KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » Haute Tension/High Tension

Haute Tension/High Tension
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Anyone else wish to play Moderator? Jesus. Just report the thread.

wuss the marra?!

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jun 10th, 2005 08:01 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

This film is trash.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 10:27 AM
chilled monkey is currently offline Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

At least explain why.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 12:44 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BREN

this film is trash??? i saw it last night,i loved it i own it in english language and french both uncut awesome movie......The Region 2 UK release from Optimum is fully uncut.,if u live in the usa its just opened in theatres in 2 versions,r and nc17 check out the latter if u can smile

Attachment: hightension_bigfinal.jpg
This has been downloaded 79 time(s).

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 04:39 PM
BREN is currently offline Click here to Send BREN a Private Message Find more posts by BREN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BREN

by the way guys i didnt mention this as i forgot when i posted the other part,but the story here (i think anyway and the mrs. agrees) is lifted from the first half of a dean koontz book called intensity,its exactly the same the ending to the movie is different and the book has more of a cat n mouse game goin between heroine and mad bastard,lol,but if u read the book everything is more or less the same as the first half of the book even the gas station part of the movie smile

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 04:53 PM
BREN is currently offline Click here to Send BREN a Private Message Find more posts by BREN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

is this movie gory?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 07:08 PM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

Originally posted by Morning_Glory
is this movie gory?

Highly.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 08:09 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

MildPossession: Since you asked

SPOILERS:

This movie is yet another 'insane lesbian' cliche. If it had a lesbian heroine, it would have been great, but no, they had to do the cheap thing.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 10:01 PM
chilled monkey is currently offline Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

How many mainstream movies feature lesbians in a leading role, much less a Horror? There's a pretty thick line between insanity and detrmination.

I'll be seeing it in about an hour, and I'll be sure to weigh in.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 10:08 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
How many mainstream movies feature lesbians in a leading role, much less a Horror? There's a pretty thick line between insanity and detrmination.

I'll be seeing it in about an hour, and I'll be sure to weigh in.

That's my point. This movie could have helped change that, but it spat on it.

Take my advice. Don't waste your money.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 10:42 PM
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

who cares if it is a lesbian in a lead role..does it really matter...

and the dubbing wasnt as bad as the critics or anyone else was saying

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 01:25 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I'm just going to share my review...

Love means you never have to say "does that slit throat hurt?" In the American cinema version of
"Haute Tension (High Tension)", best friends Marie and Alex trek to one of their parent's vacation homes in France. Once night falls on the farmhome, their radical sabbatical turns maniacal. One by one, the bodies begin to drop. But, is the random culprit who were led to believe the guilty one, or are someone elses alterior motives coming to fruition?

The French just have a way with the red, and we American gorehounds eat it up. "Haute Tension" delivered some of the most authentic slicing and dicing the screen has seen in years. Brutal and unrelenting, Director Alexandre Aja served up elements of the old fashioned American slasher, with a side of Italian gore, and a sprig of French sexuality, which made for quite a tasty dish. Aja also took a very clever approach to writing this film, making it a narrative recollection piece without the standard cut-in's and flashbacks. Instead, treating us to a horrific collection of events, and a story of extreme survival; ultimately, from the most unlikely of characters.

The term is somewhat overused, but "High Tension" was very atmospheric. The movie wasn't very thick, but very straight forward with a basic plot, relying on its stylish shooting, and adrenaline pumping pace. Tension did indeed run high, and I found the array of predicaments very plausible, even for a slasher film. The score lent itself very fittingly to various scenes, devoid of sharp, jumpy noises. Sometimes, the silence is more deafening.

Of course, the film wasn't perfect. The ending seemed disappointing, having been overdone as of late in similar films, feeling that it didn't do the first 90 minutes justice. However, it lent to an underlying storyline that most won't appreciate, derived from the oddest matter; love, albeit obessive, love nonetheless. I took issue with the English overdubs in the conversations between Alex and Marie. The urbanization of Alex's character wasn't necessary, and didn't quite flow with the film. Her mother, with a French accent, as well as the rest of her family were presented as having just moved to France. Thankfully, these weren't a distraction.

Overall, "High Tension" was one of the more effective, and original Horror movies to make its way through the States in many years. The twisted plot, although having been explored in another indie smash of 2004, still managed to freak my pants off in the end. Cécile De France's portrayal of mad love personified was very complimentary to put it lightly, and I'd love to see more of her. I have high hopes that people will embrace this, wish it were a U.S. product, and also appreciate the morbid, yet admirable lengths that Marie's character goes to for this little thing called love.

"High Tension" gets high marks, 8.0/10 from moi. Au revoir!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 02:11 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by chilled monkey
That's my point. This movie could have helped change that, but it spat on it.

Take my advice. Don't waste your money.

Well, if this were a Hollywood movie, you'd have a point. This is an indepdent French film, which in NO WAY had an agenda to smear lesbianism, or portray them as psychos. How many other films can you name that have done the same? Hollywood, infact, doesn't really touch in this or homosexuality.

That's indie territory. To be perfectly honest, if ANY country is in touch with how sexuality should be played out in cinema, it's the French.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 02:13 AM
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

ok cool! I'll go see it... you must have liked it A LOT --you came home and made a siggy out of it...

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 05:38 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I do that alot, but yeah, gotta spread the werd.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 05:47 AM
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

ok...

Im watching it right now... i downloaded it-- I have to read the subtitles..but thats ok...

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 05:49 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Ya know..don't admit that you're pirating a movie I just paid money to go see. That's my biggest pet peeve in the world.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 06:52 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

This was a pretty sweet movie, I have to say.

I just got back from seeing it and it delivered on my expectations, it was far and away the best slasher film I've seen in a long time, and that's saying a lot, seeing as it's not even a full blow slasher film.

Seeing as C-Dic already summerized the movie and gave one of his reliably good reviews, I'll just say what I liked and disliked about the movie.

On the plus side -

It was probably the goriest and most violent film I've seen in theaters, I can't believe it got an R rating, I've seen Unrated films that aren't as violent as this. Not only is there gore, but the gore is well done, everything looks eerilly real.

It had a very cool style, kinda grainy but still looked good.

Some genuinely creepy moments, such as the doorbell ringing in the middle of the night.

It had a really awesome killer...kinda.

Negatives-

Plot holes and logical impossibilities. Some more things needed to be explained for the ending of the movie to work. Without giving details, they're pretty obvious if you've seen this movie.

The twist ending was very VERY cliched. I won't say more on this, but the movie would have been better without a generic, predictable twist. I'll tell you now, the twist ending in this movie is pretty much the default twist ending for a film.

Slow beginning. It took a while for the movie to get started.

Questionable dubbing. Sometimes the movie was dubbed, sometimes it was subtitled. It was kinda wierd.

All in all it was a very very solid movie, and the positives far outweigh the negatives. Definately a genre classic and a movie that warrants multiple viewings.

Can't wait for the unrated DVD, which is sure to have even more gore that was cut out to get an R rating.

Last edited by BackFire on Jun 12th, 2005 at 09:08 AM

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 09:05 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by Morning_Glory
who cares if it is a lesbian in a lead role..does it really matter...

I care. And it matters very much.

Cinemaddiction: I can't believe what I'm hearing here. This movie sticks firmly to the cliche I mentioned in my last post, instead of doing something good, and you're telling me that it's in touch with how sexuality should be portrayed?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 09:46 AM
chilled monkey

Oh and

"This is an indepdent French film, which in NO WAY had an agenda to smear lesbianism, or portray them as psychos."

Oh really. It features a lesbian who turns out to psychotic, and it implies a connection between that and her sexuality. What do you call that.

That is why his film is trash.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 10:00 AM