KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » PLAYERS- CURRENT AND POTENTIAL- OF USH'S GAME, PLEASE READ! The end.. and the future

PLAYERS- CURRENT AND POTENTIAL- OF USH'S GAME, PLEASE READ! The end.. and the future
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

PLAYERS- CURRENT AND POTENTIAL- OF USH'S GAME, PLEASE READ! The end.. and the future

Well, though it is lumbering rather like a vast sloth than skipping like a nimble gazelle right now, my Star Wars game is finally coming to a close- the finale will start shortly. Three years work, all done with... (sighs).

But never mind that! We can look to the future. If people are interested, there is always more to be done in what is, when it comes down to it, my favourite franchise.

The current game is five years old in conception. It was written just after The Phantom Menace as part of the new Star Wars wave sweeping the world at that time. It is very much a Phantom Menace mood game- over the course of it you have seen parts of the crumbling Republic, Jedi turned bad (a cliche, but c'mon, this is STAR WARS, that is part of the deal...), great sabre fights, background trickery and deception, and the continuous background presence of the supposedly extinct Sith.

My brother and try and make a great effort to try and make the mood and style of things suit the source. In that respect, we may have done rather TOO well. We have an elegant, traditional Dark Jedi from an equally traditional world, who is a nobleman of his family, and salutes his opponents before fighting in a classic, one-handed style, akin to fencing. Had my brother known of Count Dooku before inventing Kuylen, things may have been different. For a start, Kuylen would have one of those curved-hilt sabres...

We had an area of space called the Confederacy trying to declare independance from the Republic. This is almost plagiarism from GL! Oddly, though, that gives us opportunities. For the older players who remember Damagran, a return may be in order- once the Confederacy of Independant Systems comes together. Damagran would be a powerful ally for Dooku.

We had a tooled up bounty hunter... but frankly that was all based from Boba Fett anyway so Jango hardly copied that. BUT, my brother was VERY gratified that Balek's arm shield, specifically designed to be able to defend against Jedi and Dark Siders, was copied and used by Durge in the Clone Wars cartoon. He will be expecting royalties soon...

In any case. The season of the Phantom Menace is long gone... we need to look forwards. There is a HUGE campaign that is ready tom go- though right now the Dark Side part of it is very fuzzy. The Campaign tells the story of between now and the start of the Clone Wars (and yes, there is a Clone Wars campaign as well, for some distant future...). This is the ten year gap between TPM and AOTC. There are notable differences between the current game and this new one.

1. Less linked stories. In the current game, the episodes come together in one narrative, with very little time seperating them. In the new one, each episode will be its own mini-story, with months or even years between each one. But, there will be a slowly building continuous plotline in the background of it all.

2. More split. Many of the stories will explore multiple things at once- the groups, especially the Jedi, will most likely be split up.

3. No continuous vendetta! This one may disappoint people... but on the whole, Light Side and Dark Side will be SEPERATED. You won't meet. It is simply silly to have you guys continually meeting each other once every few months, shaking your fists at each other, and going home. You wil be following your own agendas in your own stories.

There are some compensations. For example, neither side will be slowed down by the other any more. And you never know... things you do might just affect each other, and you may just meet again one day...

4. More to do with the films. The Phantom Menace was a very particular story; unless I put you guys on Naboo or Tatooine then 'interacting' with it was hard. AOTC told of Galactic events, as Star Wars really rather should! Hence, opportunities to mix film and game are more available.

5. Grander scale of character development. Obviously, I cannot give away what happens in the rest of the current story. But as part of that, and other things, in a story that takes place over years rather than weeks, there will be much more scope in the next game to developing your characters. I do not mean becoming more powerful- that will be handled the same as normal- but in DEVELOPING. Players may wish to try and become Masters. Dark Siders have power of their own to achieve. Each of you will have opportunities to become more than you currently are.

-----

Other than that, there is one other serious change to make- which I would like to hear more opinions on- it got a cautious 'yay' before.

As some of you know, system-based RPs in the main RP area are becoming very popular- numbers and dice rolls and skills and powers are all the rage! We have Matrix to thank for this.

Now, technically, I can do this with Star Wars too. In fact, it is very easy. It uses the same system as the Matrix, and myself and my brother did the Star Wars conversion FIRST- four years before we did the Matrix. If people are so willing, I can convert this on-line game to the full rules, with templates and powers and skills all defined just as they are in the Matrix.

Opinions?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 30th, 2005 at 12:46 PM

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 01:01 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

Interesting! It certainly would give peoples characters a more clear definition of what they can/cant do within the game. It would also make it clearer as to what skills/powers can be worked towards when developing their characters... yes

I'm up for it! thumb up big grin

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 02:26 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

definitely!...i'm all for it.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 05:20 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

I'm all for a new Campaign, but I don't know about the dice rolling and such. You get a lot of that with the Matrix game. I like the Star Wars RPG because it is not that way!

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 07:33 PM
Bespin Bart is currently offline Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Likewise. I would very much like for the Star Wars RPG to stay the same.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 07:42 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oooh, I am glad I started this early, this could get complex...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:01 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

well....a guess a vote will have to settle this

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:05 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I don't think I need to poll it; I can just see and discuss people's opinions.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 20th, 2004 at 08:16 PM

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:09 PM
REXXXX
Networking

I mean, the Matrix RPG is the one that's complicated. This is more simplistic, for the players anyway.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:11 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It all has its ups and downs. Obvious SW fighting is nowhere near as in-deoth as Matrix fighting; the Force powers are the main complication. Blade Tricks are like Gun Tricks; dead simple.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:16 PM
Dexx
wingless

neh..why....a dice system is still implemented in this one. only that's it's hidden

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:17 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, I am kinda stuck on the duelling; the off-line system for that would be... tricky to convert.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:20 PM
REXXXX
Networking

I know it is still there, Dexx, but I'd rather not have Ush saying I rolled a +2 when attacking Fire, or that I got hit for 5 damage. It has a different feel to it when that is hidden.

Though, I'm not sure we could do the Matrix RPG any other way, so that's all fine and dandy there. wink

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:32 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Matrix absolutely would not work any other way, no. The point of that game has ALWAYS got to be the fights and so they have to be in detail.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:35 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

I thought duelling was relatively simple. As I understand it the player states their move. A role is made taking into account skill adjustments for blade proficiency, agility, ect. Then another role is made by the defender. Then after any bonus' are added the highest score wins the round and that player wins the point. First to five with two clear points wins the duel. If thats right does it need to be changed?

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:39 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Because the converted system involves people declaring their moves in secret. Right now much comes down to simply making an appropriate reply to the attacker, which people like Fire do not like.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 20th, 2004 at 09:09 PM

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:50 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

Fair enough!
I think it would help, especially for folk like me who dont play the Matrix, if you posted an example of each highlighting the pro and cons that way it would be easier to make an informed decision.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 09:00 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Though my mind will not change, either way... stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 09:08 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

I think we can beat you into agreement... stick out tongue

I dont mind either way I like the existing way but I'm always open to suggestions! big grin

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 09:13 PM
General Zink
Bane

Existing way I deem better.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 09:18 PM
General Zink is currently offline Click here to Send General Zink a Private Message Find more posts by General Zink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote