KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » You like religion here...so....

You like religion here...so....
Started by: Papaumau

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Papaumau
Man of the world

Miffed You like religion here...so....

Do any of you believe that the state should allow the religious powers to dictate that single-denomination faith-schools should be provided so that each individual religion get's taught alongside the other three Rs.

OR... like in America... should the state and religion stay completely separate...especially in our primary school system ?

Click my sig'-pic' to go to my forum
and attached consumer website

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:26 AM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
that each individual religion get's taught alongside the other three Rs
other 3 R? hmmmmmmmm which 3 would that be?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:29 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

Why...reading, riting and rithmatic of course ! smart

It's OK Finti...it's only a saying !

Last edited by Papaumau on Aug 25th, 2004 at 09:43 AM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:41 AM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

oh ok I thought it was 3 religions big grin.
Well in Norway they do teach chrisitainity from grade 1 - 10. And that the fact that The Lutheran Protestant church is the state church as well you know where the way of teaching goes. Now if the parents dont want to let their kids participate in those classes there are alternatives to what they are thought, like lifestyle and so on. at it sums up to is those taken out of the christianity lessons end up in goofing up lessons (like the lifestyle thingie).
I went through school with 9 years of chrisitianity so I kind of chocked on it after a while

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 09:59 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

Hmmmmmmmmm....It's different in Norway than here !

In Britain we have the "state" schools which are multi-denominational but are built around a vague Christian base. Then we have the state-funded single-faith schools, most of which are Roman Catholic. Then we have a few, ( a very few ), single-faith state-funded Jewish, Muslim and Sikh religion schools.

There is a large body of protest, ( of which I am a part ), against the teaching of one single religion to the detriment of all of the others in STATE education.

We feel that if the religious enclaves want to teach their single religion at primary level they should not do it with state finance or do it in state school buildings. We feel that each single religion should be taught by the priests and the ministers in the places of worship and not in the state schools.

We believe this as we are of the opinion that teaching single religions to children while they are supposed to be learning the "three Rs" is divisive and creates a religious apatheid that is unfair to these children.

If religion is to be taught in British state-schools then it should be an awareness of ALL religions and not specific to just one...including Christianity !

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 10:15 AM
Fire

In Belgium it depends, you have state schools, who supply you with either Roman-Catholic believes or Morals (morals is for atheists) and more recently also the islam was added.

then you have private schools (who get their income from somewhere other than the state) most of these are roman-catholic (like the ones me and yerss went too) others are muslim or atheist, plenty of choice for everyone.

Very few of the roman-catholic schools are highly religious tho

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 10:21 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

quote:
Originally posted by Fire
then you have private schools (who get their income from somewhere other than the state) most of these are roman-catholic (like the ones me and yerss went too) others are muslim or atheist, plenty of choice for everyone.

I categoricly deny these accusations of me being catholic no expression

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 10:27 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

never said you were catholic I said the school was roman catholic

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 12:13 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

In the US you've got public schools, where religion isn't taught (due to seperation of church of state...though saying that it's not taught is kind of misleading, I'll go into it in a bit), private schools (often high schools that concentrate on a specific subject -- math&science or the arts are the usual ones...though sometimes they're just a private school that's not a religious one), and parochial schools (which for the most part are Catholic). I went to a public high school, but I had nearly gone to a private high school that concentrated on the arts (too far away and too expensive, though), and I had a number of friends that went to Catholic school.

From what I understand, at Catholic schools they have prayers and such every day and church services, but they also learn about other religions, too, and you're not required to be Catholic to attend one -- one of my friends who went to a Catholic high school was a downright atheist. But no one can deny that for the most part, they ARE the top of the US school system.

When I said that religion isn't allowed to be taught at public schools, though, that isn't quite 100% correct. Basically what seperation of church and state means is that in a public school, you're not allowed to set aside time during the day for prayer, not allowed to teach that one religion is better than another, etc. If you're in a philosophy or history class, though, religion will come up, especially if it's a world history class. I took European history, Eastern Asian history, and US history, so I learned bits about Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Confucious (I think I spelled that right), Shintoism...etc. But what we were taught about these religions or philosophies what basically how they started out, how they effected history, their influences on cultures, and their influences today. We only learned a brief outlining of each religion/philosophy's beliefs (and I remember many the debate in my Asian studies class about whether or not it is possible to actually achieve Nirvana...but I'll not go into that). This, I believe is necessary for a history class, because if you know a bit about an area's religion or philosophy, it helps in understanding the culture and people and history of that area.

But do I think that there should be schools that teach only one religion, excluding all others? No.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 01:25 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Well about religion in public schools here... I don't know if this is the case in Illinois, Trin, but we have a lot of religious types around here who are constantly pestering the school board about this and that. Over in Springfield (which is a smaller town a few miles away from where I live... I know this because my mom works in a public school there), the public schools aren't allowed to put up Halloween decorations or have parties for the younger kids because it's "satanic". That's not really a very big deal, but get this--it is REQUIRED now that they celebrate Christmas in some way. Even if the teacher is Jewish or Islamic or something. Fortunately I think Eugene is pretty safe from that, since the religious people who do live here are always commenting on how it's full of "non-believers".... And hey the Oregon school system is so ****ed up anyways it's not like it makes a big difference stick out tongue

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:24 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

My personal opinion is that we should keep religion in churches, synagogues, cathedrals, temples, or whatever in those places. We should keep Education in schools. I really don't see a reason to keep Church and school in the same place.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:26 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

true WindDancer, but when religious organisations pay for the education you can expect they want something in return.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:31 PM
TowelTarpin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice sig

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:33 PM
TowelTarpin is currently offline Click here to Send TowelTarpin a Private Message Find more posts by TowelTarpin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Well, thats the school board system at fault. Whoever runs the system *cough*politics*cough should held responsible. Anyways, if a kid can't tell the difference between a crucifix and a microscope than the parents must step in and say "Hey! I want my kid to learn NOT to be convert"

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:36 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Well about religion in public schools here... I don't know if this is the case in Illinois, Trin, but we have a lot of religious types around here who are constantly pestering the school board about this and that. Over in Springfield (which is a smaller town a few miles away from where I live... I know this because my mom works in a public school there), the public schools aren't allowed to put up Halloween decorations or have parties for the younger kids because it's "satanic". That's not really a very big deal, but get this--it is REQUIRED now that they celebrate Christmas in some way. Even if the teacher is Jewish or Islamic or something. Fortunately I think Eugene is pretty safe from that, since the religious people who do live here are always commenting on how it's full of "non-believers".... And hey the Oregon school system is so ****ed up anyways it's not like it makes a big difference stick out tongue

Wow, that's pretty screwed up...at my high school we didn't celebrate any holidays but Halloween...and basically all we did for that was we were allowed to wear costumes (the teachers did it, too), and teachers would give out candy or something, that was it. Sometimes individual classes or clubs would do something (like in my German class, and I know the French classes did this too, we'd get candy and stuff on St. Nicholas Day, and the German Club always decorated a Christmas tree in the teachers lounge). But then again, little old Brookfield with it's two elementary schools and single middle school (my high school wasn't even in my town) isn't a particularly religious town...

(but I'm not even going to go into the hell one of the school clubs, the Gay-Straight Alliance, got from parents...roll eyes (sarcastic) )

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:39 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TowelTarpin
Restricted

Account Restricted

What the **** are you talking about? You are not even making any sense. You should go to the bathroom, look in the mirror and look yourself in the eyes and say "There goes a stupid, stupid human being."

As a matter of fact, the next time you are in the bathroom, you will remember this post and look in the mirror and say "There goes a stupid, stupid human being."

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:40 PM
TowelTarpin is currently offline Click here to Send TowelTarpin a Private Message Find more posts by TowelTarpin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

it ain't that bad in belgium trust me, a lot of ppl who graduate from a catholic school grow up to be non-catholics.

Our school system has always worked like that and it will continue to work like that for decades to come. You can also go to state schools they don't teach religion unless you want too.

Religion (mostly christianity) is such an important factor in the history of europe, that most of european society is filled with it. It is very hard to try and avoid the influence of Christianity as a whole in Europe, it is in fact nearly impossible.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:40 PM
Peach
mordrem

quote:
Originally posted by Fire

Religion (mostly christianity) is such an important factor in the history of europe, that most of european society is filled with it. It is very hard to try and avoid the influence of Christianity as a whole in Europe, it is in fact nearly impossible.

Exactly, I mentioned that in my first post.

(and just a note...had I lived actually in Chicago, I would have gone to a Catholic school, instead of a public school)

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:43 PM
TowelTarpin
Restricted

Account Restricted

You're an idiot.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:44 PM
Fire

okie quite a bit of important info here:

From what I understand, at Catholic schools they have prayers and such every day and church services, but they also learn about other religions, too, and you're not required to be Catholic to attend one -- one of my friends who went to a Catholic high school was a downright atheist.

In Belgium we don't have prayers every day (some old teachers used to say a prayer or make a crusifix but nothing organized) we learned about other religions more than we learned about christianity (maybe it was because of my teachers) and no you do not have to be a catholic to be allowed in a catholic school.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2004 02:47 PM