KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The American Dream

The American Dream
Started by: Agent Elrond

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

The American Dream

OK, I got another project to do, this time an 8-10 page paper on the American Dream. I would like to know what your opinions are of what the American Dream is. It can be about anything and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks in adavnce for your help

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 05:35 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

Supremacy over the rest of the world.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 05:39 PM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

laughing out loud I agree with Silver!

To be rich and famous, to be better than anyone...whoever, as long as you're better than someone.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 05:40 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

basicly what some are now but enlarged even more roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 05:41 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

The American Dream is lame. It disillusions people into thinking that anybody can be rich, which simply isn't true. Sure, once in a while, some joe-six pack will hit it big on the stock market and become a millionaire. But that's not often.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 06:45 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

The American Dream is the constant promise of jam tomorrow, while ignoring the need for bread today....

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 06:53 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Lol, Its so true!
laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 06:54 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

The American Dreams of many immigrants are education, money, job opportunities, liberty. But are very few those who really achieved their American dreams, it depends of how much they work for it, how realistic their are and what are the opportunities offer to them (us).

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 06:55 PM
Kaleanae is currently offline Click here to Send Kaleanae a Private Message Find more posts by Kaleanae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cermiestar
kitten

the american dream is an illusion, a nice one, but still, it doesn't exist. the idea that anyone who works hard enough can have this american dream is just completely untrue.

look at john steinbeck's books, namely "of mice and men" and "grapes of wrath". they were set in the the 30s but their themes about the american dream can be applied to today

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 08:39 PM
cermiestar is currently offline Click here to Send cermiestar a Private Message Find more posts by cermiestar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
furryman
honky

The novel Of Mice and Men is a microcosm of the American Dream smart

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 08:57 PM
furryman is currently offline Click here to Send furryman a Private Message Find more posts by furryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

I hated that book, what rubbish, and completely boring sleep

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 09:00 PM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

I thought it was good. confused

Another book that portrays the american dream very well is "The Death of a Salesman."

The American dream is, "if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." [Back to the Future] Which, as we all know, is a heep of manure.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 09:02 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

I've read Death of a Salesman. That is, in a nutshell, the American Dream

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 09:03 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
furryman
honky

I like Of Mice and Men.. I've studied it so much messed

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 09:05 PM
furryman is currently offline Click here to Send furryman a Private Message Find more posts by furryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Good Lord, you guys are STILL so depressing...

It is like young people are SO cynical now that they cannot recongise the good in anything at all!

I am no Republican but the American Dream IS a solid ideal that has transformed the world- for the better. And yes, many of us have issues with many things American but this does not excuse blinding ourselves to some of these truths.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 09:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The American Dream is simply to be successful in your endeavours.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 09:46 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

You know Ush, you're right, young people are cynical these days...

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2004 12:20 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

From my European perspective the American Dream seems to be to be building a global American Empire whist still pretending to be all about the founding states and democratic process.

The USA swears by the right of all its citizens to bear arms - has 752 military installations in more than 130 countries and yet still feels it has the right to dictate to the rest of the world what weapons they are allowed to posses.

God bless the American dream, because a dream is what it is - and the wake up call will be when the American economy implodes under the weight of its twin economic deficits, namely its external deficit and its growing budget deficit.

Hope that helps?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2004 12:49 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero

God bless the American dream, because a dream is what it is - and the wake up call will be when the American economy implodes under the weight of its twin economic deficits, namely its external deficit and its growing budget deficit.

Hope that helps?

If that does happen, then the entire world crumbles. It's interesting to see what ppl from other countries think of the American Dream

Old Post Jun 7th, 2004 12:56 AM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Elrond
the entire world crumbles.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the entire world will not "crumble" when Americas does. You don't export anything that can't be found elsewhere.

Best of luck with your forthcoming economic disaster and next fake election. We're rootin' for you.

"The American Dream" seems to be that the mass denial of the 50's hasn't ended and that one day all Americans will wake up to find they are all rich and everyone is white.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2004 01:15 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote