KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » PLAYERS- CURRENT AND POTENTIAL- OF USH'S GAME, PLEASE READ! The end.. and the future

PLAYERS- CURRENT AND POTENTIAL- OF USH'S GAME, PLEASE READ! The end.. and the future
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dexx
wingless

definitely

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 12:37 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I am trying to judge how many rules to put in.

Basically, because you can set your stats as in Matrix, most aliens can use the standard templates- a Zabrak or Twi'lek is, when you come down to it, much the same as a Human.

The Exotic Alien rules introduce extra templates for those species that are CONSIDERABLY different from a Human- Yoda's species, Wookies, Dugs, Geonosians, Chion...

The templates lose out a bit in some areas but get special Alien powers, which basically define in what way the character is Alien (e.g. smarter, stronger, faster, naturally armoured, force sensitive, immune to mind tricks etc.)

So I wanted to gauge if that was a level of complexity worth including.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 03:30 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

don't think so....do we have any exotic species?..besides BB?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 03:42 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Nope.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 03:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I think other ppl might be interested once they see what it actualy envolves

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 05:07 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, here is a basic appraisal of how the system works. Incidentally, if you do not know the Matrix rules, do not worry, I will post full rules in here also. Also note I tend to use 'Jedi' as a collective term for any character that can use the Force.

The basics are as Matrix. Your most important skills are your combat skills- they set your ease of hitting others, and how hard it is to hit you. You can take 25 damage before being wounded, 30 before being double wounded, and 35 before you start making death checks and are at risk of dying.

The game uses the same Round (and turn) and exertion/frame system as the Matrix game. Each move costs exertion/frames, which dictates how long it takes you to do things.

The principle remains the same. You are considerably more dangerous than most enemies you meet. Most enemies you meet are called 'mooks' Mooks are the endless ranks of stormtroopers, bounty hunters, gang members and battle droids you meet. You cut them down in very large numbers. More dangerous are so called 'named' characters (so called because anyone who is ever dangerous at all in action films has a name. The five hundred or so mooks who die... no-one cares who THEY are...). A named character would obviously be a powerful Dark Sider like Kuylen, but also the very rare normal people who are just EXTREMELY good- like Balek in my game, Jango, Boba, Han and Lando from the films. These people are considered to be one amongst billions or more, to be so talented as to be ratable in comparison to a Jedi. Most Bounty Hunters are just standard mooks.

An addition to that principle is Jedi/Dark Siders. All you force using guys ALWAYS have an edge over everyone else- named or otherwise. An equivalently experienced Jedi is always more dangerous than an equivalently experienced Named Bounty Hunter. Jango Fett was considered to be the finest bounty hunter in the Galaxy. This won him a retreating draw against Obi-Wan, but against possibly the finest Jedi swordsman- Windu- he was useless. In general, then, you all play VERY powerful people- more powerful than your Matrix characters. This has to have common sense applied though- a non-combat Jedi template, like an Acolyte, is still going to be taken down by a combat-focussed non-Jedi, like a Bounty Hunter.

The stats are different from Matrix. You have two main sections- physical and mental. The Physical attributes are Strength, Agiity, Dexterity and Speed. The first three, as well as being useful in their own right, are vital components of lightsabre duelling. Speed sets how much you can do at one time, just as in Matrix. The Mental Attributes are Perception, Intelligence, Willpower and Charisma. A lot of your work will involve using the mental skills- Jedi need to do their day to day jobs and Dark Siders cannot kill everything they meet. Force-based characters also have a Force stat. Non-Force characters are considered to have a loose tie to the Force instead, and get a Fortune rating, like in the Matrix. Jedi never get Fortune- they control their own destinies with their command of the Force instead.

There are several combat skills:

Lightsabre (obviously)
Combat (any close combat fighting that is not with a sabre)
Guns
Heavy Weapons

You also get powers/tricks, just as in Matrix but not as in-depth. The various tricks available are:

Force Powers (obviously). They are split into several 'trees'- Kinetic (derived from Push/Pull), Speed, Jump, Cosmic, Living, Light Side and Dark Side. Note that my brother and I do not believe in distinct Dark Side/Light Side powers as such- anyone can use Grip, for example. The LS/DS powers are powers that the other side simply WILL not, not CAN not use. For example, many of the Dark Sie 'only' powers involve unleashing your emotions. A Jedi can do that if he wants but he has decades of training telling him not to.

Blade Tricks: Gun Tricks from the Matrix game, but for the lightsabre. It is in this area that Swordsmen/Freelancers/Blackguards/Corsairs tend to clear up

Combat Tricks: Marital arts moves- but ten times more simple than the Matrix.

Gun Tricks: As in the Matrix game, fancy moves with your guns.

Master Tricks: Special powers reserved for Masters

Alien Powers: The exotic aliens get special powers of their own

Devices: The only non-Jedi one there is, these are the cool bits of technology that Bounty Hunters like to use.

----

All of which may make this seem more complex than the Matrix... but trust me, it is not. Becausre the Mateix has only three templates, and then you must spend a while working out your download set-up. Star Wars is much simpler. As you know, it has closer to 20 templates, which have done most of the work for you. Creating an SW character is this simple:

1. Pick a template
2. Add your stats and skills
3. Pick your powers and Tricks

Done. It should take about ten minutes all told.

There, that was just an overview for you...

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 24th, 2004 at 08:45 PM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 05:17 PM
Fire

sounds good

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 05:44 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

sounds great

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 08:32 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

sounds good

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 10:09 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Hmm...I'm wavering... erm

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 02:28 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

Me too. I liked it better when it was nice and simple. No need to count ur attack and life and all that other mumbo jumbo. But oh well.

What is this I don't even

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 11:22 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

I like! I'd definitely like to try it!

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 11:30 AM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Kosta
Me too. I liked it better when it was nice and simple. No need to count ur attack and life and all that other mumbo jumbo. But oh well.

'Me too'? Surely if Rex is wavering he is wavering TOWARDS it, seeing as before he as opposed.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 12:53 PM
rusky
Waiting for da snow

go for it ush

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 01:19 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

Yup go for it Ush. If it doesnt work it'll not spoil anything to step back to the old system.
Maybe you should do a poll to get a nice clear picture of nay and yay!

Old Post Feb 26th, 2004 09:12 AM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

yea give it a go smile

Old Post Feb 26th, 2004 02:15 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, I shall trot this out soon enough.

Incidentally, some news for the Dark Side players. My brother is writing a special story JUST for you on-line guys, that was never played here at home. This is being done as the Dark Side players here have been on a long leave of absence and as it pans out are not re-joining until the rough equivalent of episode VII (though as I say, the episode numbering will be reset, or cease). As the Dark Siders here on-line are more continuous, Brith is writing a Dark Side 'Episode VI' to bridge the gap for you guys!

BtVS

Old Post Feb 27th, 2004 07:48 PM
Dexx
wingless

great happy

Old Post Feb 27th, 2004 08:12 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

Excellent I'll look forward to it!

Old Post Feb 27th, 2004 09:10 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
As the Dark Siders here on-line are more continuous...

Thats because we want to rule the universe! evil face

Old Post Feb 28th, 2004 10:40 AM