KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Criterion Thread

Criterion Thread
Started by: Dr. Strangelove

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
shugie99

I rented the Criterion DVD of My Own Private Idaho this weekend. It was excellent. They had a separate DVD with deleted scenes and interviews. I am definitley interested in buying some in the future.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2005 08:47 PM
shugie99 is currently offline Click here to Send shugie99 a Private Message Find more posts by shugie99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Excellentthumb up . They're expensive but worth it. I would recommend trying Borders books, or Amazon.com for pretty good prices on Criterion titles.

I'm hoping to buy Eyes Without a Face this weekend. big grin

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Feb 28th, 2005 11:22 PM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Hoop Dreams criterion collection. Can't wait.thumb up

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=289

Old Post Mar 1st, 2005 08:03 PM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Has anybody bought any Criterions lately?

I haven't been able to as all my money is going to music right now, as I need to stock up for my trip to Europe. Hopefully, I'll be able to start buying Criterions when I get back as there have been some great releases.

Anyways, Lord of the Flies is getting Criterion treatment.

http://criterioncollection.com/asp/release.asp?id=43

That cover is ****ing awesome!

Old Post May 6th, 2005 06:24 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I bought some, but not for myself, lol.

Armageddon, The Seventh Seal, Haxon, The Lady Vanishes, and Blood for Dracula all for $30, used. Made a nifty profit. yes

Old Post May 6th, 2005 01:16 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ooo The Seventh Seal, and The Lady Vanishes, nice films.

Old Post May 6th, 2005 02:23 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Traffic isn't that rare on Criterion Edition. I was going to get it but then remembered I felt ill from the camera work, so would hardly ever watch it.

So far I have:

Eyes Without A Face
3 Women

There are lots that I would like, some of them are:

Diabolique
Insomnia
Solaris
The Red Shoes
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Kagemusha (most Akira Kurosawa in CE)
Le Circle Rouge
Short Cuts
The Third Man
Wages of Fear
Youth of the Beast
The Lady Vanishes
Tout Va Bien

and more, found all the ones I want on one site, but too expensive to get a load.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2005 05:59 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Looking forward to Seppuku (Harakiri) Criterion Edition. Another great classic of the Samurai Cinema genre. big grin

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 01:30 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oo yeah heard about that, out in August, so not long to wait. The front cover of the dvd is rather fabulous for the film.

Have not seen the film myself, but gather it's rather good.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 06:00 PM
D00m
Smackrobiotic

Love Criterion and what they do for classic films. So far I own these:

Au hasard Balthazar
Branded To Kill
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Hard Boiled OOP
The Hidden Fortress
Hoop Dreams
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Special Edition Two-Disc Set
Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Straw Dogs OOP
Stray Dog
The Sword Of Doom
Wild Strawberries
Yojimbo

I hope to add
The Seventh Seal
Rashomon
Eyes Without A Face
Gimme Shelter
High And Low
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel
Tokyo Drifter

along with many others.

This is Hip-Hop: A Tribe Called Quest / Big Daddy Kane / De La Soul / Common Sense / Organized Konfusion / Eric B. & Rakim / Marley Marl / The Pharcyde / Public Enemy / Boogie Down Productions / EPMD / Kool G Rap / Brand Nubian / Grandmaster Flash and The Furious 5 / NWA / Main Source / KMD / Farm Fresh / Wu-Tang / Gang Starr / Cormega / Freestyle Fellowship / Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Juice Crew / KRS-One / The Roots / Ultramagnetic MC's / Jungle Brothers / Blackalicious / John Smith / MF Doom / El-P / Supastition / mcenroe / Qwel / Cannibal Ox / Madlib / Company Flow / Black Star / Mr. Lif / Brother Ali / J-Live / O.C. / Count Bass D / I Self Devine

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 10:36 AM
D00m is currently offline Click here to Send D00m a Private Message Find more posts by D00m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Once again Criterion is helping to get more Samurai films into DVD. Look forward to these classics of the genre coming this fall!

Samurai Rebellion
Sword of the Beast
Samurai Spy

And Kihachi Okamoto's classic samurai film Kiru (Kill)

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 09:50 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D00m
Smackrobiotic

^ Yes! I was debating whether I should buy the boxset, or just Samurai Rebellion and Kill!.

One thing is for sure... I'll be getting Le Samouraï big grin

This is Hip-Hop: A Tribe Called Quest / Big Daddy Kane / De La Soul / Common Sense / Organized Konfusion / Eric B. & Rakim / Marley Marl / The Pharcyde / Public Enemy / Boogie Down Productions / EPMD / Kool G Rap / Brand Nubian / Grandmaster Flash and The Furious 5 / NWA / Main Source / KMD / Farm Fresh / Wu-Tang / Gang Starr / Cormega / Freestyle Fellowship / Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Juice Crew / KRS-One / The Roots / Ultramagnetic MC's / Jungle Brothers / Blackalicious / John Smith / MF Doom / El-P / Supastition / mcenroe / Qwel / Cannibal Ox / Madlib / Company Flow / Black Star / Mr. Lif / Brother Ali / J-Live / O.C. / Count Bass D / I Self Devine

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 10:16 PM
D00m is currently offline Click here to Send D00m a Private Message Find more posts by D00m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Everybody should check out the F for Fake Criterion. It is a great Orson Welles film. Right up there with Citizen Kane for me.

Also Man Bites Dog. Criterion has done better in the feature department but $30 is worth it for one of the most amazing movie experiences you'll ever have.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 06:56 AM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Also Man Bites Dog. Criterion has done better in the feature department but $30 is worth it for one of the most amazing movie experiences you'll ever have

I have been wanting to replace my video with the dvd of the film, didn't realise it was on Criterion Edition, will look into that.

Since I last posted in here I have got a little collection of Criterions going, have about 20 of the dvds at the moment, but lots and lots I would like on Criterion Edition. So prettyyyyyy. My favourite out of the lot is The Lady Vanishes, glad to have the film on Criterion.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 06:59 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Heads up Everyone!

Criterion will be re-releasing Traffic on a 2 disc DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6-0312003?n=130

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 11:05 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

$40? No way.

What they need to do is re-release Salo. Big money waiting there.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 11:18 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Traffic 2 disc Criterion looks interesting, $31 some places.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 11:58 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

DVD Empire has it for $27.87. I'm getting a copy today. But might pay extra...don't want to order it online.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 08:28 PM
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

I have The Life Aquatic Criterion Edition, monster good extras. Got it for £7 or $3.75

ANchor Bay Dvd's aint too bad either

Old Post Mar 12th, 2006 05:33 PM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I only got the 1 disc criterion edition of Life Aquatic, worth getting the 2 disc version because I adore the film.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2006 11:01 PM