KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman power limits?

Superman power limits?
Started by: SuperDarryl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
No, the guy has limits and can't match up with the Hulk in terms of strength or the Sentry. Superman is still an equal to Marvel in strength.

when he cuts loose, he has potentially no limit.

he's above marvel, too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 19th, 2010 05:58 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by -Pr-
when he cuts loose, he has potentially no limit.

he's above marvel, too.
No, when he cuts loose he is just like any other hero who holds back most of the time. He has limits. How is he above Marvel?

Old Post May 19th, 2010 07:50 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

No, when he cuts loose he is just like any other hero who holds back most of the time. He has limits. How is he above Marvel?

higher feats.

and no, he isn't just like any hero. when he cuts loose his power boost is phenomenol. that's been shown more than once. he becomes far more powerful.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 19th, 2010 08:01 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

higher feats.

and no, he isn't just like any hero. when he cuts loose his power boost is phenomenol. that's been shown more than once. he becomes far more powerful.
Ok, far more powerful is just like Thor but just like Thor they both have limits. Hulk and the sentry don't.

Higher feats are all well and good but he has more appearances but when they clash they are written like strength equals. But for some reason since I was arguing about strength I thought this was only about strength forgetting to peek up again at the topic. I think Superman is more powerful than Marvel just not stronger.

Old Post May 19th, 2010 03:23 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by kgkg
Very few character can match Superman in the Strength category. Superman just becomes as stronger as the character he is fighting most of the time.

Some truth to that; he can push himself. However, unlike Hulk he cannot sustain it very long. What has been shown in storylines like The Death Of Superman & Avengers/JLA, is that he puts himself in danger of burnout if he pushes himself too hard for too long, and can empty his tank completely unless he gets a chance to recharge & heal.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 19th, 2010 07:42 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
thumb up

Where've you been you bastard?

Hiding from the vs. forum 'cause I'm like 3 weeks behind and don't want to accidentally read any spoilers, lol...

Old Post May 19th, 2010 08:34 PM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spire

Originally posted by roughrider
Some truth to that; he can push himself. However, unlike Hulk he cannot sustain it very long. What has been shown in storylines like The Death Of Superman & Avengers/JLA, is that he puts himself in danger of burnout if he pushes himself too hard for too long, and can empty his tank completely unless he gets a chance to recharge & heal.

Yeah... well... he was still powerful enough to have Herc's adamantine mace shatter on his body. shifty

Old Post May 19th, 2010 08:36 PM
Spire is currently offline Click here to Send Spire a Private Message Find more posts by Spire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Spire
Yeah... well... he was still powerful enough to have Herc's adamantine mace shatter on his body. shifty

I only noticed mjolnir didn't shatter. shifty

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 19th, 2010 09:21 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Ok, far more powerful is just like Thor but just like Thor they both have limits. Hulk and the sentry don't.

Higher feats are all well and good but he has more appearances but when they clash they are written like strength equals. But for some reason since I was arguing about strength I thought this was only about strength forgetting to peek up again at the topic. I think Superman is more powerful than Marvel just not stronger.

im talking about strength. power, as in how powerful his strength is.

Originally posted by roughrider

he can sustain it plenty, and has done on panel. dos was 15 years ago at least, and jla avengers isnt exactly the best example either. he's had massive amps since then.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 02:36 AM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Superman technically gets stronger every day, so his limits are incredibly high as is.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 02:54 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

im talking about strength. power, as in how powerful his strength is.

he can sustain it plenty, and has done on panel. dos was 15 years ago at least, and jla avengers isnt exactly the best example either. he's had massive amps since then.
Then I feel he's an equal to Marvel.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 04:09 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Then I feel he's an equal to Marvel.

and i don't, based on feats.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 05:24 AM
quanchi112
Disney

and i don't, based on feats.
Feats don't determine superiority imo. especially when they match up they are written as equals. Superman has more feats because he has more appearances and even one of his better ambiguous strength feats in fc was done with the aid of another Marvel. I know you disagree but comparisons have always been the ultimate determining factor as feats are usually only exclusive for one character. Only if you have a feat both characters attempted and one succeeded at do we have a measure of how these characters compare.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 05:39 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Feats don't determine superiority imo. especially when they match up they are written as equals. Superman has more feats because he has more appearances and even one of his better ambiguous strength feats in fc was done with the aid of another Marvel. I know you disagree but comparisons have always been the ultimate determining factor as feats are usually only exclusive for one character. Only if you have a feat both characters attempted and one succeeded at do we have a measure of how these characters compare.

when they fight, though, neither man is using his true, full on strength though, which is the difference imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 05:41 AM
quanchi112
Disney

when they fight, though, neither man is using his true, full on strength though, which is the difference imo.
You're right but with both holding back they are looked at as equals so it makes sense to me that both would still be equals when they both cut loose.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 06:18 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

You're right but with both holding back they are looked at as equals so it makes sense to me that both would still be equals when they both cut loose.

why?

why do you assume that both have the same capacity to amp?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 07:51 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus

It should be noted that an increase in Superman's power in direct correlation to his emotional state has been stated on panel before.

"His emotional state correlates to fluctuations in his solar storage. The more stress he's under, the more energy he retains from the Sun.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/...olarstorage.jpg

It does back up the idea of Superman's power being dynamic and different than simply being able to hold back less.

However given the continuous shifting and twisting of Superman's origin story over the last few years, I'm not sure if the old solar model is valid anymore.

Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus on May 23rd, 2010 at 08:29 AM

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 08:25 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

why?

why do you assume that both have the same capacity to amp?
Because they have always been written as equals and there's no reason to assume Superman greatly surpasses him when he hasn't in a direct confrontation.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 11:54 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Because they have always been written as equals and there's no reason to assume Superman greatly surpasses him when he hasn't in a direct confrontation.

they have been writtens as equal in a slug fest due to billy' magical abilities.

that still doesnt account for clark's insane ability to amp, which has been shown on panel.

they've never fought in anything resembling a proper "i want to kill you" fight, though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 24th, 2010 05:35 AM
quanchi112
Disney

they have been writtens as equal in a slug fest due to billy' magical abilities.

that still doesnt account for clark's insane ability to amp, which has been shown on panel.

they've never fought in anything resembling a proper "i want to kill you" fight, though.
Their strength has been written as equal without having anything to do with magic. His advantage over Superman in a fight is his magic but when it comes to strength itself they are equals.

I have seen Superman do so against WW and I can see Marvel matching it.

Old Post May 24th, 2010 02:43 PM