KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Criterion Thread

Criterion Thread
Started by: Dr. Strangelove

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Criterion Thread

Ive been getting into Criterion releases as they produce excellent DVD's of great movies. Their price tag is a bit high but their worth it. Just wondering what collections of criterions everybody has or what movies they want to add.

Heres mine

Stray Dog

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

Do The Right Thing

The Third Man

Seven Samurai

Grand Illusion

Ill post the criterion movies I want later as their are a lot. big grin

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 02:46 AM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

The only Criterion movie I have is Chasing Amy.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 02:51 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

Criterion is fantastic

I own:

The Adventures of Antoine Doinel

Wild Strawberries

Blood for Dracula

Flesh for Frankenstein

Spartacus

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 08:06 PM
Dario Argento is currently offline Click here to Send Dario Argento a Private Message Find more posts by Dario Argento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

What exactly are the differences between these dvds and any other dvd of the film?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 10:55 AM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

Criterion always gives the best tranfer and audio, plus the extras on them are terrific, especially the audio comenteries.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 04:35 PM
Dario Argento is currently offline Click here to Send Dario Argento a Private Message Find more posts by Dario Argento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Great thread! Yes! I'm also very pleased with the quality that the ppl at the criterion collection have been putting into their DVD's. The only mistake they've done so far was armageddon. I really don't see why the need for a criterion edition. Is a film rather dull and not very original IMO.

Mildpossesion>Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors.

I own these titles:

The Rock
Naked Lunch
Spartacus
Brazil
The Samurai collection
Akira Kurosawa samurai collection
The Royal Tenenbaums
M
Ikiru
The Killer
Kwaidan
Man bites dog
Rashomon
Ali: Fears eat the soul

I will soon be getting these future releases:

Videodrome
The Battle for Algiers
M (2004 re-release new edition)
Eyes without a face
Shadows

Rare, and wanted list:

Salo
Robocop
Traffic
Dead Ringers
Hard Boiled

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 04:47 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Great thread! Yes! I'm also very pleased with the quality that the ppl at the criterion collection have been putting into their DVD's. The only mistake they've done so far was armageddon. I really don't see why the need for a criterion edition. Is a film rather dull and not very original IMO.

Mildpossesion>Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors.

I own these titles:

The Rock
Naked Lunch
Spartacus
Brazil
The Samurai collection
Akira Kurosawa samurai collection
The Royal Tenenbaums
M
Ikiru
The Killer
Kwaidan
Man bites dog
Rashomon
Ali: Fears eat the soul

I will soon be getting these future releases:

Videodrome
The Battle for Algiers
M (2004 re-release new edition)
Eyes without a face
Shadows

Rare, and wanted list:

Salo
Robocop
Traffic
Dead Ringers
Hard Boiled

Nice, I'm trying to hold off buying the old M with the new version in the works. From what Ive read Videodrome sounds very interesting and I also hope to get Slacker when it comes out. The armageddon deal is mostly for criterion to make money on the mainstream market since most of their films aren't for mainstream movie fans. Hear's the criterions I hope to get that are already out.

Ikiru
8 1/2
Eisenstein: The sound years box seat with Ivan the Terrible I and II and Alexander Nevsky
Spartacus
Notorious
The Leopard
Brazil

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 07:26 PM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

I'm really looking forward to Videdrome as well. There are so many criterion releases I wanna own...

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 04:38 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I got it yesterday and I'm extremely happy with what CC did with DVD. It includes a couple of essays on the movie, and two documentaries. Is just superb! I highly recomend this one! David Cronenberg is a genious! thumb up

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 05:25 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
David Cronenberg is a genious! thumb up

yes

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 03:35 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

I woudnt go as far as to call Cronenberg a genius - but he's an underrated director.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 04:20 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Agreed, especially when it comes to "Rabid". thumb down

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 05:34 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

I think I agree.. I don't think I would call him genius either,but Videodrome and Naked Lunch are master pieces in my eyes.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 07:47 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

For me David has a great record of horror/sci-fi movies. I see him as a genious for combining two genres and delivering memorable movies. But going back to the topic of Criterion Collection.....

....anyone reads the essays of the films from the website? I recommend them they go perfectly together with the DVD's. I highly sugest ppl read them. Is more an insight into the films.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 10:29 PM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am so going to have to obtain some of these dvds, I was thinking of getting 8½ because I have yet to get this brilliant film on dvd. So might start with that on Criterion.

Aww didn't know M has been released on this, just got it on 2 disc dvd a few months ago.

Will be checking out those essays WindDancer!!

Also a big fan of Cronenberg films. Ahh The Brood.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2004 05:20 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

the recent 2-disc release is better than the criterion release.

Last edited by Dario Argento on Sep 3rd, 2004 at 06:12 PM

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2004 06:10 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

I have dario to thank for telling me that The Adventures of Antoine Doinel was released. hat/tip.

If anyone has any other hints (such as the 2 disk M being better than the criterion release - more info please!) then lets make use of this thread. We could even start an arts movie thread! Faint!

Old Post Sep 5th, 2004 03:19 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

I just have the Kurosawa four pack: The Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress,
Yojimbo, and Sanjuro. All excellent.....

Old Post Sep 5th, 2004 07:00 PM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
We could even start an arts movie thread!

eek!

Old Post Sep 5th, 2004 07:02 PM
Jedi_Knight
Restricted

Account Restricted

ffff

Revenge Of The Sith

Old Post Sep 6th, 2004 06:47 AM
Jedi_Knight is currently offline Click here to Send Jedi_Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi_Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote