KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Punk- old school VS new school

Punk- old school VS new school
Started by: slasherpunk18

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
finti

The only new punk and wort mentioning,in my humble opinion that is, is Rancid even if they are Joe Strummer wannabees.
Old School had Clash, Misfits, UK Subs, Ramones, Iggy Pop and the less hard core punk bands like Undertones, Killing Joke, Jam

Old Post Sep 18th, 2004 06:58 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

NOFX, Rancid, Frenzal Rhomb, Dropkick Murphys, Guttermouth, Bad Religion and 98 Mute are all good new age punk bands.

oh yeah and The Offspring's first three albums were great aswell.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2004 09:03 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
el_barto
I'm So Bored With the USA

I'm more "old school" Joe Stummer & The Clash win it over for me.

You Call This a New Way of Thinking? I Call This Regression to Ignorance.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 04:03 AM
el_barto is currently offline Click here to Send el_barto a Private Message Find more posts by el_barto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Personally Im into new age punk more, bands like NOFX, Bad Religion, Rancid, Frenzal Rhomb, the Bouncing Souls, Offspring, Green Day (only semi-punk), Operation Ivy, the Vandals, etc. A lot of my favorite bands are new age punk. not to say I dont totally dig old school punk.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 04:16 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not sure where all this "semi-punk" stuff came from.

The way I see it, punk was a very specific thing. One of the very few phenomena that did actually extend beyond music and into life. What I have come to understand of punk, what it truly meant to people like John Lydon etc, is dead now. Has been for a very long time and will never come back.

Anti-authority music isn't punk, it's just anti-authority music. Punk, real punk, will never come back because it was in the end, enhanced by the time era it was born in. A time that has long gone. The politics, the cultural climate back then was what spawned punk. The Sex Pistols were as rebellious as they were because they were actually unhappy and genuinely pissed off with life, the way they were being told to live it and the powers that be. They wanted to change it so they made as much noise as they could in the direction of those they felt were oppressing them in the hopes their voices would be heard. Much like the true grunge pioneers, Layne Staley etc. These people, much like the original punk pioneers, were genuinely fed up, sad, and depressed with life to the point that it (metaphorically) killed them.

"Punk" bands now who go around being "rebels" are not punk bands, nor are they rebels. If you're rebelling against everything, you're not rebelling, technically. You're just conforming to something else. Rebelling, being depressed and such means nothing if you've got no reason to be relating to either.

Punk was born by a situation that no longer exists and hasn't existed since. So nothing since punk, has been punk.

"Punk was something to survive through. Me being called The King of the Punks wasn't something I wanted, because punk wasn't a good term back then. I didn't want that title, but it was an era in my life that was extremely important and back then, we were nobodies. So to have Johnny Come-Lately stroll along nowadays and try to take what we made possible from nothing, I'll fight to the death for it." - John Lydon.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Dec 7th, 2005 at 04:34 AM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 04:25 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

meh, i think that nirvana, garbage, and even fricken Beck have more in common with what punk truly was in the 70's and 80's than all of the self procaimed punk crap that's out nowadays. especially the shit that spells it "punk rawk" like yellow card, ashlee simpson, blink 182, avril lavigne, good charlotte and the rest of that worthless shit. and locally you've got bands that all sound either like blink 182, or like a cross between the supertones, minor threat, and the circle jerks, hence defining punk as a "particular sound". Then the shows are ruined by either the preppy blind 182 mohawked football players, punk zealot Crass fans who quote ben weasil like he's god, read maximumrocknroll, and think Jello Biafra deserved having his legs broken, and the usual neonazi skinheads who's purpose in breathing I question and would fit in more at a Skrewdriver or RAHOWA show.
That's why modern "punk" sucks ian stewart's rotting corpse.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Last edited by Darth Jello on Dec 7th, 2005 at 09:31 AM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 09:27 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

I wrote that because I am not entirely sure if Green Day could really be considered a true punk band

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 02:15 PM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course not. They're a band inspired by punk, maybe. They're not a punk band in my opinion.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 02:59 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Nice post AC.

I don't really know much about punk honestly. Only own one punk cd.. which is by the Dead Kennedys.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 03:26 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bierbommetje

The way I see it, punk was a very specific thing. One of the very few phenomena that did actually extend beyond music and into life. What I have come to understand of punk, what it truly meant to people like John Lydon etc, is dead now. Has been for a very long time and will never come back.

Anti-authority music isn't punk, it's just anti-authority music. Punk, real punk, will never come back because it was in the end, enhanced by the time era it was born in. A time that has long gone. The politics, the cultural climate back then was what spawned punk. The Sex Pistols were as rebellious as they were because they were actually unhappy and genuinely pissed off with life, the way they were being told to live it and the powers that be. They wanted to change it so they made as much noise as they could in the direction of those they felt were oppressing them in the hopes their voices would be heard. Much like the true grunge pioneers, Layne Staley etc. These people, much like the original punk pioneers, were genuinely fed up, sad, and depressed with life to the point that it (metaphorically) killed them.

"Punk" bands now who go around being "rebels" are not punk bands, nor are they rebels. If you're rebelling against everything, you're not rebelling, technically. You're just conforming to something else. Rebelling, being depressed and such means nothing if you've got no reason to be relating to either.

Punk was born by a situation that no longer exists and hasn't existed since. So nothing since punk, has been punk.

"Punk was something to survive through. Me being called The King of the Punks wasn't something I wanted, because punk wasn't a good term back then. I didn't want that title, but it was an era in my life that was extremely important and back then, we were nobodies. So to have Johnny Come-Lately stroll along nowadays and try to take what we made possible from nothing, I'll fight to the death for it." - John Lydon.

-AC

Punk is more then an attitude IMO, at least in the last 20 years or so. It may have originated as an attitude, but there is a musical side to punk as well, and that has been quite alive for the past 30 or so years. Punk might not be an appropriate term anymore, but really, I could care less about labels.

Punk evolved from an attitude to a genre.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 04:01 PM
Bierbommetje is currently offline Click here to Send Bierbommetje a Private Message Find more posts by Bierbommetje Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

It seems like punk is the most subjective genre out there. Everyone has a different idea of what punk is. I haven't seen any genre's defintion be debated as much as I have punk.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 05:43 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

well in 77 you could go see the ramones, the germs, blondie, and the go-go's on the same bill and call it a punk show.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 07:26 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

kinda makes me wish i was born 20 years earlier

Old Post Dec 7th, 2005 07:42 PM
el_barto
I'm So Bored With the USA

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Nice post AC.

I don't really know much about punk honestly. Only own one punk cd.. which is by the Dead Kennedys.

Dead Kennedys are one of my favorite bands, I solute you. You might wanna check out The Clash , The Ramones and maybe The Sex Pistols.

You Call This a New Way of Thinking? I Call This Regression to Ignorance.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 01:57 AM
el_barto is currently offline Click here to Send el_barto a Private Message Find more posts by el_barto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bierbommetje
Punk is more then an attitude IMO, at least in the last 20 years or so. It may have originated as an attitude, but there is a musical side to punk as well, and that has been quite alive for the past 30 or so years. Punk might not be an appropriate term anymore, but really, I could care less about labels.

Punk evolved from an attitude to a genre.

Read my post again please. Then we can discuss further when you realise you just said what I did, but less.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 02:17 AM
Grim Reefer
7 leaves is all you need

Old School, Misfits.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 03:06 AM
Grim Reefer is currently offline Click here to Send Grim Reefer a Private Message Find more posts by Grim Reefer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VoodooChile89

OLD PUNK HANDS DOWN!
The Clash
The Ramones
The Misfits
The list goes on...
Old School wins by a long shot!

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 02:28 PM
VoodooChile89 is currently offline Click here to Send VoodooChile89 a Private Message Find more posts by VoodooChile89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

let's not forget The Adolescents, TSOL, DI, Flipper, ADZ, Black Flag, The Joykiller, Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, MDC, The Cruci****s, Butthole Surfers,The Avengers, The Normals, The Mutants, Three Day Stubble, The Weirdos, and Negative Trend.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2005 10:23 AM
Eis
androgynous mind

The Clash, Ramones and Sex Pistols beat pretty much anything IMO.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2005 10:44 AM
Eis is currently offline Click here to Send Eis a Private Message Find more posts by Eis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bierbommetje

Read my post again please. Then we can discuss further when you realise you just said what I did, but less.

-AC

My comment was more specificaly about this part of your post:

Punk was born out of the situation back then. That's is the origin of punk, that is the origin of the genre punk, which has existed since then and will probably excist for quite some time to come.

Same as blues having originated out of laborsongs, but blues still excists as a musical genre even though it's not being made as laboursongs anymore.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2005 03:27 PM
Bierbommetje is currently offline Click here to Send Bierbommetje a Private Message Find more posts by Bierbommetje Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote