KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Review: The Chronicles of Riddick

Review: The Chronicles of Riddick
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Don't really want to bother contesting anyones opinion, simply cuz it doesn't do any good, but "Riddick" is character driven, not CGI. There was hardly any CGI in Riddick, either.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2004 07:19 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Indeed, the only parts that are CGI are the parts that are needed. I mean how else are you supposed to show an invasion of thousands of Necromonger ships that don't exist that are invading a planet that does not exist?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 01:20 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

One of the things I came away with originally was how incredible the set design was. Handcrafted, and I learned from the bonus disc, it was all foam! Crematoria, anyway. New Mecca, I imagine was partially CGI/matte, which is to be expected.

You want a movie that pushes CGI, look at the new Star Wars movies, or The Matrix films. The actors were seeing green everywhere they looked, I imagine.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:24 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I liked this movie a lot. I thought Pitch Black was just okay, but I thought this one was better. I didn't know that there is going to be two more. I'll go see them when they come out.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 03:20 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rwoonacott

Re: The Chronicles of Riddick - Ch. 1

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I took in "The Chronicles of Riddick" yesterday at a 2:00 PM showing, and figured I'd share my thoughts, being a fan of the "Pitch Black" franchise.

Synopsis

I went expecting absolutely nothing, and I was very pleasantly surprised! The characters were extremely interesting and reminded me of something closer to "Dune," with some H.R. Giger inspired sets. Very elaborate, very futuristic.

While I really didn't see the point in Thandie Newton's character, Dame Vaako, I think all the other characters played into the story well, especially the converted Necromongers who had some very morbid, yet futuristic costume designs.

Vin Diesel as Riddick was on point, as he was in Pitch Black. There were merely a couple of dodgy one liners, which are to be expected in a summer blockbuster w/ an action hero, still few and far between.

To be absolutely honest, I think the best part was the end, knowing full well there was already going to be a sequel, it was a very big emotional Catch 22 for Riddick, one that should be interesting to see over the next two movies.

Pros:

I don't think I was ever bored with the story itself! There were a few elements to it. An evil Lord hell-bent on conquest, another Lord who wants to steal the crown, with a new Queen in the wings, and a new hero who has to get himself out of the stickiest situations, and is expected to save the planet.

The characters didn't seem flat at all. There were a lot of different walks of life. Overlords, criminals turned heroes, whimsical beings, all of which played their parts quite solid. Dench, Diesel, and Urban especially. Very believable.

The CGI was actually quite impressive. The Lord of the Necromongers, Lord Marshall has the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: ability to steal peoples souls, and the CGI during those times was very interesting, and what I thought, well executed. It was similar to [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the soul stealing scenes in Prisoner of Azkaban for those who have seen it.

Cons:

Some of the supporting background characters kind of overplay their roles, especially the "Mercs," and the crooked prison wardens. There is such a thing as being too creepy, thus uncredible as a bad guy.

The CGI during the "wolf raid" was just kind of stupid. Just poor execution when it comes to the CGI beasts.

At times, the dialogue was a bit choppy. i.e. the lead Merc advised his crony to "put on a fresh pair of panties." It wasn't so bothersome as it was just overkill for the character.

In Closing..

If you do go see this movie, please don't be so analytical of it. Keep a couple of things in mind, especially when viewing any "Summer Blockbuster" such as this.

One, it's a big budget Sci Fi movie based off of a cult classic hero. It's made to appeal to a summertime crowd, it's safely rated PG-13.

Two, the dialogue isn't going to be that of some magnificent screenwriter. This is a cast of virtual unknowns, save Diesel and Dench, who nail their roles. The dialogue is going to be like that of Star Wars, Dune, Highlander. Just typical, grand scale science fiction, dealing with a hero, a villain, and a plot to take over the world.

Lastly, keep in mind that this being the initial installment of a 3 part franchise, much like Harry Potter, there is going to be a lot of set up in this movie. Lots of characters, less character development, and it will seem stuffy. That's to be expected. It's not worth breaking down, just have fun with it!

So, leave your brain at the door, suspend reality, and give Riddick a chance!
I totally agree with everything that you had mentioned in here, the movie was greater then I expected and there was never a dull moment. I would have to give this a 8 rating on my part.

I use my own words, and not the words of others. If you have a problem that is your problem and not mine so move along.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2004 06:16 AM
rwoonacott is currently offline Click here to Send rwoonacott a Private Message Find more posts by rwoonacott Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote