KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Jean Grey Vs. Emma Frost

Jean Grey Vs. Emma Frost
Started by: JeanGreyDP

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FieryBalrog
child of the sun

quote: (post)
Originally posted by munkiesarus

Jean Grey does not have the depth of this personality. So she becomes Dark Phoenix once in a while. Boo hoo. Only then does she go crazy. Otherwise, she's this nice, warm person whom the students can go to for help. Emma has better things to do.

you should read more comics before you make such definitive statements about characters personalities. whistle

This is like me saying Emma is snotty & self centered... its just a surface reading.

your favorite character Emma has a better grasp on Jean's character than you do big grin She describes Jean as a "bundle of violent emotions". Which is somewhere near the truth, in the comics.

Have you ever wondered why the Jean from the comics, the movies and the cartoons (like Evolution)- why are they all so different, but all of them are partly true to the comics? How can you have so much trouble adapting a supposedly personality-less character?

For example, shes supposed to be a great mothering figure (which she can be), but she was distinctly cold to her "daughter" Rachel for a long time. She is supposed to be nice and gentle, but when shes threatened, she gets pretty fierce, even excessively violent, such as when Emma threatens her marriage; or when the kids at the school are under attack; or when Sabretooth was at the mansion. She has class and dignity on top of it. Shes supposed to be Charles's lapdog, but unlike Scott, she breaks with him often (over Sabretooth, over Scott's death by Apocalypse, over Fantomex) and shes independent in her own right.

Note that all of this is without any reference to the supposedly one interesting thing about her character, the Phoenix (which is pretty interesting, but leaving it aside...). She was angrily protective when the X-men first went to fight the Shi'ar and quite violent when she fought Firelord....

Her power and personality are distinctly feminine and forceful which I admire... shes not flashy, or gimmicky, but she has class and dignity...

dammit its hard to put it into words wink

"Blood and flame and sacrifice..."

Last edited by FieryBalrog on Jul 7th, 2005 at 09:46 PM

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 09:40 PM
FieryBalrog is currently offline Click here to Send FieryBalrog a Private Message Find more posts by FieryBalrog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cosmic Flame

Thanks, Fiery. You saved me from writing thesis length response. All that you said is true.

The Phoenix burns through lies, you know?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 10:07 PM
Cosmic Flame is currently offline Click here to Send Cosmic Flame a Private Message Find more posts by Cosmic Flame Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

and for once scott aint in the middle... big grin

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 10:14 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
blaise

yupppppppppppsmile nicely put fiery

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 10:57 PM
blaise is currently offline Click here to Send blaise a Private Message Find more posts by blaise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix_Avatar9
Spark of Creation

Yay Fiery!!! Happy Dance

Old Post Jul 8th, 2005 02:11 AM
Phoenix_Avatar9 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix_Avatar9 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix_Avatar9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
munkiesarus
swimming upstream

Originally posted by FieryBalrog
you should read more comics before you make such definitive statements about characters personalities. whistle

This is like me saying Emma is snotty & self centered... its just a surface reading.

your favorite character Emma has a better grasp on Jean's character than you do big grin She describes Jean as a "bundle of violent emotions". Which is somewhere near the truth, in the comics.

Have you ever wondered why the Jean from the comics, the movies and the cartoons (like Evolution)- why are they all so different, but all of them are partly true to the comics? How can you have so much trouble adapting a supposedly personality-less character?

For example, shes supposed to be a great mothering figure (which she can be), but she was distinctly cold to her "daughter" Rachel for a long time. She is supposed to be nice and gentle, but when shes threatened, she gets pretty fierce, even excessively violent, such as when Emma threatens her marriage; or when the kids at the school are under attack; or when Sabretooth was at the mansion. She has class and dignity on top of it. Shes supposed to be Charles's lapdog, but unlike Scott, she breaks with him often (over Sabretooth, over Scott's death by Apocalypse, over Fantomex) and shes independent in her own right.

Note that all of this is without any reference to the supposedly one interesting thing about her character, the Phoenix (which is pretty interesting, but leaving it aside...). She was angrily protective when the X-men first went to fight the Shi'ar and quite violent when she fought Firelord....

Her power and personality are distinctly feminine and forceful which I admire... shes not flashy, or gimmicky, but she has class and dignity...

dammit its hard to put it into words wink

To each, his own!

Right, so me calling Jean bland was a bit bias (or a lot wink ) but I honestly prefer Emma to Jean.

Too many Jean fans around here...sheesh stick out tongue!

Old Post Jul 8th, 2005 05:48 AM
munkiesarus is currently offline Click here to Send munkiesarus a Private Message Find more posts by munkiesarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

laughing out loud Threads keep getting started so that people can say how much they love Jean and how much they hate Emma. What's up with that?

I like them both but Emma is by far more interesting in my opinion.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2005 05:50 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
blaise

which threads...this is started from a long time ago.....and another one states what emma has done wrong...nuffin about how its a hate emma....
most of us don't hate emma ..we jus don't like what she does sometimes...shes not all that bad...we do see her goodpoints in ways .....its jus that she looks chosing to do some things emorrally thats allll..

Old Post Jul 8th, 2005 05:56 AM
blaise is currently offline Click here to Send blaise a Private Message Find more posts by blaise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eternitygoddess

^Good point Blaise. On a neutral ground and in the past, I liked Emma because she has such a unique personality. She's the epitome of a diva all the way down to her mutant abilites.

But some of the things she has done recently is downright malicious and mean, and she did it to Jean Grey who happens to be my favorite character. As a result, I have completely turned against her.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2005 06:03 AM
eternitygoddess is currently offline Click here to Send eternitygoddess a Private Message Find more posts by eternitygoddess Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FieryBalrog
child of the sun

Originally posted by munkiesarus
To each, his own!

Right, so me calling Jean bland was a bit bias (or a lot wink ) but I honestly prefer Emma to Jean.

Too many Jean fans around here...sheesh stick out tongue!

To each his own of course! For the record I quite like how Emma is being written over on Astonishing- cold, relentless and funny.

I dont like her so much on X-men because it seems shes being shoved in our faces (like X-23 or in the past Cable) on that book and shes not written nearly so well.

"Blood and flame and sacrifice..."

Old Post Jul 8th, 2005 06:30 AM
FieryBalrog is currently offline Click here to Send FieryBalrog a Private Message Find more posts by FieryBalrog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
munkiesarus
swimming upstream

Well, X-Men right now isn't much famous for its...yeah stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 8th, 2005 06:59 AM
munkiesarus is currently offline Click here to Send munkiesarus a Private Message Find more posts by munkiesarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix_Avatar9
Spark of Creation

I personally love them both, Emma has tried to atone for wrongs she has commited in the past. The only thing I was irked about is the affair, but I'm pretty much over it.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2005 03:32 PM
Phoenix_Avatar9 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix_Avatar9 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix_Avatar9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bitca360
Mutate #20

I prefer Emma over Jean personality wise...even though I admire telepathy and telekinesis over telepathy and diamond skin...Emma also has better costumes...it's a draw between code names: the Phoenix & the White Queen...but Emma Frost is a cooler real name than Jean Grey...
Just my opinions...

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 12:04 AM
bitca360 is currently offline Click here to Send bitca360 a Private Message Find more posts by bitca360 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
supreme_being

i think emma is a more realistic character but i dont like what she did to jean and i think jean as better abilities...well emma frost refelects her personality...frozen, i just dont see how heartless she can be sometimes...the only time i ever felt warmth towards emma was in endsong when she actually did something nice for jean...but in my opinion jean is better off alone, i mean she can hardly trust cyclops and he still 'loves' her which i think is complete bull"hit becuz why wud he go with that tart emma if he still loved jean!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:30 PM
supreme_being is currently offline Click here to Send supreme_being a Private Message Find more posts by supreme_being Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
supreme_being

and what also annoys me is she doesnt wear a standard x-men uniform which in my opinion would show that she wants to be apart of the team but clearly she doesnt as she is tarted up in those really bad looking pieces of material that hang from her body...jean would rip her to shreds anyday and who is emma to threatin jean i mean jean has been their the longest, the only time she caused havok was when she was the phoenix, which she tried her best to stop and did...she fought it like achamp and here comes ms emma frost thinkin she is cool and takin jeans man and takin her life...HOW DARE SHE!!!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:34 PM
supreme_being is currently offline Click here to Send supreme_being a Private Message Find more posts by supreme_being Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I like 'em both, but Jean's cooler when she's angry.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:57 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wannabe
P10 commercial Mindguard

I like them both too, but Emma is still much more interesting to me.
I loved her own title and found it pretty usefull for an understanding why she is the woman she is nowadays.
I like Emma for not being perfect, not even seeming to be perfect and for being powerful, but not being as ridiculously powerful as the Grey-Clan-Members.

THE CORPS IS MOTHER
THE CORPS IS FATHER

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 06:05 PM
wannabe is currently offline Click here to Send wannabe a Private Message Find more posts by wannabe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bitca360
Mutate #20

Even though I still prefer Emma overall, I forgot to mention that Jean deserves alot of praise because after the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga, she DID increase the status of the X-Men to become major players in Marvel Comics history...

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 08:48 PM
bitca360 is currently offline Click here to Send bitca360 a Private Message Find more posts by bitca360 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Forever
Evolution Leaps Forword

Storm is my favorite jean is second

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 09:50 PM
Phoenix Forever is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix Forever a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Forever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bitca360
Mutate #20

^^^BUMP BUMP BUMP^^^

Old Post Dec 12th, 2005 03:40 AM