KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What Is The Meaning Of Life?

What Is The Meaning Of Life?
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (52): « First ... « 49 50 [51] 52 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JesusLovesYou
No. I don't agree. Outside of a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ life doesn't make sense, let alone have meaning.

Death was not God's original plan. It's the effect of sin. You and the rest of the world were created to have a great, face-to-face relationship with our Creator.

^ before even reading, let me guess:

To love and worship God and to follow the teachings of Jesus?

Yup, pretty much. Called it. Face-to-face relationship with our Creator? I thought our faces would melt off if we saw Him... how are we supposed to see him face-to-face? lol

Old Post Jun 9th, 2017 02:31 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

And what's the purpouse of having such a relationship?

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 12:06 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Melisa Jones

Re: Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Originally posted by JesusLovesYou
No. I don't agree. Outside of a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ life doesn't make sense, let alone have meaning.

Death was not God's original plan. It's the effect of sin. You and the rest of the world were created to have a great, face-to-face relationship with our Creator.

---------------------------
Damn, how dare you to say to meet ftof with GOD ? i think you have to learn for
yourself how to write, because i can't understand how you can explain a process that i find so baffling. Maybe i think you had been in depressed about something anyways stay blessed & GOD will make you sense to understand whole things one day or sooner thanks!

Old Post Jul 29th, 2017 09:59 AM
Melisa Jones is currently offline Click here to Send Melisa Jones a Private Message Find more posts by Melisa Jones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
And what's the purpouse of having such a relationship?

Maybe God just isn't into One Night Stands.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2017 06:11 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dramatic Gecko
Gypsy With Internet

A belief in a God is just a fear of death. Not to be taken seriously. The religious are welcome to it of course, as a hippy is welcome to star signs and what not. But I wouldn't let people who believe in the Zodiac run a country or hold any relevant power at all.

My meaning of life is improvement. To become better and better. As has been the trend with all life on earth. If there is anything even in existence that resembles a God it exists in our future at the pinnacle of improvement, not in the delusions of a confused and decadent past when we didn't know better.

Lets start by summoning feats.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2017 06:26 AM
Dramatic Gecko is currently offline Click here to Send Dramatic Gecko a Private Message Find more posts by Dramatic Gecko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I applaud and share your goal of self-improvement, while disagreeing with your complete contempt for anything connected to religion.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 7th, 2017 06:39 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dramatic Gecko
Gypsy With Internet

Originally posted by Emperordmb
I applaud and share your goal of self-improvement, while disagreeing with your complete contempt for anything connected to religion.

Yeah sorry about that. I sound very callous. I have nothing against those of practice religion to themselves. My contempt is wrought for those who use these superstitions to control others. Sometimes entire countries.

Lets start by summoning feats.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2017 06:42 AM
Dramatic Gecko is currently offline Click here to Send Dramatic Gecko a Private Message Find more posts by Dramatic Gecko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
Yeah sorry about that. I sound very callous. I have nothing against those of practice religion to themselves. My contempt is wrought for those who use these superstitions to control others. Sometimes entire countries.

I agree with you as far as theocracies go, as I find the separation of church and state to be a very astute decision that protects both church and state, and that even regardless of morality it isn't the state's business to use the force of law to enforce morality except in the protection of the rights of others. As a Christian who takes Jesus's whole spiel about "judge not lest ye be judged" seriously it's certainly not my place to enforce my moral standards on others (except for the protection of other people's rights).

I do think sometimes people ***** about religion as a weasel word for certain political issues to try and invalidate the other side. Take the abortion debate for example, there are some who argue that pro-life position is by default unconstitutional because "separation of church and state" even though the pro-life position can be held secularly and even though I rarely hear citations to religious authority when seeing people argue the pro-life position. If you ask me, it's oppressive to atheists to declare the position of pro-life atheists (such as my two best friends) invalid just because those positions happen to be shared by those affiliated with a specific religion. Or for example some feminists arguing against the existence of the institution of marriage will reject it as a purely patriarchal construct with no basis other than religion, without taking an objective eye to the consensual nature of marriage in western nations and the benefit the institution has brought to society as a whole.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 7th, 2017 06:58 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

The meaning of Life is Free Will and consciousness.

What are you supposed to do with your life however, that's a meaning you have to figure for yourself.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 09:06 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
The meaning of Life is Free Will and consciousness.
Consciousness is a byproduct of life, not it's meaning. No more than pattern recognition is a byproduct of life, not it's meaning.

And free will as a concept sort of loses its edge and luster should the universe wind up being a simulation. Or 1 in an infinite number of cyclical universe that wind up the same every go around. If either (or both) of those are the case, then we're just going about as if we have free will. Unaware that every thought and action is part of our programming and/or destined to happen an inifinite amount of times in an infinite amount of realities.

Philosophy is a f*cking bummer. But I've typed that an infinite number of times already, so what do I know?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 10:58 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

You make your own meaning. That's always been, and always will be the answer.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2017 11:20 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Good answer.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 01:59 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

For once, Rockydoneawang says something smart. thumb up

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 06:55 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJGGogeta

"Life doesn't give us purpose. We give life purpose." - Barry Allen, aka The Flash, Blackest Night #8

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2018 08:58 AM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by Rockydonovang

False. The meaning of life is 42.

Old Post May 13th, 2018 01:32 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

To die, Mister Anderson.

Old Post May 14th, 2018 04:41 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

I find great promise in life if that means anything to you.
Make a promise tonight and try to fullfill it and don't ever sell yourself short.
It will be cut short on account of the elect.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post May 18th, 2018 11:35 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can't seem to come up with my own meaning. When I was full of testosterone it was to achieve power, but now that I'm on anti-androgen therapy I can't seem to come up with any rational reason why life should be pursued.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jul 9th, 2018 05:33 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

To live happily while making the previous generation better than the last ..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jul 28th, 2019 01:50 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by Syren
This, in a sense, summarizes all other questions asked. It is usually understood as: "What are the highest values, the Supreme Goals which I should try to achieve?". We stress that every human being must freely set those goals for himself or herself. The Supreme Goal which we choose derives logically from our cybernetic world view: to make a constructive contribution to the evolution of humanity, in order to maximize our long-term chances of survival (immortality). In essence, the 'meaning of life' is to increase evolutionary fitness. Do you agree?
(please log in to view the image)

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jul 28th, 2019 03:30 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote