KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel
Started by: ZoSo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Rover

Jaster Mereel

Come discuss.... mad smokin'

Old Post May 8th, 2004 06:08 PM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
QX100
Shadowtrooper

He was the Leader of the Mandalorians and was killed.

Old Post May 8th, 2004 10:42 PM
Click here to Send QX100 a Private Message Find more posts by QX100 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

huh?????what exactly are we supposed to discuss about him?....

Old Post May 9th, 2004 09:32 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zachara
Lady Knight

Well....

This is actually something that has been argued upon and argued upon often.
In some cases, as QX100 said, Jaster Mereel is believed to be the Leader of the Mandalorians and was killed. Some sources say that Jaster Mereel adopted Jango Fett and raised him after his parents were killed when he was just a boy. When Jaster died, Jango Fett was appointed leader of the Mandalorian army. Jango Fett was leader until he led the Mandalorians into a battle that would make them extinct. And then went to Kamino... and everybody whos anyone on this forum know what happends next.

But, in other cases..... Let's just say alot of Boba Fett lovers get really mad at Lucas because of this.

Jaster Mereel was previously believed to be Boba Fett's original name. NOT Jango Fett's son and NOT a Mandalorian Leader. New sources and Lucas himself say otherwise, but I even have the Tales of the Bounty Hunter book that reveals in 1996 that Boba Fett was indeed Jaster Mereel at one point. And I know that's not the only book that confirms this.

omg, how do I comment on this without offending some people.
I know there's going to someone who shouts "The books aren't the real stories. Only the movies are the real story." In which I would have to reply that in 1999 Lucasfilm and Bantam Spectacular books singed a contract basically saying (I don't want to recopy the contract 1. I don't think it's legal to do so, 2. Someone will bite me anyway even if post it and 3. I can't post a link either cause I just joined and I can't post links until I've posted a certain # of posts, I think) that ALL Bantam Spect. books are an official extension of the original Star Wars Trilogy. This contract says its as if all the books were written by George Lucas himself.

So.... I don't know. Technically, everything in law says that Lucas can do whatever the heck he wants since he invented Star Wars in the first place. But just think of how alot of authors must feel. It's like they were slapped in the face and Lucas through the respect for them merrily out the window.

"To Yoda's English class, welcome you, do I. Put subject before verb, fail this class will you." *pokes with small cane* "Listening to me , you are not. Unwise of you, that is. For a detention with Lady Knight Zachara, will you earn. And survive that, you might not."

Old Post Nov 26th, 2004 02:30 AM
Click here to Send Zachara a Private Message Find more posts by Zachara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Jaster is not Boba, thats a fact

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Nov 26th, 2004 04:07 AM
Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zachara
Lady Knight

Where is the proof that supports this fact? I would like to at least hear of it, plz.

"To Yoda's English class, welcome you, do I. Put subject before verb, fail this class will you." *pokes with small cane* "Listening to me , you are not. Unwise of you, that is. For a detention with Lady Knight Zachara, will you earn. And survive that, you might not."

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 10:46 PM
Click here to Send Zachara a Private Message Find more posts by Zachara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaster Mereel
That one boarder sith guy

The supporting facts are found in the picture aided Darkhorse book "Jango Fett: Open Seasons" or something along thoose lines, where Jaster took in Jango and trains him, aswell as becoming a mentor to Jango.

So if Jaster was Jango's mentor, there is no possible way, Boba, Jango's un-altered clone, is Jaster. smile

Old Post Dec 9th, 2004 02:41 AM
Click here to Send Jaster Mereel a Private Message Find more posts by Jaster Mereel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Zachara
So.... I don't know. Technically, everything in law says that Lucas can do whatever the heck he wants since he invented Star Wars in the first place. But just think of how alot of authors must feel. It's like they were slapped in the face and Lucas through the respect for them merrily out the window.

No, sorry, that's not fair- every EU writer knows that he is writing outside of GL's storyline and that future film developments might render what they write irrelevant. That is part of the deal from the start; it is the very reason EU is not canon as GL does not want to be limited by what others have written.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 9th, 2004 03:10 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zachara
Lady Knight

quote:
No, sorry, that's not fair- every EU writer knows that he is writing outside of GL's storyline and that future film developments might render what they write irrelevant. That is part of the deal from the start; it is the very reason EU is not canon as GL does not want to be limited by what others have written.

I guess so, but still. GL was the one who gave them rights to write their stories. It's like the teacher changing the original 95% to a 50% he/she gave you on a exam a couple of years after you wrote it.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2004 04:27 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Not if you were told in advance that is how it would be. As I say, the EU writers always knew they were writing in an alternative continuity.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 11th, 2004 10:56 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Zachara is quite right. In 'Tales of the Bounty Hunters' Jaster Mereel is indeed Boba Fett's real name. He was a Journeyman Protector ion the planet Concord Dawn who was exciled after he killed a corrupt Protector.

And the books, comics etc were indeed 'canon' before Lucas said 'stuff it, I can't be bothered with this'.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 09:04 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

The whole switch from Jaster Mereel being Boba to Jango's mentor was so that the story would fit within the confines of the story that came to be set up in the Prequel Trilogy.

So, Jaster being mentioned at the beginning of "The Last One Standing" could be seen as a nod to how Boba's "father" became a Mandalorian, and in turn, the event's that led to his creation. geek
That's my explanation, at least.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 11:44 PM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote