KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Life after death?

Life after death?
Started by: NyC-gUrL

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by Line
that's just it. wether something happens to us or not after we die all depends on wether or not we have something that outlives death, such as a soul. and as you said, that doesn't involve the body, which stops working.
the idea of a soul is strange. where would it be placed, so to say? inside us? around us? I read a short story in which a man has all his organs and limbs, including his head, replaced by someone else's. the question is wether he's still the same person? or did the soul go with his body (which doesn't really exist anymore)? or did it stay with him, though he has no body of his own any longer?

That kinda of thought goes back to the Greeks. The idea that the soul animates the body has change from culture to culture. We know that the data computer we call "the brain" is what makes us understand. But once the brain is dead does that mean our understanding ends? Maybe not, since our thoughts and ideas are not materialize they can reform in another essence. Thus it can be consider that the soul is not a learning entity (like the brain). But a vessel of that which we originally came from before birth. It comes down to the debate of essence preceeds existence. Just because our bodies have seize to function does that mean the existence is over? No, I don't think so.

That something that animates our bodies (if you want to call it a soul) maybe the key to our existence, or even our purpose in life. Maybe that something that we call "God" is our source from which we came from and then return to when we die. Hmmm......This ponders me. wink

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jun 30th, 2004 at 12:38 AM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 12:35 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

Very Matrixy laughing out loud returning to the source and all raver

I believe in heaven and hell, and yet I believe in re-incarnation.

I think that if you completely completed what you were set on earth to do, and have fulfilled your goals and ambitions then you will either go to heaven and hell, depending on the nature of those goals and such.

But if haven't fulfilled what you were meant to do, then you retrun with another chance.

Confusing, but I don't think there's a clear answer to the question.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 04:18 AM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marcellus
executioner

I have been thinking about somthing....when you die your body shut's down right? your hart stop's beating....

but your brain can go 5 minutes without air to nurish it. maybe only 1 or 2 minutes of quality thought function but here is my point

If you have a peacfull death like dieing in your sleep or just kinda keel over wouldnt you still be able to think for a short while?

I cant imagine what that must be like, knowing your dead before the lights finaly go out.

Id rather get hit by a truck

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 04:26 AM
Marcellus is currently offline Click here to Send Marcellus a Private Message Find more posts by Marcellus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

Wouldn't you head towards the light and not look back laughing out loud
I know I would, I would be too afraid to look back and see life from an omnipotent perspective.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 04:33 AM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NyC-gUrL
NY's Finest

apparantly if you're beheaded, your head still 'lives' for like 2 minutes messed I find that kinda scary...confused

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 01:00 PM
NyC-gUrL is currently offline Click here to Send NyC-gUrL a Private Message Find more posts by NyC-gUrL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Line
Sarkz

quote:
Originally posted by AmS-gUrL
well..theres bound to be a purpose of life, and if we cant find out what it is now then maybe we could in the 'afterlife'.

I don't think there really is. I believe that, as Fëanor said, we from nature's hand have only one purpose and that's to stay alive and multiply. all other purposes must be made and fullfilled by ourselves.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 01:04 PM
Line is currently offline Click here to Send Line a Private Message Find more posts by Line Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NyC-gUrL
NY's Finest

but in that case, what would be the purpose of our existence according to you? I dont think its possible that were just here... for no reason.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 01:06 PM
NyC-gUrL is currently offline Click here to Send NyC-gUrL a Private Message Find more posts by NyC-gUrL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Line
Sarkz

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
That kinda of thought goes back to the Greeks. The idea that the soul animates the body has change from culture to culture. We know that the data computer we call "the brain" is what makes us understand. But once the brain is dead does that mean our understanding ends? Maybe not, since our thoughts and ideas are not materialize they can reform in another essence. Thus it can be consider that the soul is not a learning entity (like the brain). But a vessel of that which we originally came from before birth. It comes down to the debate of essence preceeds existence. Just because our bodies have seize to function does that mean the existence is over? No, I don't think so.

That something that animates our bodies (if you want to call it a soul) maybe the key to our existence, or even our purpose in life. Maybe that something that we call "God" is our source from which we came from and then return to when we die. Hmmm......This ponders me. wink

afraid I'm not that strong in the Greek philosophies.
about the ideas: do you mean that we contínue to understand through our ideas and thoughts' survival?

ponders the hell out of me too. thing is, I've been wondering what might be the animating 'spark' so to say, that kicked us to life and gave us our personality. now it seems more and more like our personality can be pulled apart and analyzed simply through our genes. wether a person will be shy or outgoing, even what kind of job that person may choose, and what kind of partner, seems to be more determined by our genes than previously thought. do we then have a free will? do we then have a personality that'll outlive death?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 01:20 PM
Line is currently offline Click here to Send Line a Private Message Find more posts by Line Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Line
Sarkz

quote:
Originally posted by AmS-gUrL
but in that case, what would be the purpose of our existence according to you? I dont think its possible that were just here... for no reason.

well, I'm not a religious person, so I don't believe we've been created with a particular plan in mind. we just sort of happened. as such, what would our purpose be except just being? we've got the ability to think up reasons of our own, though, but these won't outlive death (except in the minds of those who're still alive).

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 01:26 PM
NyC-gUrL
NY's Finest

Im not a religious person either, but I still cant imagine that we would just exist without a purpose. But I guess we'll find out eventually (when we die)

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 01:30 PM
Line
Sarkz

that's true. we definately will. and hopefully we'll meet and you'll be able to say "told you so!" wink (if the purpose is a good one, that is big grin )

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 01:35 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
afraid I'm not that strong in the Greek philosophies.
about the ideas: do you mean that we contínue to understand through our ideas and thoughts' survival?

ponders the hell out of me too. thing is, I've been wondering what might be the animating 'spark' so to say, that kicked us to life and gave us our personality. now it seems more and more like our personality can be pulled apart and analyzed simply through our genes. wether a person will be shy or outgoing, even what kind of job that person may choose, and what kind of partner, seems to be more determined by our genes than previously thought. do we then have a free will? do we then have a personality that'll outlive death?

Similar to what you saying is what I have in mind. I like to separate mind and body when it comes to life and death. The brain is only an organic hardware. Whereas the mind is the software (yeah I know I sound like as if I been watching the Matrix too much stick out tongue).

I tend to think that reality is more than the objects that we see. Deep inside there has to be an ultimate truth to them. Maybe our minds are too materialistic to see that which lies beyond a thing. I think that once the body dies our mind expands to a larger degree of understanding. So maybe our mind doesn't die. It could be eternal.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 09:30 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bigbadbike2
Hitman

Without the thought of some sort of eternal life, life itself is without hope. We will live our lives in desperation knowing we have nothing in the end. With this thought in mind I believe everyone believes in life after death. It is only what happens in the afterlife we argue.

Furthermore if we look back with a rational mind over how we began as a human race, we will realize human destiny. We must have came from some sort of God; Darwin himself says that in his own teaching. If we admit to ourselves the truth that we did come from God then the hereafter is explained. We are made to have eternal life with God, and the purpose for this life is to prepare us for it.

Made By: Me

Dragging a knee at 140 on a bike, just takes all the rush out of driving a car at 120. - Sammy Sliger, 2001 (paraphrased)

Money is not everything. As if poverty is.

I've also learned that love cannot be on a one way street... if it does not go both ways it can be a lonely road. Personally I like to just watch the cars go by.... - Happy Kine, 2003

Dare to be different, just like everyone else.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 10:05 PM
bigbadbike2 is currently offline Click here to Send bigbadbike2 a Private Message Find more posts by bigbadbike2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NyC-gUrL
NY's Finest

quote:
that's true. we definately will. and hopefully we'll meet and you'll be able to say "told you so!" wink (if the purpose is a good one, that is big grin )

that'd be cool laughing out loud I always love saying I told you so roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 09:21 AM
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

quote:
you think we'd have a purpose in the 'afterlife?'

not really, we just reap the benefits that we did on earth, so what we do down here affects what will happen up there

Made by the awesome transforming Hegemon
Don't mess with The Force, because I ownz you. -The Force

Crazy Christian all over your candy arse.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 04:05 PM
The Force is currently offline Click here to Send The Force a Private Message Find more posts by The Force Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Line
Sarkz

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Similar to what you saying is what I have in mind. I like to separate mind and body when it comes to life and death. The brain is only an organic hardware. Whereas the mind is the software (yeah I know I sound like as if I been watching the Matrix too much stick out tongue).

I tend to think that reality is more than the objects that we see. Deep inside there has to be an ultimate truth to them. Maybe our minds are too materialistic to see that which lies beyond a thing. I think that once the body dies our mind expands to a larger degree of understanding. So maybe our mind doesn't die. It could be eternal.

so we sort of become our ideas? what if our ideas are not known to anybody else than ourselves? wouldn't they dissapear along with us then? and don't we consist of more than just our ideas? ( well, I haven't watched the Matrix too much myself, so if you do not tell me that's how you sound I won't be able to wag my finger at you wink )

I guess this is very hard to discuss. I don't think there is such a thing as an ultimate truth, though I do think there are as many personal truths as there are people. these truths won't concern others but ourselves though and won't continue existing after our death (but since death, in my oppinion, ends all, we luckily won't be around to feel bad about that wink )

bigbadbike: I don't see why life would be without hope? and I don't agree that everybody necessarily believes in a life after death. some people just can't. this may make them regard life differently, even make them scared of death, but I don't think people who do believe in an afterlife are never themselves afraid of dying. dying is scary as hell and we deal with it in different ways.

NyC-gUrL: so do I. but if I'm right, I won't get the chance to do so ... bugger ... sad

Old Post Jul 5th, 2004 06:47 PM
lil bitchiness
-

I believe we are reincarnated back to suffer another lifetime.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jul 5th, 2004 06:54 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

I hope it's not like general anaesthetic sad

Old Post Jul 5th, 2004 09:01 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

Life after death? I nice concept.

Death:

The termination of life.

I dont believe in it.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 07:28 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Predator 89

don't believe in it but that does not mean i dont believe in God.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 08:31 PM
Predator 89 is currently offline Click here to Send Predator 89 a Private Message Find more posts by Predator 89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote