KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Punk- old school VS new school

Punk- old school VS new school
Started by: slasherpunk18

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eggmayo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Jello
meh, i think that nirvana, garbage, and even fricken Beck have more in common with what punk truly was in the 70's and 80's than all of the self procaimed punk crap that's out nowadays.

You mean because they at least had spirit?

Old Post Dec 11th, 2005 04:11 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barbarossa
King of the bitchslappers

AC, Guys. Your debate is one that can never be truely won. The Genre, the Lifestyle all of it. It always dies and is then reborn as something new. It's like an endless cycle of reincarnation that personally, I believe will never die. And thereby is impossible to truely grasp hold of.

Anyway, I am a fan of new and old punk. I grew up on the Clash, The Misfits, The Ramones and the Sex Pistols. At the same time, I now listen to newer artists such as Anti-Flag, The Unseen, Lower Class Brats and such.

Two last things to mention. Rancid is essentially Operation Ivy. So they are not exactly "New". And I wonder why no one has mentioned Stiff Little Fingers, Cock Sparrer, The Adicts or so many other great, old bands.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2005 05:18 PM
Barbarossa is currently offline Click here to Send Barbarossa a Private Message Find more posts by Barbarossa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

punk failed when people define it is a particular sound and genreand when MTV started labling bland rock music and fashion as punk. I think overzealous fans are also to blame.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Dec 13th, 2005 09:49 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Punk today is just a fashion statement. The music is a dime a dozen, as is the look. Guys with mohawks and tattoo sleeves were shocking and new in the late 70's, now the style, like the music, is monotonous and usually contradictory, and most of all, commercialized which is the cardinal sin for punk. C'mon, you're supposed to be anti-establishment, while there are bands like Green Day assuming everyone cares about Billy Joe Armstrong's self righteous politcal agenda spewing to impressionable kids who will listen to their idols and assume the same stance, regardless if they know what political affiliation they are.

Please. If nothing else, old school punk rock stood for rebellion and got their message across. These days, it's just another tool to sell albums by cashing in on the war.

BTW, The Ramones are by no means a punk band. They got lumped into the genre because they, sometimes, played music fast. Their music and the punk movement have NOTHING in common. As for The Misfits, same thing. Their songs were about horror films and the occasional song based on Danzig's Monroe obsession.

Those two bands are the innovators of pop punk. Like it or not. The Clash and the Sex Pistols are in the same boat to a more severe degree. Pop-punk bands with one memorable song and a legacy that only die hard fans would delve into.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2005 10:31 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PINBALL

I like New punk because thats what i listen to more i mean the only old school music i even listen to is like Social Distortion and that pretty much it other stuff i listen to are like in the last 15 years or so

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 05:12 AM
PINBALL is currently offline Click here to Send PINBALL a Private Message Find more posts by PINBALL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Punk peaked in 1983, southern california.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 06:26 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:

I grew up on the Clash, The Misfits, The Ramones and the Sex Pistols. At the same time, I now listen to newer artists such as Anti-Flag, The Unseen, Lower Class Brats and such.

Legitimate question. You being only 16(?), when exactly where you consciously capable of grasping the actual message behind original punk rock music? I mean, 3 out of the 4 bands you named aren't even punk. The Clash were political in the early 70's, then they fizzled out.

Pick one person of the street and ask them to name one Clash song other than "Rock the Casbah", which is as pop as you can get. That's right. You won't find one.

Personally, I like and prefer the approach of mainstream pop-punk, save Green Day. They offer the same style music, minus all the whining about government, while they sit there with their thumbs up their asses bullshit. It's like emo and angst rock. Just music for kids to relate to and to sell albums, not banking on actual musical craftsmanship.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 08:11 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Interesting point of view, I agree for the most part. Though I think it's unfair to place musical craftsmanship as a high priority and then slam Green Day because they've become politics pushers. American Idiot, popularity aside, is their most musically accomplished album. Regardless of whether anyone likes the music or not, they play better on it than they ever have anywhere else. As VVD said before, Green Day are just more popular now, not more commercial. So if that is what you believe, you should at least recognise their ability at least on an instrumental level.

The part I agree with is what you said about music made to sell albums. People would rather buy an album by My Chemical Romance than one by Rush. Or one by Simple Plan instead of one by King Crimson. I don't view this as a bad thing because I believe they've made their choice as to what side they're on. I don't want Good Charlotte fans listening to King Crimson or Tool.

However, despite the musicality and such being better with the two latter bands than the former, people are lazy. That's what it will come down to. Not many 16 year old girls who just like music for face value and/or aren't into it fanatically (nothing wrong with this), are going to sit there and have the attention span, respect or interest in listening to Red or Aenima. They'd rather have the latest album by The All-American Rejects or whatever.

It's just the way it is.

Rush released their debut in 1976, their last release was in 2004. They're not relying on looks, exposure or trend to sell their albums. They don't need to push iPods or reality shows. They play music, that's what they do. For that one band there have probably been well over 300 one hit wonders or disposable pop acts since they began. People in general don't necessarily want Good Charlotte around, but they are around. They're getting used while the public want them, when they don't? They'll be gone. Rush are still going, The Cure are, Killing Joke are, Prince is. People who love these great bands old or new, want them around because they make great music as opposed to just liking them until the next best thing comes along.

I guess the point I'm making in a roundabout way is that most people just want something to dance to, to nod their head to. Nothing wrong with that, but a lot of the time this is shit music.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Dec 14th, 2005 at 09:12 PM

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 09:06 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ronny
Love is Blindness

Woah AC wacko way to make a gal dizzy

"After coming into contact with a religious man
I always feel I must wash my hands."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 09:44 PM
Ronny is currently offline Click here to Send Ronny a Private Message Find more posts by Ronny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Do what? Oh, I appear to have accidentally checked the "Rotate your post?" box.

I better go uncheck that smile.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 10:40 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

musical craftsmanship depends on the band and what they're going for, The Adolescents, DI, and TSOL made really complicated and great songs with lots of harmonizing. they were awesome. Flipper couldn't play they're instruments and couldn't sing. They were awesome for different reasons.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 11:59 AM
Black Flag

Punk is not a fashion and im sick of people saying that, just because your punk does not mean you have a mohawk. Punk is a music and in the area where i live it is still an attitude. We have our reasons for hating people in general.
1.) People are stereotypical pricks.
2.) They try to accept punk by copying it with things that they consider punk because of their stereotypes.
3.)Have you noticed how messed up the police really are, they are allowed to kill you if you look threatening and are carrying something that they consider a weapon.

BTW old school punk kills new school with the Sex Pistols alone.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2005 04:04 AM
Black Flag is currently offline Click here to Send Black Flag a Private Message Find more posts by Black Flag Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Pick one person of the street and ask them to name one Clash song other than "Rock the Casbah", which is as pop as you can get. That's right. You won't find one.

Oh come on now, that'S unfair towards The Clash, they have some great songs despite "Rock the Casbah" ...I mean The Clash are pretty much known aren't they...people would say "Yeah, the clash...heard of them" ....
And "I fought the law" is although maybe not know by title known by the sound.
As for not being all that punk, you are probably right but they had some songs with a political meaning, "White Riot", "Guns of Brixton" "Lodon Calling" for example.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2005 05:43 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Originally posted by Black Flag
BTW old school punk kills new school with the Sex Pistols alone. [/B]

True. I am in seriously dislike of most this new generation of 'punk'.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Dec 31st, 2005 06:18 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
knight
AFL1-3603

Old School...

THE SKIDS

THE BUZZCOCKS

THE CLASH

Attachment: punk.jpg
This has been downloaded 44 time(s).

Old Post Dec 31st, 2005 09:00 PM
knight is currently offline Click here to Send knight a Private Message Find more posts by knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Originally posted by Black Flag
Punk is not a fashion and im sick of people saying that, just because your punk does not mean you have a mohawk. Punk is a music and in the area where i live it is still an attitude. We have our reasons for hating people in general.
1.) People are stereotypical pricks.
2.) They try to accept punk by copying it with things that they consider punk because of their stereotypes.
3.)Have you noticed how messed up the police really are, they are allowed to kill you if you look threatening and are carrying something that they consider a weapon.

BTW old school punk kills new school with the Sex Pistols alone.

What on earth does police brutality have to do with the debate of old school/new school punk?

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2006 04:13 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GBMistake

There was much more to '77 punk than The Clash, Ramones and Sex Pistols. Don't get me wrong, Ramones are simply the greatest collection of 4 'musicians' to have ever walked the earth, but you gotta remember bands like The Normals, Eater, Drones, NY *******, Satans Rats, The Nips etc etc etc.

The Briefs & The Shocks have gotta be the only bands to have adheired to the original sound and kept it going

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2010 08:28 PM
GBMistake is currently offline Click here to Send GBMistake a Private Message Find more posts by GBMistake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Diversity and courage is what separates new and old-

Old Post Nov 7th, 2010 05:51 AM
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Operation Ivy
Misfits
Dead Kennedy's
Ramones
Sex Pistols
Bad Religion
*original DKM (with Mike)
Flogging Molly
Rancid = Priceless

Modern crap like GC, GCH, Paramore = $5 hooker is worth more

War Doctor

Old Post Nov 10th, 2010 08:05 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Cory Chaos
Punk today is just a fashion statement. The music is a dime a dozen, as is the look. Guys with mohawks and tattoo sleeves were shocking and new in the late 70's, now the style, like the music, is monotonous and usually contradictory, and most of all, commercialized which is the cardinal sin for punk. C'mon, you're supposed to be anti-establishment, while there are bands like Green Day assuming everyone cares about Billy Joe Armstrong's self righteous politcal agenda spewing to impressionable kids who will listen to their idols and assume the same stance, regardless if they know what political affiliation they are.

Please. If nothing else, old school punk rock stood for rebellion and got their message across. These days, it's just another tool to sell albums by cashing in on the war.

BTW, The Ramones are by no means a punk band. They got lumped into the genre because they, sometimes, played music fast. Their music and the punk movement have NOTHING in common. As for The Misfits, same thing. Their songs were about horror films and the occasional song based on Danzig's Monroe obsession.

Those two bands are the innovators of pop punk. Like it or not. The Clash and the Sex Pistols are in the same boat to a more severe degree. Pop-punk bands with one memorable song and a legacy that only die hard fans would delve into.
laughing out loud

You have no ****ing idea what you're talking about kid. Punk is alive and well. You just don't support your local bands lol Street Dogs are out touring the shit of the world. Left alone. Blackfoot 56. They preach what they believe and rancid is still in the mother ****ing game with lars frederikesen. Go grow up doucher, punk music is a statement for the blue coller working man, The little guy who never gets out from under. ****, even the Dropkick murphys are still tearing it up. You lose kiddo go back to school and listen to some music smokin'

Old Post Nov 13th, 2010 06:09 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote