM
Lady Lithoniel is currently offline Click here to Send Lady Lithoniel a Private Message Find more posts by Lady Lithoniel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

laughing at everything?
why?
shame that many people dont take religeon seriously..this supposedly happened and shoudnt really be laughed at....i suppose you find the movie scream scarier???

'God's heart is the most sensitive and tender of all. No act goes unnoticed, no matter how insignificant or small.'

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 12:14 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

get out of here with that shit kiddo. Don't start resorting to crap like "I suppose you thought Scream was scarier", hinting around that the person only watches/likes modern teenage popcorn flicks just because they don't like the Exorcist.

Guess what........the Exorcist is boring as hell. It does nothing for me. It's almost as challenging to stay awake through it's entirety as it is to stay awake through Lord of the Rings. What.....are you going to imply that maybe I like teeny films like Scream and Urban Legend so I don't know good horror flicks? I think not my friend. That's not the way crap works around here.

You liked a boring movie....good for you. You have the right to your opinion. Other's, including myself, dislike the film........get over it. It's not because we in some way don't know good horror or something, the movie is just boring as shit. If a movie can't keep me concious...I don't rank it very hight on the good film scale.

quote:
shame that many people dont take religeon seriously

oh lord........I'm not going to get into a religious discussion and if it's absurd or not because it is prohibited on KMC.........but I guess now we can all see where exactly your views are coming from.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 03:52 AM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by The Redeemer
The fact is that THE EXORCIST is a landmark film like others of the genre like FREAKS, DEAD OF NIGHT, PSYCHO, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, TCM, SUSPIRIA, HALLOWEEN, THE EVIL DEAD and TBWP etc.

Not to snide you in any way, but while they are landmarks, none of them honestly stood the test of time, except for Halloween and the Evil dead movies. TCM would be another good example here.

Exorcist wasn't scary, people. Not even for it's time. It was visually shocking because of the subject matter. Doesn't mean it was scary? Besides, there was no real fright until the 4th act, and it's "big payoff".

It's almost funny to look at now. I think alot of people just bought into the hype surrounding, and don't want to let it go, for the sake of sounding like a hypocrite. Admit that it's not scary, we won't hurt you. wink

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 05:14 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zombieman
The Undead

Having studied psychology, theology and religion at college and university I found the subject matter of the Exorcist very interesting. However, I feel like Ive spent far too much time defending this movie on internet message boards to no avail, so im just gonna say each to their own.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 11:33 AM
zombieman is currently offline Click here to Send zombieman a Private Message Find more posts by zombieman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pantera
< insert random comment >

This movie was a freakin waste of time. Whoop dee fricken do she can throw up and spin her head, like that crap is supposed to scare people. This movie was just pure crap. It was way more boring than it was cool.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 04:23 PM
Pantera is currently offline Click here to Send Pantera a Private Message Find more posts by Pantera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Evil Dead

You liked a boring movie....good for you. You have the right to your opinion. Other's, including myself, dislike the film........get over it. It's not because we in some way don't know good horror or something, the movie is just boring as sh[b]
it. If a movie can't keep me concious...I don't rank it very hight on the good film scale.

you aint got a clue what you are talking about mate...exorcist would be more remembered and respected in 50 years than the film evil dead....i wonder why???think about it....and im not sayin evil dead is crap..it is probably more entertaining than the exorcist but you are missing the point,the exorcist.......sigh......forget it...im sick of explaining

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 08:55 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

bahahahahaaa

glad to know I don't know what I'm talking about, mate. I've not seen many horror films you know.......

you're right......the exorcist will be remembered more than The Evil Dead (is it really remembered right now in the main stream even?).........not because the quality of the film is any better, only for the same reason it is remembered right now. That being the controversy it caused when it was released........the uproar about the crucifix scene, etc. If it were released today it would fall into the same mediocrity as The Ring...........because as a culture it wouldn't garner all of the "shock value" publicity. Hell, you can probably buy videos today of nothing but women shoving crucifixes in their vaginas while diperaging god.

mediocre movie now.......always has been. It's fame is due to nothing more than the controversy it garnered upon it's original release.......and it's content is not even controversial anymore.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2004 03:59 AM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pantera
< insert random comment >

^ he is correct, the evil dead series is far better than the exorcist and the exorcist in the modern days is just a joke. Its crap, the controversy is what caused it to be so famouse back then but now its crap.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2004 04:28 AM
Pantera is currently offline Click here to Send Pantera a Private Message Find more posts by Pantera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zombieman
The Undead

The Exorcist is a very important film for the horror genre because it brought the concept of demonic possession to the mainstream. Without the Exorcist we wouldn't have had the likes of Amytiville 2, Stigmarta or The Possession.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2004 11:49 AM
jack0987

I just watched this movie again, I gave it another shot b/c of the hype and I'm going to ***** about it again. I don't care that this topic is 6 years old, the movie is older and even shittier than it is old.

RECAP: first 10 minutes: old guy not identified until an hour later is walking through rubble, talks completely irrelevant shit, you can't even count it as dialogue. a couple stone statues are dug up, but these are all pointless and have nothing to do with the rest of the movie. if you watch the movie skipping these first scenes, you don't change anything. it takes place half way across the world from the rest of the movie also. the next 20 minutes are also ridiculous, it's the director's pathetic attempt at character development but this is the breakdown:

stereotypical mother says stereotypical shit that's supposed to give us the idea that she's an average mom who loves her daughter. how does the director do this? well, he has the mom tell her Regan she loves her. very clever.

stereotypical priest says stereotypical priest bullshit that's supposed to give us the idea that he loves his mom and is doubting his faith, blah blah blah. it's ****ing lame and shallow, long story short - anyone could have done as good of a job.

stereotypical daughter is in a few scenes in which she just proves she's an average, one dimensional character that you still don't really know anything about, except that she's normal.

okay... congrats I guess. the director has managed to give us a half hour long introduction with boring scenes to show us a bunch of lame, one dimensional characters. literally nothing happens and any other introduction to these characters couldn't be worse unless you tried pretty hard and even then you'd need the source material and just make it longer or tweak it a bit.

did I mention the "demon" is introduced as captain howdy? yeah... stfu.... another daughter who is barely in the movie just plays with a ouija board that she apparently just randomly found in the closet that she didn't know she even had... and talks to someone on it named captain howdy, but none of this is actually shown and it's done as ineffectively and boringly as possible - through excruciatingly bad dialogue just like the rest of the film, and when she tries to summon this captain howdy she fails. the scene was probably lame, boring, and unintentionally funny so they decided to just let you guess.

the next half hour is just funny, Regan appears as if there's something obviously wrong with her, so doctors shoot her up with something, put a hole in her neck causing blood to spray everywhere, and spin annoyingly loud machines around her head to find out if there's anything wrong with her... for you dumbass fans out there, the irony is that these disturbing methods of finding out what is wrong with her, at this point, should **** her up worse than she already is.

it's also around this time that this 10 year old uses the phrase "goddamn ****" and the doctor is asked if she should see a psychiatrist, to which he basically replies, "no, this is normal, we should run tests for a few more months." LOL. remember the whole reason she's here is b/c she pissed on a rug before seeing these methods the doctors use, and decide it's best to continue using, BEFORE RESORTING TO A PSYCHIATRIST. as if that were worse and as if a few more months of these tests aren't going to land her in the asylum by themselves.

then she goes from slightly ****ed up to full on, obviously possessed. the next scene she's in after this, and keep in mind that everything that's happened so far is at least possible and natural: she is shown stabbing herself in the vagina, twisting her head completely around, telling herself to let Jesus **** her, and moving things around in her room with telekinesis. keep in mind that the second craziest thing she's ever done before this scene is cuss. LOL

okay... despite the obvious ridiculousness of this sudden transition, let's suppose for a second that for some reason this big bad devil person wanted to possess a child. what the **** could that reason possibly be? what did it want to accomplish? you're telling me that satan himself wanted to possess Regan so that it could taunt priests, puke, masturbate, cuss, and lay in bed for the whole ****ing movie ? oh no, watch out, don't hurt me Satan....

yeah, b/c that's what the devil does. he disguises himself as "captain howdy," chills in your attic, and then decides to possess your kid so it can perform such evil acts as spouting immature phrases and cussing while it lays in bed. sooooooo scary. GTFO. tell me the demon isn't in bed for over half the movie, including the entire last hour, and you're lying. this movie ****ing sucks. the demon doesn't even do anything all that evil.

let's assume you or your kid absolutely must be possessed right now. would you take this scenario over a random one? seriously, consider this question. you can either put up with being stuck in bed, or you could be damned to be forced into doing god knows what. the choice between random and most likely truly evil acts such as murder/rape, or supposed "evil" that really just borders on immature blasphemy. I think you'd rather the bed scenario, come on. you'd even get to spit on priests, and if that's not a deal maker I don't know what is.

the point is, the movie is awful. the actors are good, it's better than halloween at least, but it's boring and stupid. it's immature shock, comparable to Freddy Got Fingered, the only difference is that it's presented as horror instead of comedy and fails miserably.

oh and if you're one of those assholes with the excuse that this is "just believable," or "this could totally happen!" I'm just going to point out the fact that your god directly contradicts himself on the first page of your "holy" book, not to mention dozens of other times (see genesis 1:20 and 2:19). oh yeah and he kills people, way scarier than this big bad satan dude you're so afraid of in this stupid, boring movie.

you have no excuse to be afraid during this movie. why were you pussies so terrified as to be running out of the theater? you must have just been too paralyzed to run during TCM. the movie blows and to quote the so very mature Regan, you can "shove it up your asses, *******."

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2011 01:25 AM
jack0987 is currently offline Click here to Send jack0987 a Private Message Find more posts by jack0987 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

An excellent film and you kids are so used to high speed entertainment that you can't handle tension and realism.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2011 04:36 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote