KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Review : "Alien vs Predator"

Review : "Alien vs Predator"
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Alien vs Predator"

"Alien Vs Predator"

"AVP" is set in the year 2004, where a group of archaeologists spanning the world over are gathered by one Mr. Wayland, played by "Alien" staple, the obviously aging Lance Henriksen. After picking up an unusual heat pattern in the middle of the Antarctic, Wayland funds this group of up and coming scientists to aid his research.

The group of rag tag explorers delve deep, hundreds of feet under the surface of Antarctica, where they stumble upon what looks to be a Mayan/Aztec temple. In the hunter's backstory, Alien pods were actually brought to the temple by the Predators, and used as guinea pigs for the Predator youth to hunt, and gain experience, as part of their right of passage. Needless to say, it's payback time.

Going into the movie, soon after learning of it's PG-13 rating, I lost a lot of hope for the movie initially. What I got was 100 minutes of rock em,' sock 'em, Sci Fi eyecandy.

The acting, while not the draw of the movie, pushed the movie along quite nicely. It was reminiscent of the previous "Alien" movies; the typical "group exploration" plot. This time, no corny one-liners, no overacting, and they were equipped with the most primitive of weapons. It added a nice dose of realism that was lacking in the other 2 franchises respective sequels.

As for the CGI, I feared that like so many other newer Sci Fi flicks, men in suits had gone the way of the dinosaur. Not so, the new costume design of the Young Predator crew was fantastic, especially the updated oxygen masks. The Dog Aliens, thankfully, were just as I remembered them in "Alien 3." The overall special effects remained true to the original movies, which I appreciated. i.e. Predator's cloaking, the plasma cannon explosions, etc.)

Ahhhh. The "showdown." It's fair to say that the two species were evenly matched, which may surprise some of you. Of course, there is the issue of the 5 Predator youth undergoing their right of passage, and being green to hunting, as well as being subsequently outnumbered, thanks in part to the Alien Queen [SPOILER - highlight to read]: who was in status underground before being revived by electrocution, gearing up the Alien pod factory once again.

Surprisingly, there was a lot of dismemberment, gore, and elements of all out war in this flick, thanks to the respective creatures having acidic and green blood being somewhat exempt from the MPAA ratings system. Oh, of course, there was a ton of action, most of which was delivered in the 3rd act.

The movie even had some character development! Playing on Predator's creed of hunting for sport only, Sanaa Lathan, the lead character, in a tense scene where she's in an isolated corridor [SPOILER - highlight to read]: attempts to befriend the Predator youth by sacrificing one of their plasma cannons, in which Wayland had taken as a souvenir. In doing so, the Predator understood she meant no harm. The two were ambushed by an Alien, which she took out on her own, solidifying her "enemies enemy is my friend" approach. In turn, Predator expressed gratitude by making crude weapons for her from the Alien's remains.

Of course, anticipation coupled with set up in the first act of the movie kind of had me a little squirmy, knowing what I REALLY came to see the movie for. There were typical lulls in dialogue, as well a little tension stemming from a cast of virtual unknowns. All subsequent qualms and uneasiness faded away soon after I saw a gang of 3 Predators, an a Infared scan of the temple, and it's "surprise guests." There was a very "old school" feeling throughout this movie which patched up the bumps in the road, which are standard in Sci Fi cinema, as well as most summer blockbusters.

Overall, there's no need to recommend this to Alien and Predator fans. Your tickets were bought days in advance. Everyone else? If you're just looking for some more mindless summertime Sci Fi fun, I recommend you see "AVP," ASAP.

8/10

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Aug 13th, 2004 at 08:59 PM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 08:56 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

8/10? That's awesome, I've been somewhat excited for this movie, but also expecting it to suck. A positive review from you is quite uplifting. I'll definately go see it tonight.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 08:58 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Great Movie,I thought it was going to suck to but it turned out staying to the originals of both franchises.Leaving the Aliens spooky and mysterious at first,and letting the Predators have alot of action.

4/5

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 10:52 PM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

PG-13? cool, that means it's will be rated M in my country, for you see, if in your country it was R then here it would be R16, and I wouldn't be able to get into it since I'm underage, even WITH an adult.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 11:22 PM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloomBabyGirl
Bond....James Bond

so who won....

bitches bow down

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 11:24 PM
BloomBabyGirl is currently offline Click here to Send BloomBabyGirl a Private Message Find more posts by BloomBabyGirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

A couple of reviews that I have read, surprisingly favorable, says it has to be one of the most violent PG-13 rated movies of all time.

To which I give an astounding "Hell, yeah!". Happy Dance

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 11:24 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by BlackC@t
PG-13? cool, that means it's will be rated M in my country, for you see, if in your country it was R then here it would be R16, and I wouldn't be able to get into it since I'm underage, even WITH an adult.

Why dont you just "sneek in"? no expression

Ca,Probaly erm

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 12:31 AM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirtyducky

i think the movie looks dumb stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 01:27 AM
dirtyducky is currently offline Click here to Send dirtyducky a Private Message Find more posts by dirtyducky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
COTTON MAN
Restricted

Account Restricted

Screew u all. Ill give this movie 10/10. The tralersd pics the hole dam thing looks cool.

I regreat only having 1 life time to waste on games.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 01:29 AM
COTTON MAN is currently offline Click here to Send COTTON MAN a Private Message Find more posts by COTTON MAN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
COTTON MAN
Restricted

Account Restricted

What looks dumb what kind of bong r u on. This film looks like its going to be the movie this year. Well I think it will be. I saw the making of it on a dvd, the prediters are people in suits but not when thay take there mask of. The aliens are robots there 2 typps of face hugers differenrt typps of guns for the prediters and they even have swords, how can that be dumb

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 01:39 AM
COTTON MAN is currently offline Click here to Send COTTON MAN a Private Message Find more posts by COTTON MAN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by hezzy_baby
i think the movie looks dumb stick out tongue

well that dosent mean much coming from a person with Orlando Bloom in thier sig stick out tongue

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 02:52 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

^laughing out loud

quote:
Originally posted by COTTON MOUTH
What looks dumb what kind of bong r u on. This film looks like its going to be the movie this year. Well I think it will be. I saw the making of it on a dvd, the prediters are people in suits but not when thay take there mask of. The aliens are robots there 2 typps of face hugers differenrt typps of guns for the prediters and they even have swords, how can that be dumb

WO WO dude slow down.Movie of the year?Do you watch many movies? or are you just easily amused.Oh yeah and the stuff you saw was probaly on a Fox dvd.That is the crappiest making of the movie out there erm

The movies awesome but dont go giving it serious titles like "Movie of the Yeat" or a 10/10 unless you've seen it already.The film has its flaws erm

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 03:00 AM
Emma718
posthuman

I can't wait to see the movie, i evenhave the Alien VS Predator desktop, were you can download from the site!

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 03:00 AM
Emma718 is currently offline Click here to Send Emma718 a Private Message Find more posts by Emma718 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

eek!

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 03:40 AM
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

I give it a 8(.2)/10

Excellent action, great fights, and like stated, even some character development.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I must say though, the other Predators seemed to go too quick, as well as the humans. But the Queen was marvelous. smile

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 04:33 AM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah I felt the story and the characters death's where rushed because it was a 90 minutes flick but still good smile

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 04:36 AM
COTTON MAN
Restricted

Account Restricted

WO WO dude slow down.Movie of the year?Do you watch many movies? or are you just easily amused.Oh yeah and the stuff you saw was probaly on a Fox dvd.That is the crappiest making of the movie out there

The movies awesome but dont go giving it serious titles like "Movie of the Yeat" or a 10/10 unless you've seen it already.The film has its floors

True. I was overreacting but she said it loked dumb. and it it was on a dvd.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 05:07 AM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then you should've just said "It looks good" no expression

I know it was on a dvd,probaly something from fox.It probaly had trailers of "The Day After Tomorrow","Man On Fire" or the making of "Dodgeball" am I right.The making of it is crap erm

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 06:09 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Lets keep this limited to reviews, people. There is an "AVP" General Discussion thread in the Horror section.

Thanks.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 06:27 AM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dude dont be like G.P just let us discuss what we want.It hard to just move your whole discussion to the horror forum erm

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 06:42 AM