KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman power limits?

Superman power limits?
Started by: SuperDarryl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
Their strength has been written as equal without having anything to do with magic. His advantage over Superman in a fight is his magic but when it comes to strength itself they are equals.

I have seen Superman do so against WW and I can see Marvel matching it.

says who? a vague description during a fight?

superman wasn't fighting at his best. not nearly. he didnt have a dynamic amp either.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post May 24th, 2010 04:04 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by roughrider
Some truth to that; he can push himself. However, unlike Hulk he cannot sustain it very long. What has been shown in storylines like The Death Of Superman & Avengers/JLA, is that he puts himself in danger of burnout if he pushes himself too hard for too long, and can empty his tank completely unless he gets a chance to recharge & heal.

Two stories that have little to no influence over the way Superman has been portrayed for years... Post resurrection, Slowly but surely he's been very much portrayed in the same way as he was pre Crisis, I.e. the Top of the D.C. food chain, when it comes to brute strength.

Old Post May 24th, 2010 05:03 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Then I feel he's an equal to Marvel.

Playing devils advocate here, but I was normally say no ... But no ones ever seen Marvel really cut loose. And if K.C. is anything to go on, he can still easily handle a very amped Supes.

God I love that story smile

Old Post May 24th, 2010 05:08 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Unavoidable

Originally posted by -Pr-
says who? a vague description during a fight?

superman wasn't fighting at his best. not nearly. he didnt have a dynamic amp either.
He was fighting without holding back though. He hit WW as hard as he could. I can see Marvel doing the same with an all out punch.

KC Supes is more than regular Supes and he wasn't written to dominate Marvel even in kc. They are always written as equals in terms of strength.

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Playing devils advocate here, but I was normally say no ... But no ones ever seen Marvel really cut loose. And if K.C. is anything to go on, he can still easily handle a very amped Supes.

God I love that story smile
I think it stands to reason Marvel would be a real demon just like Supes with him cutting loose.

I didn't care much for kc personally.

Old Post May 24th, 2010 05:36 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

He was fighting without holding back though. He hit WW as hard as he could. I can see Marvel doing the same with an all out punch.

KC Supes is more than regular Supes and he wasn't written to dominate Marvel even in kc. They are always written as equals in terms of strength.

I think it stands to reason Marvel would be a real demon just like Supes with him cutting loose.

I didn't care much for kc personally.

he wasn't dynamically amped, though.

kc isn't even canon, and isn't usable.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post May 24th, 2010 05:43 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Unavoidable

he wasn't dynamically amped, though.

I am saying though we had another writer who used a more powerful superman still match up against a marvel.

Superman was pretty close to the sun, but like I said since both Superman and marvel have limits it makes sense to me anyways with both going all out their strength evens out.

This is outside of a sunamp or sundip though of course.

Old Post May 24th, 2010 07:38 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

I am saying though we had another writer who used a more powerful superman still match up against a marvel.

which doesn't really mean much, though, as it isn't canon.

Old Post May 25th, 2010 06:54 AM
quanchi112
Unavoidable

which doesn't really mean much, though, as it isn't canon.
But kc is canon and he is superior to superman. The point is you can't find a showing where superman is just better than marvel in direct comparison. Superman has more showings therefore he has superior feats is all.

Old Post May 25th, 2010 07:30 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

^ Earth 22 Superman =/= KC Superman. They're just very similar.

KC is an alternate timeline while Earth 22 is an alternate Universe entirely.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 25th, 2010 08:38 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Unavoidable

Originally posted by Omega Vision

When was he supposed to be different from kc? When was this addressed?

Old Post May 26th, 2010 01:23 AM
-Pr-

But kc is canon and he is superior to superman. The point is you can't find a showing where superman is just better than marvel in direct comparison. Superman has more showings therefore he has superior feats is all.

Originally posted by Omega Vision

Old Post May 26th, 2010 02:08 AM
quanchi112
Unavoidable

Was this explained in jsa?

Old Post May 26th, 2010 02:32 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

You can't really distinguish between Captain Marvel & Superman when they fight - every match is a decades long in-joke involving their tangled legal history from the 1940's, when Marvel's Fawcett Publishing was sued and shut down by DC Comics. They have opposite power sources, and one occasionally gets the better of the other, but writers still have fun with the idea they are the same guy; dead even. roll eyes (sarcastic)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 26th, 2010 04:58 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

This is what annoys me about this forums - its so Orientated towards the debating part, that you can't speculate, theories or even discuss comics, without someone ramming a KMC factor down you're throat. In some cases its almost as if KMC acts as some kind of meta-paradigm for the story lines.
The truth is Mark Waid has greater authority for the normative portrayal of Superman, than any Forum rule perspective. So when it comes to speculating about characters power levels, as in the case of this thread, I'm gonna be more influenced by a respected writers, than what the forum requires.
Speculating, with the forum rules seems contradictory, any way. I was under the impression that the Forum requires members to consider characters in their most powerful form ?, so other portrayals are meaningless ?

Old Post May 27th, 2010 02:18 PM
-Pr-

This is what annoys me about this forums - its so Orientated towards the debating part, that you can't speculate, theories or even discuss comics, without someone ramming a KMC factor down you're throat. In some cases its almost as if KMC acts as some kind of meta-paradigm for the story lines.
The truth is Mark Waid has greater authority for the normative portrayal of Superman, than any Forum rule perspective. So when it comes to speculating about characters power levels, as in the case of this thread, I'm gonna be more influenced by a respected writers, than what the forum requires.
Speculating, with the forum rules seems contradictory, any way. I was under the impression that the Forum requires members to consider characters in their most powerful form ?, so other portrayals are meaningless ?

except:

We're taking about normal, standard Superman here. Not Earth 2 Superman or Kingdom Come Superman. We have to go by what standard Superman has done, or otherwise there's no point to the argument.

i would have picked a better example than Mark Waid. Seriously.

And no, it doesn't. The average portrayal is what comes first, not the most powerful.

Old Post May 28th, 2010 02:37 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

except:

We're taking about normal, standard Superman here. Not Earth 2 Superman or Kingdom Come Superman. We have to go by what standard Superman has done, or otherwise there's no point to the argument.

1.)Your first post was clearly related to the debating forums - hence youre the useage of the term "usable" as in "kc isn't even canon, and isn't usable" ... which seems quite arbitrary unless you mean it in a Kmc debating forum sense?

2.)No ... The title of the thread doesn't specify - I thought it refers to the general concept/ Abstract object spanning all realities and genres - Not earth One

i would have picked a better example than Mark Waid. Seriously./B]

Except ...he's written two of the most highly regraded Superman stories of all time roll eyes (sarcastic)

[B]And no, it doesn't. The average portrayal is what comes first, not the most powerful.

I don't even care about this - don't use the debating forums, and Have no intention of doing so, have never read the rules, and and never will do.

Old Post May 28th, 2010 03:06 PM
-Pr-

1.)Your first post was clearly related to the debating forums - hence youre the useage of the term "usable" as in "kc isn't even canon, and isn't usable" ... which seems quite arbitrary unless you mean it in a Kmc debating forum sense?

2.)No ... The title of the thread doesn't specify - I thought it refers to the general concept/ Abstract object spanning all realities and genres - Not earth One

Except ...he's written two of the most highly regraded Superman stories of all time roll eyes (sarcastic)

I don't even care about this - don't use the debating forums, and Have no intention of doing so, have never read the rules, and and never will do.

there are different incarnations. if you want to argue that kc superman and kc captain marvel are equals, then fine. if you want to argue that earth 1 supes and earth 1 captain marvel are equals, then fine.

mixing and matching doesn't really serve any purpose, though.

"usable" as in the context of this thread, which is to an extent a debate thread when viewed in the context of mine and quan's interaction.

he's also the guy that dc wouldn't let touch superman with a ten foot pole for more than a few years. hell, he still gets rough treatment over it.

then why bring it up?

Last edited by -Pr- on May 28th, 2010 at 03:15 PM

Old Post May 28th, 2010 03:12 PM
Exzalian

Cool I know I'm legit 12 years late

I know I'm 12 years late and wolverine8888 has learned to text right but wolverine healed himself completely from a single drop of blood so I agree that he can heal himself from bones.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2016 09:10 AM
Exzalian is currently offline Click here to Send Exzalian a Private Message Find more posts by Exzalian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672
MAY 2000-DEC 2017

Re: Superman power limits?

Originally posted by SuperDarryl
Superman power limits?

Iiiiimagination...
(please log in to view the image)

That's not a bat. This...is a bat.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2016 09:55 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
@#$%

Re: Re: Superman power limits?

Originally posted by riv6672
Iiiiimagination...
(please log in to view the image)

Exactly.

Superman has the power of plot. Wimps like Goku will never compare.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2016 10:14 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote