KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Official Inter-House Challenge Thread

Official Inter-House Challenge Thread
Started by: Tassie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (79): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tassie

Warning Official Inter-House Challenge Thread

Firstly, you must belong to a Hogwarts House to post in this thread.
Okay, you must all already know Rogue's and my idea about this Inter-House Challange, but if not, i'll refresh you on it here.

You chat and discuss and plan Challenges in your Common rooms. This thread is NOT a chat or discussion thread, like your Common rooms. The sole purpose of this thread is for houses to post and answer Challenges.
An Official thread is created so that many individual Challenge threads won't appear, cluttering the forum.

Phoe is too busy to take time to judge our Challenges, so the Heads of Houses will be in charge of rewarding points. Please Be Fair!!!

Every house should participate in each Challenge, including the House that started the Challenge. It's not compulsary for your house to be a part of every Challenge, but if you're not, it's your house's loss.

I think we can agree on ten points as the reward for the winning house.

Each Challenge should have a deadline, i say about 3 or 4 days should do it?

And also, we should not have more than 1 entry per house. Every entry becomes permanent on entering; you cannot take it back.

Let me just explain a Theory Challenge. Every house ((that's willing to participate of course)) will come up with their own theory, and, easily, the House with the best and most likely theory will be awarded the 10 pts. There are no consolation points stick out tongue However, houses may tie.

I have a Theory Challenge from my own House, Gryffindor, but i'll wait until my fellow members return before the Challenge is posted.

^^ Now, tell me, did you understand everything i just said? big grin Let me know if you have any problems, questions, or anything to add!

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 03:58 AM
Tassie is currently offline Click here to Send Tassie a Private Message Find more posts by Tassie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

Edit: I'm so sorry, i meant every house should not have more than 2 entries

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 04:07 AM
Tassie is currently offline Click here to Send Tassie a Private Message Find more posts by Tassie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RebelPhoenix
I work in mysterious ways

Woohoo! This thread is up and running! big grin

okily then, here as some quotes from the Gryffindor House, don't worry nothing too sauce I wouldn't want to spread gossip stick out tongue - lol but they are challenge ideas. This was everybody can see them and say what they think smile

Firstly our esteemed Tassie came up with the idea that we should do a theory challenge and my idea for that was:

quote:
Hmm ok I have an idea - about a theory for the very end, as in what will happen in the final book just before and while they are leaving Hogwarts - will they defeat V or not, who will fight him, who will die/get injured etc - will they fight at all?? Basically just something really open and see what people come up with - as long or as short as they like as long as it doesn't spiral too out of control and beyond understanding lol.

Then Unicor777 had a good game idea:

quote:
Speaking of which .... maybe is time for inter-house competition ! so lets discuss about game 1 ? What can it be ? Maybe we should nominate 3 representatives, and each house should .... then the match can start ... each house will have 4 questions to ask the other house (the opponent) while the side asked will have 1 day to answer ... if this does not happen then the asking side will win. What u think ?????

Personally I really like Unicor777's idea - see I was thinking of something like a game challenge to begin with so that it would be exciting and fun without too much brain work like the theory one lol *AhemIamnotreallylazyIswear* wink or maybe we could do both! smile I don't know - what does everybody else think and what other ideas do you have? smile

Official Gryffindor Lawyer

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 04:18 AM
RebelPhoenix is currently offline Click here to Send RebelPhoenix a Private Message Find more posts by RebelPhoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RoguePw25
Hogwarts Headboy

yes yes and yes. Okay, we have the rules down and everythign so let's begin. If everyone understand what's going on, i suppose we can get started.

I like both the above ideas, buf right now, I think we should start off with a little game. Nothing too complicated, but kinda simple, just to get things running. Agreed???

But of course, Houses are still getting together there Heads, so when you are done, post your ideas here.

Learn from yesterday...
Live for today...
Hope for tomorrow...

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 05:35 AM
RoguePw25 is currently offline Click here to Send RoguePw25 a Private Message Find more posts by RoguePw25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joy2dWorld
Oriental Potentate

OK, how about this... HBO (in the US) is offering a first look behind the scenes of PoA... and I've got the schedules here:

ALL SHOWINGS, HBO/MAX East

Tue 5/25 08:45 PM HBO - EAST
Tue 5/25 11:45 PM HBO - WEST

Fri 5/28 12:15 PM HBO - EAST
Fri 5/28 03:15 PM HBO - WEST

Sat 5/29 11:00 AM HBO2 - EAST
Sat 5/29 02:00 PM HBO2 - WEST

Mon 5/31 07:45 AM HBO - EAST
Mon 5/31 10:45 AM HBO - WEST
Mon 5/31 06:45 PM HBO - EAST
Mon 5/31 09:45 PM HBO - WEST

Do I get Slytherin points for posting this first??

Happy Dance Slytherin rulez! Rupert Rox My Sox! Weasley Is My King! Go R/H! Happy Dance

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 10:51 AM
Joy2dWorld is currently offline Click here to Send Joy2dWorld a Private Message Find more posts by Joy2dWorld Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joy2dWorld
Oriental Potentate

oh, and how about being the first to report that Rita Skeeter has just been cast and its gonna be Rosamund Pike!

she's that annoying woman in the James Bond movie "Die Another Day"... here's a link to her photos

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 11:04 AM
Joy2dWorld is currently offline Click here to Send Joy2dWorld a Private Message Find more posts by Joy2dWorld Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

:!!!! Joy2dWorld: this is the place to post those things ... if there is such competitions like freshers news on HP/POA you might get some points .. in this situation I would take points from your house... but of course I'm autorised to do that ! Don;t do it again !

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 01:05 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elondra
Punk Princess

quote:
Originally posted by RoguePw25
But of course, Houses are still getting together there Heads, so when you are done, post your ideas here.

Well unfortunately Ravemclaw still hasn't got a Headsad

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 02:15 PM
Elondra is currently offline Click here to Send Elondra a Private Message Find more posts by Elondra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

Okay, please... Save all comments and questions for Common Rooms and the Sorting Thread. I think the Sorting thread should be the Official questions and comments thread.

As for Joy2dWorld, you brought up a fair point.
Points awarding should therefore stand thus:
10 pts for winning a Challenge
5 pts for bringing us the latest info

And yes, Joy2dWorld, you CAN use this thread to post your info, etc...
So fairly, Slytherin should be awarded 5 pts wink

To start things off smoothly, before we get into the theories, i was thinking a simpler, more straight-forward Challenge.

A Signature-making Challenge.... the house to design the best hp Signature, including the symbol of their House, will get the 10 pts, just to start things off. wink

We begin the Signature-making Challenge today. I say by Thursday, this Challenge shall be ended, so the deadline is Thursday.

Any problems, comments or questions, as is said, post them in your common rooms or in the Sorting thread, where i will certainly reply to them, or feel free to pm me wink

LET THE FIRST CHALLENGE BEGIN!!!!! big grin big grin big grin devil

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 02:59 PM
Tassie

Muahahaha.... moi has earned mah house our first 5 pts!
These are mistakes from JK's bks...

Marcus Flint, 8th year student?

First, go to the Quidditch chapter of Sorcerer's Stone.
On pg 185, bottom half of the page in the paperback version, the book tells us that Marcus Flint is the Slytherin Captain in his sixth year.
That means Harry's second year is Marcus Flints seventh and final year at Hogwarts.
In the Harry's third year, the Prisoner of Azkaban, the Quidditch Final chapter, page 306, fourth line, Wood and Flint shake hands.
HOLD ON! This year would be Flint's eighth year. You are only supposed to go to Hogwarts for seven! An arguable error indeed, J.K. Rowling has since clarified that Flint has held back a year, which makes sense considering Flint's character.

Headmaster Albus Dumblefore?

In chapter twenty-two (pg 428), Owl Post Again, close to the end when Harry and Dumbledore are talking in Lupin's office after he left, J.K. spelled Dumbledore's name as Dumblefore. This is found only in American First Edition books.

Dark Mark, Where?

In the Goblet of Fire, when Harry gets stuck in the stairs and Snape and Moody comes along, Moody makes some statement. I forgot what it was, but it was something pertaining to the Dark Mark on Snape's arm. Snape suddenly grabs his right arm, therefore the mark should be on that arm. But later, he shows Fudge the mark on his left arm...

Slytherin, Ancestors or Descendents?

Not quite halfway through the final chapter "Dobby's Reward" in Chamber of Secrets, Dumbledore explains to Harry why he can speak Parseltongue. In this explanation, he refers to Lord Voldemort as "the last remaining ancestor of Salazar Slytherin." He quite obviously means descendant, not ancestor, unless the Slytherin family reproduces differently from the rest of humanity.

Snape or Snap?

If you look on page 285 of the Prisoner of Azkaban, in the chapter "Snape's Grudge", on the second line from the bottom of that page you will see Snape's name spelled as "Snap"! Found in first American Edition, Hardcover.

Moody...No! It's Crouch!

In the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 35, "Veritaserum". The spoken line is: "The Imperius Curse," *Moody* said. "I was under my father's control. I was forced to wear an Invisibility cloak day and night………". Oops! Why is Moody saying this? It should be Crouch saying it.

Chess Lessons

In 'Through the Trapdoor' in book 1 Harry, Ron and Hermione take the place of the chess set pieces. Ron takes the place of a knight but when it comes to him sacrificing himself to the queen he only takes a pace forward. Knights cannot move just 1 pace forward.

Confused Clock

In Book 2, the Weasley's clock shows phrases such as Feed the Chickens but in Book 4, it only states the locations of family members. We may be able to conclude that the Weasleyes have two clocks. In book 2, the clock is described as hanging on the wall and in book 4, it is the 'old grandfather clock'. Grandfather clocks aren't known to hang on walls.

Stupid Seeker?

In one of the books, the Slytherin Keeper makes a foul during a Quidditch match, but J.K. marks it as "a foul on the Slytherin Seeker".

Perry Weasley?

In the Goblet of Fire, when Harry gets stuck in the stairs and In Chamber of Secrets, the paperback, on page 157 after PERCY says "Get--away--from--there--" his name is misspelled as "Perry". It's on line 11 from the bottom.

Nearly Headless Nick is Nearly 500

In book 1, it is almost Nearly Headless Nick's 400th death day (years since he died). But in book 2, he celebrates his 500th deathday.

Charlie works in "Rumaina"

In book 4 (English Hardback), it states that Ron's brother Charlie works with dragons in "Rumania" surely this should be "Romania". It is found on chapter 5 first page on line 21.

Bill Weasley: Left Hogwarts When Harry Came?

In the 4th book, Bill Weasley says that he has not been to Hogwarts in 5 years. Since Harry is in his 4th year, that would conclude that Bill had left the school the year before Harry joined Hogwarts. This cannot be true because Bill is the oldest child of the Weasley family. Charlie (the second oldest) is younger than Bill, but he was not at school when Harry was. Charlie probably left the school at least three years before Harry came. We can determine this because Fred and George were talking about how they had not won a single game since Charlie left (Fred and George said this in Harry's first year). They probably would not have been talking as though Charile had left the year before. This was pointed out to J.K Rowling, she said that Bill visited the school for one of Charlie's Quidditch matches.

So, we're tied with Slytherin w/ 5 pts..... boo..... stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 03:51 PM
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Book mistake for the 5th book

When the DA meet in Hogsmeade we see Dennis Creevey there, he's only a second year yet he's at Hogsmeade which only are third years and up.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 03:56 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

*grumbles* five points to Gryffindor......

oh sorry, i meant Hufflepuff...

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 04:03 PM
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Now now Tassie, play fair now. wink

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 04:07 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RebelPhoenix

I don't think we should be awarded points for the latest news - I mean we do that anyway and it's part of the other threads in the forum. It's like giving us points for what we already do and not stuff that is set as a competative challenge or game. Like this morning I posted 4 bits of news - that Cho, Padma& Pavarti, Krum had all been cast and part of a new theory from Rowling but I don't expected to be awarded points for it - that's way too easy.

Plus I'm sorry Tassie, but I don't like the earning points for mistakes things either because I mean - where and when had that challenge been set? It just came out of nowhere and we're awarding points for it - if it goes like this then anyone will be able to post anything without the knowledge and general consensus of the whole group and get points for it. There's no way people can keep up either because unless it's officially chosen by a vote or something as the actual task to do then people are always going to miss things and not get the opportunity to earn points. If the finding of mistakes had been set as a task then I'd be fine with it and each house would have to submit two entries max each like your rules say but the end of a certain deadline and then points would be awarded.

I just don't think it's fair or organised like this, I'm sorry - I may just be a suckekr for the rules or somethign and if I'm way off base please explain it to me better.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 04:29 PM
RebelPhoenix is currently offline Click here to Send RebelPhoenix a Private Message Find more posts by RebelPhoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

yeah, i know what you mean... but just to start off i suppose. It's only 5 points. By the time the first Challenge is over, all houses should have at least 5 pts in their name, by then.
After that, only Challenges and REAL info gets awarded.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 04:32 PM
RebelPhoenix

ok gotcha smile

Oh and I'm confused about the whole challenge thing because first you said that you wanted to do a theory and now all a sudden I've been reading round and it seems you want a graphic instead, which is by fine all means. But I think we need to sort out just what is going on to prevent general group confusion - are you going to be the one who makes challenges or are the ideas going to come from all of us and we vote because if you just set them then there's no point in us posting our ideas like we have been?

Oh and btw whomever makes the challenge - can it be written in bold please (the whole post) cos even though I looked over the post you made it totally didn't register and I kinda missed it and I don't want that to happen to everybody messed

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 04:41 PM
Tassie

ok lol

I thought, to start things off easy first, the first Challenge could be a graphics Challenge. If ppl respond to it fairly enough, we can move on to tougher Challenges like the Theory Challenges

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 04:43 PM
Tassie

Btws, you can submit your entries for the Challenge whenever you're finished and ready smile

It'll quicken things up

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 08:33 PM
Elondra
Punk Princess

quote:
Originally posted by tassie
Btws, you can submit your entries for the Challenge whenever you're finished and ready smile

It'll quicken things up

I've made one already but I have to check it with my house as we are only allowed 2 entriessad

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 08:36 PM
Elondra is currently offline Click here to Send Elondra a Private Message Find more posts by Elondra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

Oh! *bangs head* I forgot...

We need a voting technique. Once entries are submitted, the houses gather in their common rooms and are given one day to compromise their votes. The final vote the house makes, will depend on the Heads' decision. Then, the Head will post the houses' final vote in THIS thread. If the Head's not here, someone else from the house can post the vote here

Comprende? smile

Old Post Apr 12th, 2004 09:06 PM