KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Superman

Superman
Started by: Gregory

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Superman

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm wondering if somebody can explain something for me.

I read in another thread that Superman gains his powers from the Sun. In fact, I've heard that a lot, and its born out by the Superman comics I've bothered to read.

But, in the comic series Batman and the Outsiders, Superman battles one of the Outsiders, Geoforce, who has the ability to control gravity. Geoforce claims that Superman gains his powers from Earth's gravity, and proceeds to weaken him considerably with his gravity powers.

What's up with that?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2004 02:14 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kal-el
kryptonian slag

Well I know that originally in the very first superman.When he was 'faster than a......more powerful than a.........leap tall buldings in a..........and that nothing less than an exploding shell on contact could break his skin'. That was all he could do.he couldn't fly he could just jump 'hulk-style'.This must be 1920s/30s.Anyway, they didn't start the idea of the sun providing his power then and decided that his great strength was due to his home planet(Krypton) having a much stronger gravitational pull than Earth because it was many times larger in mass(some physics there for you).I think thats what this comic was on about.How old is it?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2004 09:39 PM
kal-el is currently offline Click here to Send kal-el a Private Message Find more posts by kal-el Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Herr Logan
Critical Bastard

It's a combination of both the stronger gravitational pull of the planet Krypton (although to be honest, little Kal never got used to that environment, so it's a sci-fi B.S. explanation pointing to his genetics, which I don't think flies in reality), Kryptonians having a denser molecular structure than Earthlings, and the sun comes into it in that his powers are fueled by solar energy. He's like a plant. He soaks in yellow sunlight and stores it in his cells. There's a book called "The Science of Superman" that you may want to check out.

I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn't very nice.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2004 10:29 PM
Herr Logan is currently offline Click here to Send Herr Logan a Private Message Find more posts by Herr Logan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Viper
The Mack Daddy of Funk

Pretty much what Logan and kal said. The high gravity of Krypton causes him to have a much denser body mass, and that high gravity is actually what caused Krypton's destruction because the planet was unstable.

Also kal if you were asking Superman's first appearance was Action Comics #1 in June 1938.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2004 10:58 PM
Viper is currently offline Click here to Send Viper a Private Message Find more posts by Viper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Okay. Thanks for the info.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2004 11:38 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kal-el
kryptonian slag

I tell you what I always found inconsistent with the molecular density thing - why doesnt he weigh like a few tonnes if his mass is so dense?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2004 11:52 PM
kal-el is currently offline Click here to Send kal-el a Private Message Find more posts by kal-el Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

quote:
Originally posted by kal-el
I tell you what I always found inconsistent with the molecular density thing - why doesnt he weigh like a few tonnes if his mass is so dense?

Tsk tsk, and he's such a realistic character otherwise ....

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2004 12:42 AM
kal-el
kryptonian slag

good point

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2004 12:43 AM
shaber
schizoid

Superman is basically a deity. The fact that he is a good character is critical in deciding this. The monotheistic theodicy would only permit an independent being of his attributes to exist if it were evil (say a devil)

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2004 12:52 AM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

ehhh in english blink

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2004 10:20 AM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

The Superman world is pagan because Superman has fantastic abilities, but he is a good character.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2004 07:32 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Herr Logan
Critical Bastard

Superman lives in the same world as Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, so I suppose you could call it a "pagan" world. He is not literally a deity. Whether one believes in the kind of accidents that give people like Spider-Man and the Hulk superhuman powers, they can't definitively say anything about extraterrestrials' abilities. We haven't seen any, so it's still up for ideas. Monotheism has no place in judging how comic books are written, unless it's an independent comic specifically about such matters.

I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn't very nice.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2004 08:48 PM
Herr Logan is currently offline Click here to Send Herr Logan a Private Message Find more posts by Herr Logan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kal-el
kryptonian slag

this is a discussion for a whole other forum guys.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2004 09:03 PM