KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
Started by: Sir Elmo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sir Elmo
Cpt. Band of the Red Hand

Flash Gordon

Last night i watched a movie [for about the 5th time] Flash the kinda old kinda new vesion with Queen. I just have to tell people to watch and tell me are they going to make another one because at the end they made a THE END? Its a bitcorny [the movie] but is u like science fiction or queen u should really watch it or if u have seen it please tell me what u think of it and the END thanks please post

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 05:04 PM
Sir Elmo is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Elmo a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Elmo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

"Flash Gordon" (1980) is a favorite from my childhood, since it came right in the midst of the "Star Wars" trilogy and its furor. Just as Tarantino paid tribute to the cheesiness of some of his favorite chop-sockey flicks, I believe the filmmakers here wanted to hearken back to the old Flash Gordon serials, which went all the way back to the 30's.

Back then, EVERYTHING space-related had lightning bolts and glitter fastened to it. Space travel in the 30's was still non-existent (the first satellite wasn't launched until the 50's), so sci-fi/fantasy fiction were at their most fanciful.

As for the performances, I loved Von Sydow as Ming, and Maximillian Schell was good as Dr. Zarkov. I also liked the accent from Peter Wyngarde (Klytus), though I haven't seen or heard anything from him before or since (I understand he's had a successful career in English movies and TV, though).

Anyway, I imagine they put in the "The End?" bit because the bottom line in Hollywood is ALWAYS money, and they wanted to hint that there COULD easily be a sequel (perhaps to attract potential investors right out of the viewing audience). I'm pretty sure all of the principal cast are still alive, though; maybe they SHOULD do a sequel, in which Flash and Dale's son (Christian Bale) and/or daughter (Angelina Jolie) team up against Ming's son Ming Junior (Peter Stormare).

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 09:20 PM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Elmo

Hmm very interesting *thinking* *could make millions* well anyway yeh i love this movie and they should make a new one if they could come up with a good story

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2004 03:42 AM
Sir Elmo is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Elmo a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Elmo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Elmo

but u have a good point the dstory was resolved

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2004 03:43 AM
Willo
Shabba!

Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun FLASH!!! AAAAHH AAAAAHHH Der Der Saviour of the Universe! DerDer DerDer Der Der Dun Dun Dun Dun........!!!

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2004 02:01 PM
Willo is currently offline Click here to Send Willo a Private Message Find more posts by Willo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

FLASH!!! AHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAH!!! big grin

I like Ming's dead. And cool

And Ornella Muti as princess Aura That foxie sexie italian beauty

It was nice to see the hawkmen too smile . But I still prefer to see the original tv series from the thirties and a comic series produced in the seventies wich was very closer to the original Alex Raymond script.

The great Ming The Merciless and that silly hero named Flash.

Attachment: ming7.jpeg
This has been downloaded 78 time(s).

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Last edited by Corlindel on Jul 2nd, 2004 at 02:25 PM

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2004 02:18 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BoyScoutKevin

Re: Flash Gordon

While there are no plans for a sequel, there is, as far as I know, going to be a remake w/ Stephen Sommers as director.

I imagine this time around, the special effects will be better, but how are they going to top the "cheese" factor of the old one, and a cast that, besides those named, included Melody Anderson, Timothy Dalton, and Brian Blessed. And one of the best film scores, by Queen, that i have ever heard in a film.

While it was not a movie I enjoyed, when it was first released to the theaters, it is a movie that I have come to appreciate more over the years.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 05:53 PM
BoyScoutKevin is currently offline Click here to Send BoyScoutKevin a Private Message Find more posts by BoyScoutKevin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

crap

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 07:05 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zerosparx

LOL yeah CRAP...Stephen Sommers...not the best director

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 09:49 PM
Zerosparx is currently offline Click here to Send Zerosparx a Private Message Find more posts by Zerosparx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Flash Gordon is a cool Sci-fi character. But unfortunally the movie was TOO cheesy! Don't be suprise if some producer wants to make a re-make. Hopefully some good acting and NO cheesiness.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 10:11 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Willo
Shabba!

Yeah it is crap, but that is what makes it good!!! And the score by Queen FLASH AH AH!

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 01:00 AM
Willo is currently offline Click here to Send Willo a Private Message Find more posts by Willo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zerosparx

Wind Dancers right way too cheesy

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 11:46 PM
Zerosparx is currently offline Click here to Send Zerosparx a Private Message Find more posts by Zerosparx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MIL

I think if Lucas/Speilberg duo took Flash Gordon seriously we'd have an unforgettable film!
I'd be waiting for any new one though!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 03:03 AM
MIL is currently offline Click here to Send MIL a Private Message Find more posts by MIL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

I hated this movie!

A super-hero football player!? I mean, come on!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 09:36 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

Watch the scene when one of Prince Barrin's men takes the test, and gets stung and dies.... yup, that is Peter Duncan, Blue Peter presenter and now Chief Scout of the UK.....

Old Post Mar 16th, 2005 12:58 AM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corran
Lucifer

Flash is cool and Brian Blessed was great at Vultan. The cheesyness is part of the make up and attraction of the film with a great sound track too.

Gordon's alive

Old Post Mar 16th, 2005 09:14 AM
Corran is currently offline Click here to Send Corran a Private Message Find more posts by Corran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

FLASH! AH-AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Old Post Mar 16th, 2005 03:50 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote