KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Death Star or Star Forge?

Which was a bigger threat to the galaxy?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Death Star 12 33.33%
Star Forge 24 66.67%
Total: 36 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Death Star or Star Forge?
Started by: Morgoths_Wrath

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lucius
Unknown

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tangible God
I hope you are discluding NJO from your ROCKS statement.

Here here!

Old Post Sep 10th, 2005 07:37 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The Star Forge could produce endless ships--yeah.

But the Death Star would have to fire only once to take the SF out.

Not to mention, the Ships have to have their crew put on board, fired up, launched, and actually take the time to destroy the Death Star which by all acounts appears bigger than the SF. In that time, the Death Star would have blown the SF to Smitherines about 5 times.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2005 07:38 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

The Star Forge could produce endless ships--yeah.

But the Death Star would have to fire only once to take the SF out.

Not to mention, the Ships have to have their crew put on board, fired up, launched, and actually take the time to destroy the Death Star which by all acounts appears bigger than the SF. In that time, the Death Star would have blown the SF to Smitherines about 5 times.

Uh, actually... The Death Star has a cooling time in between shots that ranges from a full day (The original) to several hours (the second incarnation, as seen over Endor).

We have no idea how quickly the Star Forge can manufacture ships. To be bloody honest, we have no idea just what else it can manufacture, although ships, weapons, armor, and droids are visible. That screen that put the Ebon Hawk out of space was also part of the Star Forge's defenses. If I reasoned as you do, I could say that the Star Forge could create a single ship manned with a few droids and launch it at the Death Star. The first DS would be useless if the ship collided with the disc from which the shots are fired. The second DS would be trickier to destroy. Perhaps taking much more. But the point is, unless you start this off "Star Forge floats helpless in space with no ships at all, versus the Death Star II in firing range" the potential advantage goes to the Star Forge. The DS only wins when it has no disadvantages to overcome, such as distance, defense, etc.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2005 11:13 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I wasn't serious about the 5 times thing. I know both DS's firing rate.

But the SF isn't a planet, its metal, it is clearly more "explodable" than a planet. So I doubt neither Death Star would need a fully charged shot.

It blew up Alderaan from quite a distance.

And this topic isn't called "Death Star or Star Forge.(which is floating amongst all the ships it produces)"

And, going by the movies, the Death Star takes at MOST 20 seconds to fire a round off. That's just not enough time for the Star Forge to make a ship, man it (OR droid it), launch it, and actually fly it over to the key point on the dish.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 02:08 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

So the Death Star starts in firing range of the Star Forge?

In that case the Star Forge is screwed, however its very possible that the Star Forge shields spread further then the firing range of the Death Star. Afterall there wasn't a republic or sith ship that could fire on the Star Forge when the shields were up and the shields had to be quite large. If thats the case the DS is going to be screwed and unable to move and fire.. I have a feeling the SF is going to win then.

If the shield isn't big enough we still don't know how it works, it could very well block attacks and stop all electronics when ships near it. Meaning that it could possibly block the attack the Death Star launches. It wouldn't surprise me much if it would do something like that, I have no proof for it but it wouldn't surprise me. Besides a shield like that would also protect the Rakatan home world, which seems to be in the range of the SF shields.

So that leaves what exactly? A possibility that the DS can fire further then the SF shields can reach and a possibility that the attack will penetrate the shields and hit the SF... I don't think the DS range is great enough the Ratakan weren't stupid they would have made the shield as big as they could. They wouldn't want anybody or anything to attack them. It housed an entire fleet inside when the Republic attacked.

If the DS can fire outside of the SF shields however then the SF is going down. But only when they start out in the same system and when the DS can do that. If it can't get close enough without meeting those shields, or if they don't start in the same system then the Star Forge will without any doubt win.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 09:18 AM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

eh, either way. If you make the DS within firing range and the Star Forge without ships, this is a stupidly overkill thread.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 04:01 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Not if the SF shields take down the DS.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 04:29 PM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Star Forge pumped out ship after ship.....the threat could spread more than the Death stars

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 05:46 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Originally posted by Fishy
Not if the SF shields take down the DS.

Well, the Death Star's range could literally be infinite since the beam can't be stopped by most things. The planetary shields of Alderaan lasted something like a twentieth of a second. But in the case of the Yavin base, the Death Star had to close to less than 500,000 KM to snap off a clear shot. For some reason or another (I'm guessing dramatics) the Death Star didn't shoot right through the gas giant. Do we have any idea that the Star Forge's disruption field reaches at least 500,00 km?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 06:08 PM
Julie
The Student

I don't know....but Star Forge is more versatile a weapon than the Death Star so it's got a better chance overall

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 06:29 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Originally posted by Dark Nemesis
Well, the Death Star's range could literally be infinite since the beam can't be stopped by most things. The planetary shields of Alderaan lasted something like a twentieth of a second. But in the case of the Yavin base, the Death Star had to close to less than 500,000 KM to snap off a clear shot. For some reason or another (I'm guessing dramatics) the Death Star didn't shoot right through the gas giant. Do we have any idea that the Star Forge's disruption field reaches at least 500,00 km?

No... Its hard to guess the distance between the Star Forge and the Rakatan planet. But we can make some assumptions at least. The planet is livable but still within the reach of the SF shields. Now the distance between earth and the sun is at least 146 million kilometers at max 152 million kilometers. Thats a difference of 6 million kilometers.

Now the Rakatan planet seems simmiliar to earth in many aspects, so we can assume that its at least the same distance but even if it isn't. The planet closest to the sun is still 46 million kilometers away and thats to hot to live in. Now it could be that the star is smaller but looking at those facts its very reasonable to assume that the Star Forge and the Rakatan homeworld are at least a few million kilometers away from each other. At the best of times. You can easily add another 2 to 6 million kilometers in another season.

500.000 KM doesn't seem like that much anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the shield has that distance at all.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 06:40 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I think the shield is overrated too, it took down some Old Republic capitol ships, but who's to say it can actually take out a space station that's 160 km wide and has anotger 4000 years of advancement to it.

We don't what either would be capable of doing in this situation, since it has never been done.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:05 PM
Revan XII
Being one with the force

Ill go with the star forge it has infinite dark power and as long its running it gets stronger and its also 5x bigger than the death star.

True Brothers

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:07 PM
Click here to Send Revan XII a Private Message Find more posts by Revan XII Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I hate guys like you.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:11 PM
Revan XII
Being one with the force

why?

True Brothers

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:14 PM
Click here to Send Revan XII a Private Message Find more posts by Revan XII Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

I think the shield is overrated too, it took down some Old Republic capitol ships, but who's to say it can actually take out a space station that's 160 km wide and has anotger 4000 years of advancement to it.

We don't what either would be capable of doing in this situation, since it has never been done.

It shut down the board computers... What does it matter on what kind of ship it is? The Death Star doesn't have the codes the shield won't go down the SF will bring the thing down will stop it from being able to fly or shoot. Thats all its supposed to do there is no reason to assume that the DS could withstand a shield like that. No reason at all.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:17 PM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Actually, it took ships out of the air (Or space if you will) that operated on the same principles as PT era and OT era ships. UNless there is some new shielding that is included in the package Death Star deal, there's nother to say it wouldn't have adverse affects in those conditions.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:18 PM
overlord
OD'd

Originally posted by Revan XII
why?

He hates himself too.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:19 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Fishy
It shut down the board computers... What does it matter on what kind of ship it is? The Death Star doesn't have the codes the shield won't go down the SF will bring the thing down will stop it from being able to fly or shoot. Thats all its supposed to do there is no reason to assume that the DS could withstand a shield like that. No reason at all.
I can argue till I'm blue in the fingers but there's just too many What If scenarios in this for it to be resolved either way.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:43 PM
birthoftheforce
Restricted

Account Restricted

star forge all of the way. look at the fleet it can produce.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:53 PM
Click here to Send birthoftheforce a Private Message Find more posts by birthoftheforce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote