KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » nirvana are one of the worst grunge bands ever

nirvana are one of the worst grunge bands ever
Started by: Fearnix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

I agree 100%.......music is timeless. I love music that was made before my time. My favorite band is the Sex Pistols.......I love Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pink Floyd, AC/DC (Bon Scott)............all before my time.

I was just stating that I wouldn't have any right to go back and declare some band the worst of the sixties or the seventies........because I wasn't there and obviously didn't listen to all the bands of that era to make an informed decision. I'm sure for every band of that era I dislike there are atleast 50 more who are worse than them.......that I've never even heard of.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 05:40 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fearnix
Piggy

i love Pink Floyd they are great

Hey Pig Piggy Pig Pig Pig

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 06:01 PM
Fearnix is currently offline Click here to Send Fearnix a Private Message Find more posts by Fearnix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"I was just stating that I wouldn't have any right to go back and declare some band the worst of the sixties or the seventies........because I wasn't there and obviously didn't listen to all the bands of that era to make an informed decision. "

Some aren't necessary to know although I see your point. If you looked back at bands today in 30 years or 20 years. You would only have to listen to a few to know the best. You wouldn't have to listen to Blink 182 or whatever.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 11:40 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moshtitan
Suffer in Truth

i agree with Evil Dead here. its wrong to judge a band of an era of time you werent around in to experiance,unless you really know or at least try to know all of the bands of a time before making your judgement. and you would have to listen to Blink 182(in ex.) before making a desicion such as calling them one of the worst or best bands of the pop punk genre, because they are in that genre. leaving any bands out of the listening process is a mistake because music is based largley upon opinion. if a person left blink out, they might be leaving out the most amazing bands THEY have ever heard, therefore they wouldnt be making an informed decision.

Never stray from the comon line.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 12:11 AM
moshtitan is currently offline Click here to Send moshtitan a Private Message Find more posts by moshtitan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ronny
Love is Blindness

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Pearl Jam rock... So do Nirvana...
pearl jam kick ass big grin

"After coming into contact with a religious man
I always feel I must wash my hands."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 12:19 AM
Ronny is currently offline Click here to Send Ronny a Private Message Find more posts by Ronny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"if a person left blink out, they might be leaving out the most amazing bands THEY have ever heard, therefore they wouldnt be making an informed decision"

Yeah but that borders on impossibility though man. I haven't and will never read every book there is. But if I read one that I think is my favourite ever, or the best ever. Then I have that right. Because it's not like I can read all the books ever just to say "Right, I've read em all and I now know that I wasn't right in my call." It's impractical man. There could have been one of the best bands during the "Grunge" era, that never even made it out of their Garage and we'd never know about it. I can't go and listen to them so I have to go by what I know. As does everyone. Which is the point of it all.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 03:29 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Golden Moon

NIRVANA was the best grunge band....................................
and kurt cobain was the best of all singers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool

Attachment: images[22].jpg
This has been downloaded 50 time(s).

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 09:20 AM
Golden Moon is currently offline Click here to Send Golden Moon a Private Message Find more posts by Golden Moon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

Nirvana didn't really do much for me at the time. I thought Pearl Jam were much more interesting and worship them to this day. If Kurt hadn't written "Smells like teen spirit" (Which it must be argued is a complete rip off of Boston's "More than a feeling") then Nirvana wouldn't have received half the attention they got.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 10:53 AM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"NIRVANA was the best grunge band....................................
and kurt cobain was the best of all singers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Alice In Chains were the best Grunge band and Chris Cornell was the best Grunge singer by far. He'd split Kurt in half with his vocals.

"Nirvana wouldn't have received half the attention they got."

Yeah but alot of bands have that breakthrough hit. During this time they usually gather fans that are true and end up fading away, sorta like Cave-In did. Gather true fans and shit fans and then find themselves compromising their music for more money. Or they just do as The Darkness have done from all the time after they had their huge worldwide hit "I Believe In A Thing Called Love". They kept all their true fans for the most part. Made a believer out of old naysayers yet have gathered more than the average share of morons.

My point being that Nirvana did the latter. Bit unfair to say that because of that one song they are as highly acclaimed musically as they are. They are highly praised for that song coz for many it started the Grunge movement.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 11:25 AM
Golden Moon

Alpha Centauri SAID..."NIRVANA was the best grunge band....................................
and kurt cobain was the best of all singers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 02:07 PM
Golden Moon is currently offline Click here to Send Golden Moon a Private Message Find more posts by Golden Moon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Golden Moon

and also said...Alice In Chains were the best Grunge band and Chris Cornell was the best Grunge singer by far. He'd split Kurt in half with his vocals.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 02:10 PM
purity

Angry Re: nirvana are one of the worst grunge bands ever

quote:
Originally posted by Fearnix
they suck they had 2 good songs heart shaped box and breed all others suck and they are to over rated mad

edit//

nirvana* embarrasment
what is wronge with you people?Nirvana is one of the bands that gave grunge the name it has, and without them there wouldn't be most of the bands we have today. with that, I disagree, Nirvana is one of the greatest bands around even in todays music.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 04:49 PM
purity is currently offline Click here to Send purity a Private Message Find more posts by purity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I love how you people think your opinions are facts.

I'm with Evil Dead on this whole arguement. I never really classified any band as anything. If I liked the sound, I listened to it. I like Nirvana, Sound Garden AND Alice in Chains just as much as each other.

Big deal, so you don't like Nirvana. You think they are over-rated. Your opinion.

I can't believe how much arrogance is put forward when people "know" they are right.

I like rock music, I play rock music, but I refuse to become some stuck-up music know-it-all who decides to diss a band despite their success. Have these people ever been in a successful band, and made it big? Several very talented friends of mine spent four years tourring in a band, and have recently packed it in because it is THAT hard to get ahead on your musical merits rather than your marketability.

Music snobs, I can't stand 'em, they all have opinions. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and they're usually full of shit.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 07:29 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I love Nirvana. I'm 18, and I grew up listening to Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, etc...that was the music of my childhood. And I still love it.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 07:37 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

Nirvana? Bad? blink

Since when?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 07:43 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I was always one who never really liked Nirvana. It just inst my type of music, but even i respect there music, and can find inspiration in it. Regaurdless of what everyone says about the band, they diddnt want to be a threat, they diddnt want to blow up the punk culture and inspire anarchy. they just wanted to play some music. Nirvana cared about there music, and could give two shits about there image.Kurt was troubled guy who relates to many teens and young adults,I think when he realized this, the drugs, depression, and pressure became to much for him. either way there music is raw and flows with emotion, they diddnt care about slogans, trends or the media eye, in the end they just wanted to play some music, and even though i dont like the genre they did this, and did it well

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 08:09 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spicy_Mchaggis
Evil Man Whore

first of all, pearl jam is not grunge. nirvana does not suck. they might be overrated but they do not suck.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 11:24 PM
Spicy_Mchaggis is currently offline Click here to Send Spicy_Mchaggis a Private Message Find more posts by Spicy_Mchaggis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I was always one who never really liked Nirvana. It just inst my type of music, but even i respect there music, and can find inspiration in it. Regaurdless of what everyone says about the band, they diddnt want to be a threat, they diddnt want to blow up the punk culture and inspire anarchy. they just wanted to play some music. Nirvana cared about there music, and could give two shits about there image.Kurt was troubled guy who relates to many teens and young adults,I think when he realized this, the drugs, depression, and pressure became to much for him. either way there music is raw and flows with emotion, they diddnt care about slogans, trends or the media eye, in the end they just wanted to play some music, and even though i dont like the genre they did this, and did it well

Well said thumb up

I think we can all learn something from Kurt Cobain... He was one of the few celebrities who always remained true to himself and his music.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 11:30 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Golden Moon

kurt cobain was kind of crazy you know killed him self... but as a singer he was very good and original...

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 09:06 AM
finti

quote:
Nirvana is one of the bands that gave grunge the name it has, and without them there wouldn't be most of the bands we have today
examples please!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont just state things without giving some examples to back up the statement

quote:
posted by Spicy_Mchaggis
first of all, pearl jam is not grunge.
strange thing is when Pearl jam got a Grammy for best HardRock act the bassist took the mic and stated "Heavy Rock? we are grunge man, grunge" Peculiar that you know better the genre of Pearl Jam better than the members of the bandroll eyes (sarcastic) big grin

I totally agree with Red Fly and Evil Dead on this matter

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 09:52 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote