KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » The Exorcist is rubbish all that hype for nothing

The Exorcist is rubbish all that hype for nothing
Started by: mbeach

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jack0987

quote: (post)
Originally posted by the ninjak
An excellent film and you kids are so used to high speed entertainment that you can't handle tension and realism.

realism, that's a laugh. oh and my favorite movie by miles is The Godfather, exorcist is boring and immature and I'd be willing to bet that I'm older and smarter than you. this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it IS slow, the pace isn't to blame for how rotten it is. the demon's introduced as captain howdy in one of the saddest excuses for a scene with even more pathetic dialogue and lame, stereotypical characters.

the director and writer just plain suck. later scene: "is there someone in there with you?" "yes" "is it captain howdy?" are you ****ing kidding me? I'm shaking in my barney the dinosaur underpants, I think I'll need my teddy bear for the rest of this scene, let me pause it. this totally would be a kids' horror also, if it weren't for the fact that it's just too obscene. too obscene for what should be the target audience, too immature and laughable for an intelligent adult. dumbass amateurs. not surprising they never did anything else notable. read my last post. "cunting hun," "you mother****ing worthless **********," "your mother sucks cocks in hell," "let jesus **** you."

if I said anything half as disgusting without quoting the movie, I would be banned by forum nazis for obscenity and trolling on most boards. oh yeah, and while I'm at it btw, "there seems to be an alien pubic hair in my gin." wtgdf?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2011 09:43 AM
jack0987 is currently offline Click here to Send jack0987 a Private Message Find more posts by jack0987 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mardook
Easier said than done!

Re: The Exorcist is rubbish all that hype for nothing

Originally posted by mbeach
All the the hype about the original Exorcist is all rubbish. Yeah there are a few good bits in like the spider walk but does not stand up with some of the other films. yeah when it came out in all those years ago it was deem as scary but now i just lauagh at it. all the the trouble it caused and banning it was a joke!!!. it shows now all the the so called video nastys are been released that shows how rubbish some of them are

This only illustrates the very fact that today's generation of movie viewers have been exposed to crappy movies from an early age. Today's movies show everything right away and overexplain everything.
Then when they go and see something from a previous generation and they claim FAIL, GAY OR It SUCKS! Because it could not achieve some perceived sense of expectation that it was truly scary.
My answer to that would be... well too bad. You grew up in the wrong time period. Sucks to be you! wink

Old Post Feb 26th, 2011 08:10 AM
mardook is currently offline Click here to Send mardook a Private Message Find more posts by mardook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Piggott
Sith Acolyte

I agree that the Exorcist sucks, but obviously that's just personal opinion. I saw it when I was like nine or 10, and I just thought it was horrible. My mother was all excited to get me to watch it, and I wasn't scared nor did I have any nightmares. My mother said it was scary in her day, but nowadays I think it sucks. I think it just shows how everything evolves and people start liking new things. Back in the day people thought pong was hot, but now it couldn't hold a light to games like assassins creed. When Madonna came out with that Vogue song I think, it was banned from MTV because of he sexual scene, now thas common in videos.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2011 09:27 AM
Darth Piggott is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Piggott a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Piggott Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

the movie is over hyped to hell but its still a quality movie

its not boring either, you just haven't got an attention span

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Feb 26th, 2011 08:26 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Piggott
Sith Acolyte

I never said it was boring, and when I say it sucked I mean from a horror point of view. The movie itself was pretty good. I wouldn't say I don't have an attention scan just because the Exorcist wasn't up to par with my standards. I mean lets be real when the movie came out some critics complained that it was boring. I'm sure they don't have short attention spans being critics and all, because who wants to sit around watching movies all day?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2011 01:40 PM
Darth Piggott is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Piggott a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Piggott Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

my comment wasn't aimed at you specifically.

its a great movie in my opinion. do you have to have nightmares for a horror movie to be good? no of course you don't.

you just want lots of action,blood and gore and it was never about that in any way.

what specifically did the exorcist lack?

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Feb 27th, 2011 01:55 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Piggott
Sith Acolyte

I don't have to have nightmares for a horror movie to be good, but when I was young I was afraid of the dark. Not once when I laid in the dark did I think about some possessed girl coming after me, I prob would have tried to have sex with her at that age, even though I didn't hit puberty. It just didn't have that shock factor, that kept me in the story. Good movies should be able to control your emotions.

I agree with Evil Dead in that Jaws, The Amityville Horror, The Omen, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, and others were great movies, but I just didn't like the Exorcist. You know Hostel had a lot of blood and gore, but I still thought it sucked because I thought the story was stupid. For me action, blood, and gore is good but the story is what captivates me, the rest is just icing on the cake.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2011 02:08 PM
Deano

the film was never meant to scare you in the way that ''oh i dont want this possessed girl after me''

its about the strain a family has to go through when there 12 year old daughter is suffering terribly. that is the main theme.

i always thought of the exorcist as a drama first with horror elements thrown in. it is character driven which makes you care for the characters

again you say its not about blood and gore and you say its about the story, so i say again...what is it that was so bad about the story in the exorcist? what would of made it better in your opinion?

the film was perfect in what it set out to achieve. just cos you don't like it doesn't make it bad. its just that the film didn't appeal to you in the way in which you would of liked

Old Post Feb 27th, 2011 02:43 PM
Darth Piggott
Sith Acolyte

I never said I didn't like it as a movie just from a horror view. I don't think it's a bad movie, but I agree with your statement that it didn't appeal to me in the way I would have liked. If you put it as a drama first then I can accept that, I just don't think that its a good horror movie. My problem with it was that it never scared me thats all. Nothing else

Old Post Feb 27th, 2011 02:49 PM
jack0987

Deano: "what specifically did the exorcist lack?"

A demon that DOESN'T go by the name of Captain Howdy. A demon that wasn't introduced in a lame scene with a daughter who finds

R A N
D O M
Ouiji board in the closet that she didn't know she had. A victim that we actually know something about, that makes her likable. but no, if you were to introduce a priest, 9 out of 10 people would just show him doubting his faith and loving his mother through bad dialogue and boring scenes. that was no feat, the movie is pathetic, the story is simple, the characters are one dimensional, it sucks ass. and I love almost every classic horror you could name. this isn't one of them. oh yeah, and I ****ing hate every horror I've seen in the past decade, although I'm very astonished with the writers of Saw.

if you've ever watched a 7 part horror film, you'll see there is no thought put into it whatsoever, but if anything there is way, way too much plot in Saw. I actually view it as more of a cop drama, especially 4 and 5. blows friday the 13th, halloween, nightmare on elm street, the howling, puppet master, texas chainsaw massacre (as a series), child's play (as a series), and hellraiser (as a series) out of the water.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 01:39 AM
jack0987 is currently offline Click here to Send jack0987 a Private Message Find more posts by jack0987 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by jack0987

A demon that DOESN'T go by the name of Captain Howdy. A demon that wasn't introduced in a lame scene with a daughter who finds

R A N
D O M
Ouiji board in the closet that she didn't know she had. A victim that we actually know something about, that makes her likable. but no, if you were to introduce a priest, 9 out of 10 people would just show him doubting his faith and loving his mother through bad dialogue and boring scenes. that was no feat, the movie is pathetic, the story is simple, the characters are one dimensional, it sucks ass. and I love almost every classic horror you could name. this isn't one of them. oh yeah, and I ****ing hate every horror I've seen in the past decade, although I'm very astonished with the writers of Saw.

if you've ever watched a 7 part horror film, you'll see there is no thought put into it whatsoever, but if anything there is way, way too much plot in Saw. I actually view it as more of a cop drama, especially 4 and 5. blows friday the 13th, halloween, nightmare on elm street, the howling, puppet master, texas chainsaw massacre (as a series), child's play (as a series), and hellraiser (as a series) out of the water.

The story was in the end that Reagan is actually a great healer and many have been born around the world. Demons like Pazuzu possess and kill them. Captain Howdy was just a name Reagan created, like an imaginary friend. And Pazuzu was a great villain.
This film didn't need to express such a plot. It gave us a family dealing with a sick daughter who actually turned out to be possessed.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 02:22 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Originally posted by jack0987

R A N
D O M

it went by the name of captain howdy to LURE regan in. the demon is called pazuzu. use your brain kid.

i couldn't understand the rest of your ravings . sorry

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 04:43 PM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by Deano
it went by the name of captain howdy to LURE regan in. the demon is called pazuzu. use your brain kid.

i couldn't understand the rest of your ravings . sorry

The fact that he thinks the Saw series >>>>Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hellraiser proves he is clueless.
And only interested in cheap fast paced thrills.

Bring it on punks! Tell us why The Exorcist in your view was such a "rubbish!" film. Looks like alot of you need a lesson in art.

Last edited by the ninjak on Mar 5th, 2011 at 08:35 PM

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 08:32 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Its OK if people don't like it, they are entitled to there opinion. But it seems they have to go over the top and act as if its a terrible terrible movie, which it is far from being

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 10:26 PM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Don't mind me kid's just think of me as your drunken uncle who likes to have a rant sometimes.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2011 04:26 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
How many times, and how many different ways, can we misspell Exorcist?

I'm more interested in knowing what "mansubation" is & can I do it in public? cool

Old Post Mar 10th, 2011 06:23 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K.Diddy
DiddyWood Style

beer I'm 50/50 on this one, I would never label The Exorcist as a 'great' movie,but I like it enough to own and maybe watch once a year,but I do agree it was and still is,completely overrated and none of the sequels did the movie any justice at all eithier

Old Post Mar 19th, 2011 11:47 PM
K.Diddy is currently offline Click here to Send K.Diddy a Private Message Find more posts by K.Diddy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
anfernee06

^^ nice..

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2011 05:31 AM
anfernee06 is currently offline Click here to Send anfernee06 a Private Message Find more posts by anfernee06 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DanzielBoi

Just saw the movie like 10 minutes ago and I will have to say. I am a bit disappointed, and I will say why.

I won't argue the cinematic effect of the movie on its genre, or the idea that the content was more than repulsive in the day, except for the fact that it did have more of a shocking factor back then than it does now. But only because like most things we get desensitized to things like crude language and obscene gestures (masturbation) and gruesome blood squirting and repulsive throwing up (to some).

But that in itself is not the reason why I was disappointed. The hype that was been created over the years is a bit like a snowball, what was once a good movie in it's time has wined down, and there are still those who can appreciate it and look at it from the perspective of its time. I can appreciate the movie and I really do.

But like I said the hype was like a giant snowball but as soon as I watched it the snow ball finally hit something and got destroyed. It wasn't bad, mind you that some people found it to be long and boring, my BF being one of them and I to a lesser extent. I mean I did find the movie had certain parts that were somewhat unnecessary, but I felt that overall it moved well enough. I mean if you come into it with a mind set that it's going to be super ridiculous scary like I somewhat did then it's going to flop for you.

I was excited because I heard such good things about it, and of course even though I had never watched the movie until know I was aware of the more famous scenes, and watched pieces of documentaries on it. But this is what I get instead.

Spoilers just so people know.

============================================

Not much explanation on anything at the beginning to be honest, which I guess I can't really blame them at this point because its the beginning. I will give them the fact that they know who to portray distress quite well even without saying a word. But still a bit of explanation wouldn't hurt. I mean it seems as if the priest is having a series of internal dialogue which we as the audience have no idea about. But like I said I didn't really care much because it was the beginning and nothing really needed to be explained.

Now to the middle of the movie, there wasn't much going on all of it was the mom freaking out over test results and no progression at least not positive in her daughters health. The priest's mom died which a bit later he has a dream where she seems to be asking for help and is walking down to the subway station. But I believe that was a dream that the demon conjured to make him worry about his mothers soul subconsciously. Which was one of the more ingenious part of the movie. Overall the middle was the most boring part of the movie, probably the part that people don't really care for. That being because even though the movie is about 2 hours and some change long, none of the characters are truly developed enough to really care about them, which is just personal opinion, I mean while the movie seemed slow paced it was too fast paced for characterization. Take the cop for instance, he is there and we get what he is doing, but the movie makes him seem like a much more crucial part that he really is. If anything his removal from most of the movie would effect nothing. Which is kind of disappointing, I mean things like that were what caused a lot of the time to be removed from fleshing out the characters. But anyway to the last part.

The exorcism was the most interesting part and I understand that is what a lot of people watch the movie for. Obviously the movie is hyped and talked about more in regards to the exorcism but sadly that is only really like 20 min of the movie. But I had come to expect that from some other movies that involved exorcisms. But when the most notable part of the movie is only 20 min long then some people are bound to be disappointed, heck even the cover picture scene which a lot of people recognize automatically wasn't introduced until the end of the movie. The exorcism itself was good but how it was resolved was a bit weird. I mean the priest dies... But how? I assume that the demon got loose and killed the priest, but then again the priest had an ailment and was old. So the world may never know, and then the priest becomes emotionally compromised and starts chocking the demon... in the name of the father? But in the end the demon was removed from the girl, because the father was screaming asking the demon to posses him instead of the girl, which apparently the demon wanted the entire time. He wanted him, I assume because he was a father of the order, which was losing his faith. (perfect time to strike) but I guess the demon couldn't posses him because as I know the demon has to give you permission and or you have to be "friends" haha. Sorry lost my train of thought. But anyway as soon as the girl possessed by the demon removed the fathers pendant and possessed him which I assume that is the reason he wasn't able to be possessed before. I assume I am not the first to notice that.

Overall like I said before I liked this move, because in the end I took it for what it was. A movie that was more about suffering rather than horror. But so much was left unanswered at least for me. The only thing I found somewhat scary/creepy was the floating face that appeared out of no where like twice, that was interesting and good quick jump scare tactic. But not really horror movie quality, the characters underdeveloped I ended up not really caring much about anybody. Emotional connections don't need to be made for a horror movie, but if you are going for more of a drama/horror, or maybe a different direction with horror where you want your audience to feel like that could be them, then you need more of an emotional connection between your audience and the character, the audience can't just automatically think that could be them, they have to see it from a more emotional/psychological side. But anyway the priest and his mom, yeah we get it his mom died it was sad, but did it really contribute anything to the movie? I mean sure you can argue that his faith was shaken by it, that it was used to kinda prove that the girl possessed knowledge she shouldn't and yeah the demon kind of used it against him, but all of that had no major impact on the story. Just like the cop/detective who had no true place. I could go on but I shall not. the movie was good for its time, and it shall forever be revered that way. Nothing will ever remove that no matter what anyone says, but we have to come to the conclusion that while it was amazing in that time, now it doesn't come to the standards of Hitchcock films, and others that have after it.

But I will say this though, the reason that it was actually so boring, was because it was based (although I don't know how much) on a true story. So if a supernatural occurrence in real life happened, maybe the creators/director of the movie didn't think it needed spicing up, hence the boring nature years later, the felt the reality or truths of the event would be sufficient to scare people, and leave a lasting effect. Which it did, and that is probably the reason it is so boring, we are so used to supernatural stories that are "real" now a days to be scary and hyped, that is why now they say "based on true events" because they change quite a bit at times to make it that much more interesting, because everyday human life is quite boring at times. So I don't blame the movie for that it was trying to be honest from the perspective of people there.

So that is it, I was probably repetitive at times (seeing as I am most of the time lol) but I hope I got my point across, I thought the movie was good and interesting. But as a sole horror genre movie it doesn't cut it. It is gross, and crude, also it takes some things that can be disturbing which don't make a horror movie, but the horror like qualities it did have it only had some of those factors and in a very limited spectrum so horror? no, drama/horror possibly drama/supernatural/suspense yeah pretty much.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2013 06:49 PM
DanzielBoi is currently offline Click here to Send DanzielBoi a Private Message Find more posts by DanzielBoi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
COG Veteran
Teh GrOovY 1

Never saw it but I will give it a shot nonetheless just because it's one of the classics. Nothing will ever stack up to the awesomeness of "the thing".

Old Post Oct 15th, 2013 10:09 PM
COG Veteran is currently offline Click here to Send COG Veteran a Private Message Find more posts by COG Veteran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote