KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Dune =Matrix & Star Wars?

Dune =Matrix & Star Wars?
Started by: Superfly4000

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Superfly4000

Shocked Dune =Matrix & Star Wars?

I just finished reading Dune by Frank Herbert and I noticed some similarities it had with the Matrix Trilogy and the Star Wars movies. In connection with the Matrix, both The Matrix and Dune have a central character who is told of in prophecy, they both have great powers and they both have strange visions. In connection with Star Wars and Dune, both take place in a system of thousands of planets, both have main characters that are driven by destiny, and both have the "i am your father" twist to it. Am I just digging to deep, or are there others who feel the same rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 02:09 AM
Superfly4000 is currently offline Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

never seemed that way to me. Either way..they are purely concidental..and a lot of them, somewhat distant, as to not even be considered similarities.
Dune is possibly the greatest sf written...it has a class of it's own. can't compare the three.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 02:35 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Real
I have more tech than you

ok...think abou the matrix for 2 seconds...its a bunch of things from all over the place put together with some new ideas stirred in the bunch...you'll find everything is similar to the matrix, cuz the matrix is similar to everything...just as everything tastes like chicken, all forms of sci-fi will taste sumwhat like the matrix...

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 06:32 AM
Real is currently offline Click here to Send Real a Private Message Find more posts by Real Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OSchan

what about space fighting movies...such as.....starshi troopers .didnt taste matrix there

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 07:18 AM
OSchan is currently offline Click here to Send OSchan a Private Message Find more posts by OSchan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

The first matrix is spun off from martial arts movies (the fight scenes that is). But the rest was original enough to me, sure background story kinda ran parallel with 'the terminator', but no script is perfect. The other two movies i have dismissed from my memory, so i wont say much there.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...&forumid=55

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 07:58 AM
vvvrulz is currently offline Click here to Send vvvrulz a Private Message Find more posts by vvvrulz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

imho people need to stop thinking that everything is based on the matrix or the matrix is based on it, because it's not. that's just how things are.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 06:41 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

not to mention that the book is written waaay before the matrix was

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 07:04 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

And is easily one of the best, if not THE best, sci-fi things written, EVER.

(I'm reading it at the moment, actually big grin)

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 07:22 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Real
I have more tech than you

please stop misinterpreting what i say...the matrix is best looked at as the sum of many ideas fused into a new form of hybrid with a sci-fi martial arts and wutever else u can think of blended together...
but god we dont need to point out all the places the matrix comes from...its just not worth it...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 10:51 PM
Real is currently offline Click here to Send Real a Private Message Find more posts by Real Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Dune is indeed a masterpiece of Sci-fi! yes

I want to see Children of Dune, but I just don't have enough time. Eventually I will one day. happy

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 06:55 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Predator 89

Children of Dune was good on Scifi- but not as good as dune not much action but still good acting/diolugue/specialFX . Rent it though. I give it 4/5 stars

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 07:59 PM
Predator 89 is currently offline Click here to Send Predator 89 a Private Message Find more posts by Predator 89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

I never thought of Dune when I saw neither Matrix or Star Wars.
Driven by destiny is a common theme in epic stories – Like Aragorn in LoTR for example.

(People, who, like myself like Dune will find that has been a great inspiration to Chronicles of Riddick. Still worth seeing, though. Find Eomer smile)

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 10:50 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

oh yes, i thought of chronicles of riddick while reading dune. in fact, i was thinking of a big ole timeline for scifi...posting shortly.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 06:59 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

HELLO!

"Always remember...your focus determines your reality."

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

To know the truth, you must risk everything.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 12:16 PM
Numo is currently offline Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

Hello what?...

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 09:34 PM
Superfly4000 is currently offline Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

Although I do agree with your point hence my title, but I always thought that Equilibrium was a bridge between the two films. I think that after the Episode III that will become more apparent.

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 02:24 PM
Numo is currently offline Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

How is Equilibrium a bridge between The Matrix & Star Wars? That doesn't sound possible...

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 11:44 PM
Superfly4000

But think about it. Don't the Fremen in Dune remind you of the Tusken raiders in Star Wars. Doesn't the Barron Harckonen remind you of Jaba the Hutt. Don't the Benni Jesserit remind you of the Jedi. Doesn't Tatooine remind you of Dune at All!

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 02:58 AM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

No, No, No, and maybe.
1) The Fremen are men (and women) that traveled the galaxy from planet to planet searching for their own home (and actually, it was forced by slave traders) the tusken raiders are just (well, i am not exactly sure what the species is) that lives in the desert of a planet that has no marketable resources, and is only habitated (is that a word? not exactly sure, but too tired right now to check) because it is close to trading lines.
2) Baron Harkonnen, which if you had read the House series,you would know, is only fat because he raped a Bene gesserit and she gave him a venereal disease on purpose, as a reward for his "conquest". Jabba is fat because he finds it to be handsome, and because of his genetics.
3) No, they are similar, but there are differences. such as, the bene gesserit are only female, jedi can be male and female; bene gesserit utilize their minds in such a way that anyone can be trained, whereas jedi must be born jedi. etc.
4) yes, Arrakis and Tatooine are both desert planets, however, there are differences there too. namely, Arrakeen sandworms can travel the sand, and live off the spice (and that which is mining the spice) and the Tatooine sand worm is immobile and eats whatever falls in its gullet. Tatooine is habitable (if it can be called that) all over the planet, whereas one can only live on Arrakis is only habitable on the sand in the northern and southern reaches, where the sand worms can't travel.

in other words, i did think about it, and i disagree. on first glance, yes, there are similarities, but on further examination, obvious differences arise.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 05:08 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

quote:
Originally posted by Superfly4000
How is Equilibrium a bridge between The Matrix & Star Wars? That doesn't sound possible...

Well you see, it is all about the controlling of one's emotions as apposed to letting them control you. You see this in of course in Grammaton Clerical order in Equilibrium, even also in Dune " fear is the mind killer" and all that.

The Jedi order also practice control of emotions in order to clear the mind. The Sith however gain strength and purpose from their emotions, just like the Resistence in Equilibrium.

Also because the Clerics control their emotions they can practice the intuitive arts just like the Jedi and the Oracle in the Matrix.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 04:49 PM