KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » What does Darth Vader actually mean

What does Darth Vader actually mean
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Putte

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by finti
and Sidious is Swedish for "Norway is always better"

No, thats not true, close but not true........ smile change better to lesser, and then use that in all sentences except about oil... stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 16th, 2004 10:37 PM
Click here to Send Putte a Private Message Find more posts by Putte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Lucas has confirmed: this will be revealed in Ep 3...

Ahnold Sez: (From "The Expendables 2"): "My *shoe* is bigger than this cahr!"

Old Post Mar 17th, 2004 01:22 PM
Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Vader means "coolest freakin' mofo who is better than superman, spiderman, the hulk and peter griffin put together".

No seriously, it's obvious Lucas didn't have a clue what he was doing.

In a New Hope Vader is constantly reffered to as "Darth". It's his NAME.

In ESB and beyond he is reffered to as "Vader". "Darth" is his TITLE.

So, it is safe to say that Lucas didn't have a clue about what "Vader" meant himself.

Back in those days, wasn't everybody into "space" hype and stuff? "Invaders" from another planet and what not? I just think he he came up with the name "Vader" because it sounded a) cool b) futuristic and c) deadly.

I think it is pure coincidence that Vader means father also in another language.

If Episode 3 explains why he was called Vader, then it's just Lucas making it up as he goes along. Add that to the long list of improv in the Star Wars library such as Midichlorians (I mean, WTF!?), the use of "Darth" in Sith Lord names, and how some Jedi don't dissapear when they die.

He's just making up this stuff as he goes.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2004 02:42 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beefy

look it up already!

h*tp://dictionaries.travlang.com/DutchEnglish/dict.cgi?query=vader&max=50

Dutch-English On-line Dictionary Search Results
Notes: Searches are case insensitive. You can use a * as a wildcard. Boolean searches are allowed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Result of search for "vader":

vader
1. father

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 03:14 AM
Click here to Send beefy a Private Message Find more posts by beefy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Darth Vader.........translation Darth (Major) Vader (Asskicker) there ya go.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 03:17 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Good analogy. wink

SMX
cool

I like George.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 03:22 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Re: look it up already!

quote:
Originally posted by beefy
h*tp://dictionaries.travlang.com/DutchEnglish/dict.cgi?query=vader&max=50

Dutch-English On-line Dictionary Search Results
Notes: Searches are case insensitive. You can use a * as a wildcard. Boolean searches are allowed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Result of search for "vader":

vader
1. father

YES it means father in dutch, we got that by the last two pages AND numerous other topics already! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 10:15 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yup, please do check threads before you reply...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 12:31 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
devilreverse
Chief Security Officer

yo,
GL used the name 'darth vader' because it has many archetypal meanings, fifty of you already mentioned the dutch meaning. there is also supposidly an islamic translation, darth meaning dark, and vader meaning truth. Dark Truth. if you prefer the dutch thing, mix em up, dark father. either way lucas wins because it means many things to MANY different people without them knowing it. in ep3 he will probably tell us something totally different, like its a sith title or something, of course he didn't even have the word sith in the OT, so all bets are off.....

ahgoiihjhhhhhhhadogjihhhhhh......... look behind you.....

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 03:48 PM
Click here to Send devilreverse a Private Message Find more posts by devilreverse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cornponious
Kuntrious Kokious Maximus

I still say Vader means "father".

big grin

corn

The Moto Dork

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 04:39 PM
Click here to Send cornponious a Private Message Find more posts by cornponious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoMeN

the german word for father is VATER. you see? VATER and VADER.
VADER is LUKEs FATHER!

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 04:43 PM
Click here to Send NoMeN a Private Message Find more posts by NoMeN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Seriously... it didn't mean ANYTHING, guys... people read far too much into this thing.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 05:16 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Man, this is as bad as the 'Lightsabers and water" thread.

I recently read about a guy who visited a small foreign country and the locals there told him his name translated into "enormous penis" in their native language. Hilarity ensued, of course. The stupid article didnt give the name or languages involved though.

I don't remember Vader being referred to as "Darth" in ANH. "Darth" sounds too much like "Garth", which reminds me of country music, which makes me upset. Darth is not a good first name.

"Did Braveheart run away? Did Payback run away?"

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 06:27 PM
Click here to Send Creechuur a Private Message Find more posts by Creechuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evolution
Restricted

Account Restricted

there will be a scene were vader gets his name after he's put in the armor.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 06:43 PM
Click here to Send Evolution a Private Message Find more posts by Evolution Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

quote:
Originally posted by NoMeN
the german word for father is VATER. you see? VATER and VADER.
VADER is LUKEs FATHER!

really? you mean... what I said IN THIS THREAD ALREADY is STILL true??? wow no expression

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 06:46 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peluffo

quote:
Originally posted by Creechuur

I don't remember Vader being referred to as "Darth" in ANH. "Darth" sounds too much like "Garth", which reminds me of country music, which makes me upset. Darth is not a good first name.

huh

-"Only a master of evil, Darth"

Man, have you seen the OT?

For the Empire, against the rebel alliance.
"Good" is a point of view...The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2004 07:46 PM
Click here to Send peluffo a Private Message Find more posts by peluffo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Scuse me dude...I just don't remember that part, mr. pickypants.

"Did Braveheart run away? Did Payback run away?"

Old Post Jun 4th, 2004 06:51 AM
Click here to Send Creechuur a Private Message Find more posts by Creechuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth KickAss

Smile

Oh goody! Let me confuse ourselfs some more...

Vader could be Afrikaans for Father. Afrikaans is based on dutch but you don't need to know that.

My Opinion:
Vader has nothing to do with father. Maybe it is more like Fader, Chicken out, Lame Ass?

If they say Vader in Father in Ep 3 - then they just made it up.

Maby Vader is like a rank?
Dath Vader
Darth Tyranus
Darth Maul

Last edited by Darth KickAss on Jun 4th, 2004 at 11:21 AM

Old Post Jun 4th, 2004 11:17 AM
Click here to Send Darth KickAss a Private Message Find more posts by Darth KickAss Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

quote:
Originally posted by Darth KickAss
Vader could be Afrikaans for Father. Afrikaans is based on dutch but you don't need to know that.

would you PLEASE read the entire thread? it's said NUMEROUS times that Vader is dutch for father, we KNOW that

and YES, Vader is also Afrikaans for father

djee, the thread is only 3 pages long, it doesn't take time to read it all!

Old Post Jun 4th, 2004 11:24 AM
Darth KickAss

Did you know that Vader is dutch for father!...Better leave now before i get shot or something...

Old Post Jun 4th, 2004 11:50 AM
Click here to Send Darth KickAss a Private Message Find more posts by Darth KickAss Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote