KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman power limits?

Superman power limits?
Started by: SuperDarryl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Anthonypilone01

quote: (post)
Originally posted by kal-el
Pre-crisis he could move planets - bathe in the sun, travel faster than light and travel through space without breathing etc. His hearing was so good that I once read he heard someone in trouble from 250 miles away! These days since the crisis they've not limited his powers as such, but have stopped him doing such outrageously powerful things.I think that they want to leave it open so they can show him do something unbeleivable in the future.He's not as fast thats for sure and he can be cut by Doomsday's bone protrusions(coz Doomsday's at least as invulnerable as supes) and point blank massive explosions can also break his skin.and he can hold his breath for very long but would need breathing apparatus in space for example. With regard to his heat vision, it seems to have more range these days. Meaning that rather than just a beam of heat, he can fire short, sharp blasts for example. These days he can see 1000 miles into the distance, not sure how far he could see before. His strength is still up there with the strongest of them I would venture to say and it seems the writers want readers to believe that Kal doesnt know the full extent of his powers coz he tries so hard to control them. He obviously came to his limits fighting doomsday but we don't know the exact limits of that particular incarnation of doomsday, so it still leaves the 'unknown factor' about his limits. I doubt DC would dare publish any limits to his powers coz they want to leave options open. I reckon he can lift in excess of 1million tonnes on a really good day, but I've no idea what weighs a million tonnes to be honest. I have read about him lifting an entire submarine with what looked like extreme ease and a sub weighs about 30,000 tonnes or something, so it's def way more than that IMO.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 01:09 AM
Anthonypilone01 is currently offline Click here to Send Anthonypilone01 a Private Message Find more posts by Anthonypilone01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anthonypilone01

Originally posted by Anthonypilone01

I'm a huge Superman fan and yet I'm still learning more about the character. I have a question for you.
Does Superman's powers increase with age? Just curious, thats all.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 01:13 AM
Anthonypilone01 is currently offline Click here to Send Anthonypilone01 a Private Message Find more posts by Anthonypilone01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anthonypilone01

I'm a huge Superman fan and I'm still learning about the charatcer.
I have a question for you.
Does Superman's powers (including strength and speed) increase with age? Just curious, thats all.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 01:15 AM
Anthonypilone01

Oh, sorry, I sent two of the same message to you. Forgive me, man.
I'm new here, so...I'm still learning how to get around this site.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 01:21 AM
-Pr-

They're supposed to, yes.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 08:42 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

Originally posted by Anthonypilone01
I'm a huge Superman fan and I'm still learning about the charatcer.
I have a question for you.
Does Superman's powers (including strength and speed) increase with age? Just curious, thats all.

Yeah, just like a human. There is a high and low. Though, his exposure to the sun is what really give him more power in time.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 05:41 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Can Move Celstial Objects such as Moons and Small planets, but this taxes him to the limits of his power(Too right it takes the Sun about a hundred years to yield enough energy to duplicate this power).

Durability limits;

General Consensus from writers at the moment is that a planetary explosions will cause enough traumatic damage to knock him unconscious. We're talking the same power yield of the detonation of trillions of Nuclear explosions simultaneously. bare in mind that explosions shouldn't really be an effective means of Killing Superman, the heat explosive energies so deadly in usual circumstances will have the same power enhancing effects as solar radiation. Light emitted from an explosion will do the same as light emitted from the Sun. Don't forget the sun is basically a massive self sustaining explosion. I theorize this is why he's usually unable to take the same kind of punishment in blunt force (i.e. fists).

Speed;

Just below light, unless he enters hyperspace or has some kind of organic warp system built internally.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2009 02:48 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

he's gone ftl more than once.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Sep 18th, 2009 04:32 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by -Pr-
he's gone ftl more than once.

Yess but most writers (Geoff Johns, Morisson, Mark Waid, Rucka and Duffie) have acknowledged that he is must be doing the previously aforementioned, i.e. biological warp drive or self access into hyper space to achieve this, he probably uses a method similar to the Lanterns when they are going F.T.L.. Its generally accepted D.C. rule that self propulsion beyond F.T.L. by traditional methods (I.e. Non exotic methods mentioned before) will send you into the Speed Force. He can go F.T.L, but he's using a biological exotic means of travel.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2009 12:55 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Yess but most writers (Geoff Johns, Morisson, Mark Waid, Rucka and Duffie) have acknowledged that he is must be doing the previously aforementioned, i.e. biological warp drive or self access into hyper space to achieve this, he probably uses a method similar to the Lanterns when they are going F.T.L.. Its generally accepted D.C. rule that self propulsion beyond F.T.L. by traditional methods (I.e. Non exotic methods mentioned before) will send you into the Speed Force. He can go F.T.L, but he's using a biological exotic means of travel.

they have?

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2009 01:06 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

they have?

Read any of Waid, Morissons, or Geoff Johns work on the Flash.

Also Mc Duffie and Brusiek have acknowledged this in interviews.

I think it maybe a D.C. physical rule.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 07:24 PM
-Pr-

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Read any of Waid, Morissons, or Geoff Johns work on the Flash.

Also Mc Duffie and Brusiek have acknowledged this in interviews.

I think it maybe a D.C. physical rule.

i've read waid and johns on the flash, and superman didn't exactly make many appearances. what applies to flash doesnt neccessarily apply to everyon else, too. mcduffie, granted. busiek, i haven't seen, but i'll take your word for it.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2009 12:46 AM
zaxpeed

About the Doomsday scenario,correct me if I'm wrong but even before he fought DD,Superman was already maxed out power wise as well as stamina and already using his power reserves and by the time he fought DD to the end it was nightfall so he had less time to recharge his body...from reading the novel the death of Superman by Roger Stern but i could wrong about some of the facts so please follow up on this comment..ty

Old Post May 7th, 2010 01:02 PM
zaxpeed is currently offline Click here to Send zaxpeed a Private Message Find more posts by zaxpeed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by zaxpeed
About the Doomsday scenario,correct me if I'm wrong but even before he fought DD,Superman was already maxed out power wise as well as stamina and already using his power reserves and by the time he fought DD to the end it was nightfall so he had less time to recharge his body...from reading the novel the death of Superman by Roger Stern but i could wrong about some of the facts so please follow up on this comment..ty

Could you elaborate a little, please?

Old Post May 7th, 2010 05:27 PM
Badabing
LiZod

they have?
I read somewhere that he produces tachyons or gravitons somehow.

Sig by Rao Kal El

http///www.raptorrules.com

Old Post May 8th, 2010 02:59 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

He has no limits. His power is maximum.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 8th, 2010 04:21 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
LiZod

Originally posted by Omega Vision
He has no limits. His power is maximum.
thumb up

Sig by Rao Kal El

http///www.raptorrules.com

Old Post May 8th, 2010 06:04 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Two important factors about his strength & endurance.

(1) Superman's greatest feats of strength have happened while he's been flying. This leads to the idea that he's using a different power source while performing such a feat. You'd think someone often described as a 'planet mover' would be virtually unmatched - but non-flying bricks like Darkseid (OK he can levitate), Mongul, Doomsday, Orion and Solomon Grundy have all matched - if not exceeded - his strength levels h2h on some occasions.

(2) His powers generate a microscopic layer over his skin that is used for a few purposes. He has great enough durability to tactically use his body as a shield - to help others and try to convince somebody to surrender - but a magic-blessed weapon can cut right through his skin-level aura like there's nothing there. How deep the cut depends on the writer. Wonder Woman's tiara and sword have maimed him; she probably could decapitate him if she was bloodlusted. Only other things that can do the same are connected to green kryptonite & red solar radiation.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 10th, 2010 10:01 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by roughrider
Two important factors about his strength & endurance.

(1) Superman's greatest feats of strength have happened while he's been flying. This leads to the idea that he's using a different power source while performing such a feat. You'd think someone often described as a 'planet mover' would be virtually unmatched - but non-flying bricks like Darkseid (OK he can levitate), Mongul, Doomsday, Orion and Solomon Grundy have all matched - if not exceeded - his strength levels h2h on some occasions.

(2) His powers generate a microscopic layer over his skin that is used for a few purposes. He has great enough durability to tactically use his body as a shield - to help others and try to convince somebody to surrender - but a magic-blessed weapon can cut right through his skin-level aura like there's nothing there. How deep the cut depends on the writer. Wonder Woman's tiara and sword have maimed him; she probably could decapitate him if she was bloodlusted. Only other things that can do the same are connected to green kryptonite & red solar radiation.

darkseid can fly.

superman also stated that even subconsciously, he always holds back.

and he doesn't have the layer/aura anymore.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 10:09 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

(please log in to view the image)

'Nuff said.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 11:00 PM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote