KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Review : "Alien vs Predator"

Review : "Alien vs Predator"
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

CA is right, this thread is only for reviews, as are all threads in the movie review section. If you have anything else to discuss, use the all purpose thread for whatever movie you want to discuss.

Anyways, I saw this movie tonight and was somewhat disapointed. I thought it was way to slow, nothing happened in the first 45 minutes really, which is too bad because it's a short movie. No one goes to see this movie for 45 minutes of storyline. I would have been more satisfied had there been no humans at all, and only Aliens and Predators. That also would have been more creative and ballsy, but oh well.

The plot was pretty much nonexistant. Predators hunt Aliens, that's all you need to know going into this movie, and that's all that's ever explained too us. Kinda wierd when the first half of the movie is all talking.

The effects were neat, it was nice to see them use robots for the Aliens as much as possible, rather then all CGI. Also, the fights were well done. But the cheese factor in teh movie is astounding. But, I shouldn't be surprised by that.

Anyway, I can't really recommend this flick unless you're a die hard Alien or Predator fan. If you do go see it, expect 45 mintues of generic story and cliche dialogue, followed by 45 minutes of action.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 07:45 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

You think it was to slow?I thought it was too fast.They rushed us into this whole thing and didnt even give us much of a storyline or background on the characters erm

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 08:13 AM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by Stormy Day
Dude dont be like G.P just let us discuss what we want.It hard to just move your whole discussion to the horror forum erm

Well, considering it is MY THREAD TO BEGIN WITH, I figured maybe I would be the one to suggest how the thread is run?

Take the off topic conversations to the Horror forum, and lets try and get back on track. cool

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Aug 14th, 2004 at 09:03 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 09:00 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I need to get this off my chest.....

How could they do this to Predator??? OMG the last 30 minutes of the film were absurd, lame, and has been done a thousand times in other films.

I mean come on......[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The Predator and that cheap actress running away from an explosion! That was stupid filmaking! ! This isn't the Predator from the classic film in which our beloved Governator (jk) was involved! Since when the Hell does the Predator [SPOILER - highlight to read]: needs the help of a human being to hunt his prey?

Onto the movie.......

....actually there isn't much to say, but this; Archeological team goes to Antartica to find an old pyramid, and the Aliens fight the Predators.

That's pretty much it.

The highlight of the film was of course the first fight between The predator and the Alien and the winner in that round was...
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Aliens! Yaay! They rule! after that.....that was it.

As a mention earlier the downfall of the film were the last 30 mins in which [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The predator and the woman team up to fight the Alien That was totally lame!

Sorry for the caps but.....

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: IS SUPPOSE TO BE ALIENS VS. PREDATOR! NOT ALIENS VS. PREDATOR AND WOMAN. That pretty much KILL the movie.

This film gets an 2.2 out of 5.

The idea of Predator vs. Aliens is beyond cool....but the film FAIL to accomplish that.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Aug 14th, 2004 at 03:43 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 03:41 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I just got back from seeing AvP. I believe overall the movie was a success, but for less reasons than what made it a dissapointment for me. First i will start with the good.

Good.
The creature and set design was amazing. Anderson really went all out to give the fans what we expected to see when it came to the aliens and predator. The action was both good and bad. When it was Good it was GOOD (unfortunately there wasnt that much good) Another thing i believe Anderson succeeded on was setting an atmosphere very remiscant of what made the original alien films so good, and that is the feeling of being closed in and trapped. Last but not least the best thign about the movie was the presence that the aliens and predators had on screen

BAD
Now there are many bad aspects, but many i disregaurd because i understand that this was a fan film and wasnt meant for much more. However , I could not over look the lack of dialogue. Now i know that there really wouldnt have been much sense in introducing character depth to the humans seeing how they diddnt last long, but there was a large group of expeditioners and we only see about five of them and learn five of there names. I had no relationship with the characters and could care less what happend to them. The acting was poor. I know the characters were poorly written, But the acting was just as poor. There is a scene where a group of expeditioners are attacked by predators, They dont know what is attacking them, only that people are dying, then they get seperated and no one even acknowledges what just happend. The story was very rushed, it started out seeming to focus a great deal on the plot, but then about 40 minutes into the film we had nothing. Now on to the action, the action was good whenever you could tell what was going on. Now for the worst part. The film is called AvP. Where was all the fighting? There is only three battles between the two. Two of which are not even five minutes in length. Overall i believe it was a success because the people involved really cared and did give us a fun ride, but that is all it was. It seems Anderson was scared to take any risks. When i first heard the movie was 1 hour and 27 minutes i was like bewildered, but then i understood if it were any longer it would have been unbearable 5.5/10 ( just because i am such a fan of these two)

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Aug 14th, 2004 at 06:06 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 06:01 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

as wild dancer pointed out the last 30 minutes were absurd and have been done many times before in movies. These two franchises have been a staple for suspense and heart stopping endings. The last half hour of the film was taking the safe way out, or well more probable just a way to end a film that the writers had no idea how to end.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 06:04 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
I mean come on......[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The Predator and that cheap actress running away from an explosion! That was stupid filmaking! ! This isn't the Predator from the classic film in which our beloved Governator (jk) was involved! Since when the Hell does the Predator [SPOILER - highlight to read]: needs the help of a human being to hunt his prey?

Sounds like you're hung up on the team-up. Would you prefer they stay in the pyramid and commit suicide? stick out tongue The reason the young Predator [SPOILER - highlight to read]: blew up the temple was because they were grossly outnumbered. I don't believe the Predator needed her help, per se, but after giving up the plasma cannon, showing Predator she posed no threat, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: he had his back turned, Sanaa Lathan speared the ambushing Alien. Two key factors that played up to the "enemy of my enemy is my ally" creedo, and what drove the last act of the movie. He just saw her as "one of the guys", [SPOILER - highlight to read]: especially after marking herself with her prey.

Besides, there is no comparing the endings of "AVP" and the original "Predator". Two totally different scenarios going on there.
I, for one, appreciated the character development in the Predator character, showing that they are much more primal than we'd think.

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

However, I could not over look the lack of dialogue. I had no relationship with the characters and could care less what happend to them. The acting was poor. There is a scene where a group of expeditioners are attacked by predators, They dont know what is attacking them, only that people are dying, then they get seperated and no one even acknowledges what just happend. The story was very rushed, it started out seeming to focus a great deal on the plot, but then about 40 minutes into the film we had nothing.

What dialogue and great acting are you looking for from a cast of nobodies in a summer movie geared towards a nominal audience? They spent the first 30 hour gabbing about their expedition. The whole expedition gimmick was nothing but a ploy to usher in the main plot of the movie to begin with, so caring for the characters was the least of our concerns. Alien and Predator fans go to see carnage, not compassion.

I don't see how the story was rushed at all, given as there was hardly a story to begin with. There's an unusual heat pattern, they spend the first 30 minutes talking about it, taking the trip there, and then they stumble upon the pyramid, which brings us to the 2nd act/plot, Alien vs Predator.
Was it that hard to comprehend? It was a swift movie, but rushed, no way. Anyone that had researched this movie knew what was going to happen.

Once again, I think there are alot of people expected way too much from a hit and miss director, a cast of virtual no name actors, and a paper thin plot. It was supposed to be a fun flick, hell, I loved it because I didn't expect anything to begin with.

By the way... exactly what in the end of "AVP" had been done before in movies? There were a few significant happenings in the end, a few of which were very unique, and I'd like some clarification.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 07:00 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ive always known that about the Predator they not really mean beings.They kill humans for a sport and keep there skulls just like we would kill a lion and keep there skins.erm

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 07:34 PM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I for one loved the movie. I loved how the Predators were defensless against the Aliens without their guns. The first two Predators that got taken out just showed u how powerful an alien is, and how young the predators were. I didnt really like that one Alien took out 2 predatorsno That other predator was the greatest hunter, but then again, u saw how it was a younger one, for it got caught off guard by that face hugger. Ya, at the end when the PredAlien came out of his chest, that makes the possibility of a sequal very realsmile

Last edited by GangusGrievous on Aug 14th, 2004 at 08:11 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 08:09 PM
GangusGrievous is currently offline Click here to Send GangusGrievous a Private Message Find more posts by GangusGrievous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Don't take this the wrong way but you wrote:

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Lets keep this limited to reviews, people. There is an "AVP" General Discussion thread in the Horror section.

Thanks.

To add to my review let me say that ending was waaaaay to predictable. Either 20 Century Fox doesn't learn about it's mistakes or they just don't know what the Hell they doing.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 08:12 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Heathsaid

I loved the movie, it would of been prefect if the ending was a 'little' different

kissy kissy

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 08:48 PM
Heathsaid is currently offline Click here to Send Heathsaid a Private Message Find more posts by Heathsaid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah they should've had a big war..that would've been sweet cool

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 10:11 PM
Bagtatta

Has no one noticed that this movie goes against the ORIGINAL Predator storyline?

The Predator hunts humans, cause he can..he shouldn't give a shit if she's a fellow Alien killer. That's part of his job, TO HUNT HUMANS, just like part of his job in this movie is to wreck Aliens..

The fact that he teamed up with the girl was disgraceful to the Predator franchise. The Aliens were very bad-ass. But they made the Predators out to be a ***** race, they got there ass kicked for the most part except for the last one.. Despite what many said the matrix-like facehugger camera shots were cool, I thought and it didn't even feel like a matrix shot, it felt more like he was just trying to show how the facehuggers look and move.

It wasn't horrible but it was decent, nothing special. Had so much potential..but it was ruined. It's a shame.

4/10

Last edited by Bagtatta on Aug 14th, 2004 at 11:09 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 11:06 PM
Bagtatta is currently offline Click here to Send Bagtatta a Private Message Find more posts by Bagtatta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Predator didnt reall team up with the girl just didnt kill her because she opposed no threat to him,and it really doesnt disgrace either franchises.I think fans will happy,but theres always gonna be people out that are gonna find little mistakes in it to complain about those people just cant be pleased. erm

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 11:14 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer

To add to my review let me say that ending was waaaaay to predictable. Either 20 Century Fox doesn't learn about it's mistakes or they just don't know what the Hell they doing.

I never saw the lone Predator ever overcome by a facehugger, subsequently, couldn't predict that outcome. It was more or less Alien's way of getting the last punch in. If that were to act as an open ending to a sequel, it's a pathetic one, seeing as how [SPOILER - highlight to read]: one little chestburster doesn't stand a chance against a shipfull of elder Predators.

I'm only replying to other peoples reviews, which is perfectly alright. The "off topic" conversations I was looking to avoid were one line "It sucks" replies, and people flaming one another.

quote:
Originally posted by Bagtatta
Has no one noticed that this movie goes against the ORIGINAL Predator storyline?

The Predator hunts humans, cause he can..he shouldn't give a shit if she's a fellow Alien killer. That's part of his job, TO HUNT HUMANS, just like part of his job in this movie is to wreck Aliens..

I didn't notice, because you're totally wrong.

Predator only engages in combat when provoked, which can be as little as someone brandishing a weapon in their general direction. That's why Alexa was unharmed after [SPOILER - highlight to read]: surrendering her firearm.. Furthurmore, after she [SPOILER - highlight to read]: took out that ambushing Alien Predator saw her as the closest thing to an ally as he had, and vice versa given [SPOILER - highlight to read]: EVERYONE ELSE WAS FRIGGIN' DEAD!

You guys must have not been paying attention to the movie close enough, becuase this is the 3rd time I've had to explain it, lol.

Re-watch the end of "Predator 2". After Danny Glover uses the Predator's razor disc against him, and defeats him fair and square, the Honor Council appeared and he dropped the disc, they left him alone, because he had won fair and square, and had no intention of fighting anyone else.

Predator, like Stormy already said, isn't some savage. They play within the rules of their own game. Hit me and I'll hit you back. Aliens, on the other hand, are looking to breed by any means necessary.

So, this was no "dishonor" to the Predator franchise. It's an expansion of character, which has probably been well documented in the 14 year history of this franchise.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Aug 15th, 2004 at 12:05 AM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 12:03 AM
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

I'm sorry if this qualifies as "discussion", but everyone's badmouthing the Yaujta (Predator) / Human relation. The truth is, the most important thing to Predator's is the hunt and HONOR. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: If she saved his life, it was his DUTY to protect or fight with her. erm Just would like to point that out. Notice how he didn't want to [SPOILER - highlight to read]: kill Weyland? Exactly. stick out tongue

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 12:40 AM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
Originally posted by Bagtatta

The fact that he teamed up with the girl was disgraceful to the Predator franchise.

4/10
Man, The predator race has teamed up with humans many a time to beat the aliens ass read some comics man

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 02:22 AM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Like CA said dont think that the Predators are savages and think that they killed everybody they see without a reason.If you think that then you are seriouslly not going to like this movie,because so far the people that ive talked to didnt like the fact that the[SPOILER - highlight to read]: predator teamed up with the human

Anyways Predator 2 sucked erm

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 06:09 AM
jinXed by JaNx

I mean seriously, if that is why you dont like this movie because the predator teamed up witht the human, that is just great an utter bullshit. Anderson had nothing to go on when making this film, but as a fan He has read many alien vs predator books as i'm sure you all have right ?
where A female does infact combine forces with te predator in the classic original Aliens V.S predator comics which have sapwned many books. such as prey, and many others. If you diddnt like the movie because of that one little fact that was a great Shout out to the true alien V.S predator fans that Anderson knew what he was doing and that he was going to delivere. Then i just understand your mentality on what a good movie is. He even left open the possibility for a sequal , so if if all you true AvP fans want more mayhem and carnage you will go see the films a second and third time. I went into this movie wanting to like it so much that i found so many personal critiecs to not like it. This was my problem, now your problem is to go out and see this movie, tell your friends tose it, so we can have more of this aliens vs. predator great shit.

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Aug 15th, 2004 at 06:26 AM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 06:21 AM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

No more sequals no just leave it the way it is.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 06:37 AM