KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What Is The Meaning Of Life?

What Is The Meaning Of Life?
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (52): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Syren
dreaming

Carry on ladies, bring God into it or don't, I'm interested in your personal points of view. I'll see you all later

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:49 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

I do not think that life has any defined "meaning." We can make of our lives what we will, and give them whatever meanings we choose--we are not bound by some intangiable, predefined "meaning."

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 03:18 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

That leads nicely into free will, and the belief in fate.

I, personally, do not believe that my life, or anyone elses, is already planned out. I am an Atheist, and a Humanist, I believe that my life will become what I make of it. Obviously other people and everyday occurences are great factors, but in the end it will boil down to me. My decisions and how I want my life to end up.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:17 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Well, thinking philosophicly, destiny contradicts the idea of religion and God. yes

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:50 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

For me the meaning of life is to learn, educate, and teach each other. Death is a factor, but that doesn't mean a person should just give up, and accept the end. Life goes on, our meaning is to ensure that the chain of humanity continues. Love is also a great factor in life. We should not only love our family but also express that love to others. People depend on others for help. That's were we should come in, and help them. To be human doesn't mean eat, sleep, sex, build a family. It also means to help others.

At the same time our meaning is to preserve our world. So that future generations get to experience what we have experience. What kind of experiences? How about love? or care for others.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 05:05 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Thats why this is a philosophical quesion Storm. There are no direct philosophical questions.

I dont think there is a need to drag God into this, as none of us have at all so far...if you believe it is sagnificant to drg him in, then do it your side of things.

You cant simplify a philosophical questions into one direct one. Meaning of life, thats why its a question, and everyone is exploring the answer and its possibilitis.

Actually, no, I disagree. Storm is right- this question is muddled. Some peope are reading it as purpose of life, and some people are reading it as the mystery behind life.

Philosophical vagueness or otherwise- people are just going to be answering different questions here because 'Meaning of Life' is too vague.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 05:22 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I meaning of life is to simply do what you can to enjoy the time you're given.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 08:34 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Actually, no, I disagree. Storm is right- this question is muddled. Some peope are reading it as purpose of life, and some people are reading it as the mystery behind life.

Philosophical vagueness or otherwise- people are just going to be answering different questions here because 'Meaning of Life' is too vague.

Thats the point Ush. The question isnt ''muddled'' its been asked like that for a very long time. Its what you make of it that counts.

Storm asked what Syren did, in serious of smaller questions.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 08:52 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peloquin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

quote:
Originally posted by Syren
This, in a sense, summarizes all other questions asked. It is usually understood as: "What are the highest values, the Supreme Goals which I should try to achieve?". We stress that every human being must freely set those goals for himself or herself. The Supreme Goal which we choose derives logically from our cybernetic world view: to make a constructive contribution to the evolution of humanity, in order to maximize our long-term chances of survival (immortality). In essence, the 'meaning of life' is to increase evolutionary fitness. Do you agree?

Well, for the meaning of life, I would say it's a reflection issue. An awareness of self is reflected back at the awareness until they come to 'full' awareness of self. Once that happens there's no need to be looking at the reflection anymore. The world reflects who and what we are back at us. As for "what are the supreme goals"...freedom of the expression of self. So that you may get a clear reflection and know the self. I believe the physical world is the reflection, the true self exists beyond it.

Chillin out with my little Irish leprechaun, my faithful butler Jeeves and a ukulele playin Hawaiian midget. All is solid in Pel's world.

"Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Kahlil Gibran

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 12:50 AM
Peloquin is currently offline Click here to Send Peloquin a Private Message Find more posts by Peloquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

My genuine opinions would simply be edited out so I'll agree with what any moderators have posted on this thread.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 12:59 AM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peloquin
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
My genuine opinions would simply be edited out so I'll agree with what any moderators have posted on this thread.

Aww C'mon don't be like that. Out with it...

Chillin out with my little Irish leprechaun, my faithful butler Jeeves and a ukulele playin Hawaiian midget. All is solid in Pel's world.

"Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Kahlil Gibran

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 01:07 AM
Peloquin is currently offline Click here to Send Peloquin a Private Message Find more posts by Peloquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reborn Again
I'm HELL's Wrath!

I believe What is the Meaning of Life is a question best summed up in 5 words: What is it to you? Does there have to be one all emcompassing answer to the old age question?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 04:19 AM
Reborn Again is currently offline Click here to Send Reborn Again a Private Message Find more posts by Reborn Again Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Reborn Again
I believe What is the Meaning of Life is a question best summed up in 5 words: What is it to you? Does there have to be one all emcompassing answer to the old age question?

OK, you've got a point, but I don't think I specifically requested one 'all encompassing' answer. I simply wanted to know people's opinions, their conception of life in general; why they believe we are here. If you can't answer that with anything other than 'Mind your own business' then you really shouldn't have bothered posting. But cheers.......

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 02:28 PM
Reborn Again
I'm HELL's Wrath!

I didn't mean it like that, Syren. I was merely stating my philosophy on the issue. Basically, a person's point of view on the Meaning of Life changes throughout their life time. Presently, the meaning of life for me is or was my dog, Dakota. Her death hit me hard and I feel lost without her. She was my meaning to life.

Attachment: dakota_big123.jpg
This has been downloaded 99 time(s).

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 04:46 PM
Reborn Again is currently offline Click here to Send Reborn Again a Private Message Find more posts by Reborn Again Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Biologically speaking we’re just here to create low-entrophy in the atmosphere and procreate (although the latter is a circular argument. I exist to further the existence of my species).
There is no philosophical meaning with life. Life is what you make of it, and you, yourself, decide which meaning it has.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 05:34 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by The Omega
Biologically speaking we’re just here to create low-entrophy in the atmosphere and procreate (although the latter is a circular argument. I exist to further the existence of my species).
There is no philosophical meaning with life. Life is what you make of it, and you, yourself, decide which meaning it has.

Agreed. I often use that particular reason; procreation. But I believe it extends into another purpose. Not only to procreate, but to make the lives of our children a little better than ours. Every generation should live a 'better' life. I don't think that's been the way of things, not continuously, but IMO it should be.

Reborn; I'm sorry, I took your post the wrong way, and I'm sorry to hear about your dog. But surely she could not have been your sole reason for existence? I understand that she perhaps lit up your life, but not made it completely worthwhile. That's just, well, really sad sad

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 03:40 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Every generation should live a 'better' life. I don't think that's been the way of things, not continuously, but IMO it should be."

I have been saying this for a while.

If I ever had a kid (which I don't plan to) I would make sure that I gave it all the knowledge and life lessons I had learned. Not to force them to live that way, but so they don't have to go through some of the BS I have had to go through to learn those things. Hopefully with the achieved result that when they reach certain similar or identical dilemmas they'll have another perspective and way of dealing with it, at their disposal. The meaning of life would be, if universal, to live how you feel you should regardless of what that means and pass on knowledge. Always.

That to me is the most important. How can we ever hope to better our world when we don't start with the ones who are gonna be here after us? I don't worship kids, I think they suck. But if you're gonna fill the world with them then make sure they don't grow up to be complete cabbages.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 03:53 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lady_Eowyn3
ACTING IS LIFE

i think life is kind of like a test, you live it how you see fit but for the eternity, you live life how u wish, but it's all to see how you will spend eternity

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 05:36 AM
Lady_Eowyn3 is currently offline Click here to Send Lady_Eowyn3 a Private Message Find more posts by Lady_Eowyn3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

what do you mean when you say life? life as general existence? Life in the form of the collective conscious, there are many levels, perspective's, and forms of life.this is talking human or not. I would say concluding one simple reason(meaning) for life is a naive way of thinking. What ever happen to living life to it's fullest, giving back, striving to be the very BEST that you can be, and never stop learning.

I mean what if we are here for no particular reason, except to experience life. Maybe whatever put us here God,nature, a man in a clown suit, just put us here because they could, because they had the ability. Or maybe it is the will of nature, or maybe some man in with a red nose and clown shoes wanted to be entertained. Who knows,who cares, were here, if you keep asking this question you will be dead when you find the answer, but then again maybe your purpose is to question, to always strive and never be satisfied, anyhting is possible

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 05:02 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

AC - "That to me is the most important. How can we ever hope to better our world when we don't start with the ones who are gonna be here after us? I don't worship kids, I think they suck. But if you're gonna fill the world with them then make sure they don't grow up to be complete cabbages."

Brilliant, absolutely classic. The entire content in that statement made me grin from ear to ear. You are right, of course. If we are to 'better our world' the logical place to begin would be with the brats. "Complete cabbages"!! Oh dear laughing

Lady E - That's right when you look at it from a religious perspective, with regard to where you'll end up once you die. Live life in order to get where you want to be when it ends.

Rages Remorse - I've already said that I'm not looking for one all encompassing answer, I don't even think I asked an all encompassing question. I'm hazarding a guess, but I doubt you've read the whole thread. I simply wanted to know a few different perpectives, so I suggest you answer the elements of the question that catch your attention. Everyone will see the question differently, and will answer it differently. Therefore allowing me the varied perspectives I was looking for when I made this thread.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 05:21 PM