KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why didnt the Mithril Vest NOT protect Frodo from shelob?

Why didnt the Mithril Vest NOT protect Frodo from shelob?
Started by: OrliNElijahsGrl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fan of LOTR
Coolio

Frodo clearly gets stabbed on his front side not his back. And that is just a mistake in the movie so their really is no more to say than its a mistake.

You know what Napolean... You can Leave.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 04:58 PM
Fan of LOTR is currently offline Click here to Send Fan of LOTR a Private Message Find more posts by Fan of LOTR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
elvish_child

kk he was wearing a mithril chain mail not a vest cmon people get into the real world lol.
i know lots about mithril from the game i play. mithril is the 4th best armour. if frodo have weared adamanite it would of only scrathed him a tiny bit. if he worn rune armour there would only b a mark on his chain mail. if he worn dragon armour very rare there would b no scratch and the tip of the dagger would of melted.

SORRY I M JUST A BIG RUNESCAPE FREAK LVL 74 COMBAT 900+ SKILL TOTAL

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 05:36 PM
elvish_child is currently offline Click here to Send elvish_child a Private Message Find more posts by elvish_child Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by elvish_child
i know lots about mithril from the game i play. mithril is the 4th best armour. if frodo have weared adamanite it would of only scrathed him a tiny bit. if he worn rune armour there would only b a mark on his chain mail. if he worn dragon armour very rare there would b no scratch and the tip of the dagger would of melted.

... that's the game version, but not Tolkien's smile

In Middle-earth, Mithril was the best you could get... that's why the dwarves exploited Moria... and woke the balrog... erm

Tolkien usually didn't use tables to find out whether his characters were wounded or not I guess big grin

Interesting that adamant is stronger than mithril Ô_o

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 05:52 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
elvish_child

if they had rune in middle-earth ha if one army gets ahold of that ha . there un-stopable

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 06:19 PM
elvish_child is currently offline Click here to Send elvish_child a Private Message Find more posts by elvish_child Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Lol big grin

They did have runes cut into armours in Middle-earth... especially in the helmets... they also protected their bearers, but rather from things like a dragon's spell (->Glaurung and the Dragonhelm of Dor-lómin) than normal swords probably stick out tongue

And I'd prefer Mithril instead of having to rely on runes big grin

... kinda o/t though smile

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 06:48 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OrliNElijahsGrl
A Proud Ringer

so your saying, whether he did get stabbed on the stomach and the mithril SUPPOSLY was supposed to save him, there wouldnt of been a mark, but...if he got stabbed in the stomach then maybe the mithril didnt go that far, there should of been a mark, ahh all confused!

"There are some things time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold"-Frodo
Watch Lost every Wednesday at 8pm on ABC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 08:29 PM
OrliNElijahsGrl is currently offline Click here to Send OrliNElijahsGrl a Private Message Find more posts by OrliNElijahsGrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
seretur

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Sauron
In the book she stings his neck.

The film version is just a mistake made by Peter 'i like to change' Jackson smile

I think he made it like that because otherwise he would have to create a digital Frodo, and I don't know about you but I don't want to see someone get stebed in the neck by a giant stinner.

allZ - Your Dragonball Store
Tolkien World
The Winning Hand

Old Post Sep 14th, 2004 12:27 AM
seretur is currently offline Click here to Send seretur a Private Message Find more posts by seretur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
daronisgod
Mesmerized & Hypnotized

He didn't get stabbed in the stomach...
he definately didn't get stabbed in the back, were you even watching the right movie.
He got stabbed in his chest above the mithril vest...

(please log in to view the image)

You can clearly see the scar here (the yellowy colored one), is just slightly above where the mithril vest's neckline would have been...

(The other scar is from the Wiki)

In this next shot you can see how low the neckline is... in some shots the neckline appears higher i.e. when he is sat up, but I'm assuming thats because when you are in a sitting position your clothes tend to bunch up and when Shelob stings him he is standing so the neckline is quite low.

So it ISN'T a mistake.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2004 01:41 PM
daronisgod is currently offline Click here to Send daronisgod a Private Message Find more posts by daronisgod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
daronisgod
Mesmerized & Hypnotized

Sorry I was going to edit my message to say that the caps are for emphasis not because I'm shouting, perhaps using bold would have been better, I'm afraid I didn't realise you had to edit your message within 15 mins.

Sorry for double posting but I wanted to make sure people didn't think I was shouting.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2004 02:38 PM
daronisgod is currently offline Click here to Send daronisgod a Private Message Find more posts by daronisgod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
seretur

I thought that the yellow scar was from the troll.

allZ - Your Dragonball Store
Tolkien World
The Winning Hand

Old Post Sep 14th, 2004 07:19 PM
seretur is currently offline Click here to Send seretur a Private Message Find more posts by seretur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
daronisgod
Mesmerized & Hypnotized

quote:
Originally posted by seretur
I thought that the yellow scar was from the troll.

It's looks too fresh to be from the troll it looks like its infected or something, which is why its yellow instead of scar coloured, I'm fairly certain scarring isn't generally that colour on anyone, that is also judging by his other scar which looks quite a lot like his actually skin tone.

So I'm assuming that isn't so much a scar as infected skin around where he was stung, from whatever poison was injected when he was stung.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2004 10:49 PM
OrliNElijahsGrl
A Proud Ringer

that makes sooooooooooooooo much more sense to me now the more i read ur explaination and look at the pics!!! BUT....if he was stabbed in the chest, why does it look like she gets him in the stomach, cause i thought she did, it looks like it

hehehee, maybe it was the viewing...the angle...lol

"There are some things time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold"-Frodo
Watch Lost every Wednesday at 8pm on ABC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Sep 15th, 2004 08:48 PM
OrliNElijahsGrl is currently offline Click here to Send OrliNElijahsGrl a Private Message Find more posts by OrliNElijahsGrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
daronisgod
Mesmerized & Hypnotized

I tried to find a pic of where Shelob is positioned just before she stings him, but the only one I found was really blurry... so I didn't bother posting it, as its not really possible to draw any conclusions from it.

Personally I never got the impression Shelob stabbed him in the stomach, but its hard to say just going from the scene itself, I did get the impression that it was quite high, but I could be wrong.

I'll try and take some screenshots for you tomorrow, to see if we can arrive at a conclusion, but I'm afraid right now I really tired, as I didn't get any sleep last night.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2004 09:19 PM
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

thats a nasty looking scar

Old Post Sep 16th, 2004 06:08 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
daronisgod
Mesmerized & Hypnotized

Ok so I finally got round to taking the screenshots, unfortunately they all came out blurry, so this is the clearest I could get...

To me this shows that he gets stabbed in the chest area, the area where his yellowy-coloured wound is. I think the best way decide for yourself is too watch the scene really closely.

But I believe he was stung above the mithril vest as I demonstrated before, and that the yellow coloured wound is the result and that therefore he must have been stung in the chest area as I have always believed. smile

Old Post Sep 17th, 2004 01:24 PM
Bantache
Beyond Comprehension

I hate to point it out but, your title has a double negative so what your really saying is why did the shirt protect him, which it didn't.

Perhaps Mithril is a stranger substance than it first is made out to be. Perhaps Mordor makes it weaker, or somehow Shelob issued poison as she went to sting Frodo that melted the Mithril that we didn't see.

Thou's wasted days reside on my wasted heart. Dearest one forgive all pretenses. Find with in you the love you once had and stop it turning into venomous hate. I am too far gone, young rose, prove me wrong.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2004 04:21 PM
Bantache is currently offline Click here to Send Bantache a Private Message Find more posts by Bantache Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

eek i never noticed that bout the title ..

Old Post Sep 19th, 2004 07:10 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
daronisgod
Mesmerized & Hypnotized

I noticed.

I prefer my explanation, its more logical.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2004 12:37 PM
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

lol...smile

Old Post Sep 20th, 2004 02:19 PM
flyingsparrow

Cool

if u look closly in fellowship u'll notice that he was scared from the cave trolls. Hence in rotk when he is laying shirtless he has two wounds one on each shoulder one from the morgul blade the other from the spear in moria.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2004 05:00 AM
flyingsparrow is currently offline Click here to Send flyingsparrow a Private Message Find more posts by flyingsparrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote