KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars.

Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars.
Started by: Johnlindsey289

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (24): « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

The thing is GL didnt make ESB or ROTJ he only made star wars

Old Post Dec 16th, 2006 08:23 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draugwen
The Wanderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blaxican
Wow, what a stupidass thing to say. More then half of the diolouge in the movies came directly from the book. And two thirds of the events came from the book. Jackson didn't do even half of the work that GL did.

Yeah, but you forget that he had to do something that Lucas didn't - he had to live up to the expectations of the readers and recreate a world so immensely detailed that it would retain its fascination in the movies. Now if that isn't a hell of a work... and I'd percieve it to be more difficult than to make up something completely freely.
And in my opinion he did it amazingly well smile

Old Post Dec 17th, 2006 12:44 AM
Draugwen is currently offline Click here to Send Draugwen a Private Message Find more posts by Draugwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

never forget SW's EU...

people actually wanted to continue - i mean they already had continued Lucas's vision and expanded the galaxy of star wars - or rather its universe.

*scratches head* i don't think what i said helped though.. big grin

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2006 05:03 AM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Draugwen
Yeah, but you forget that he had to do something that Lucas didn't - he had to live up to the expectations of the readers and recreate a world so immensely detailed that it would retain its fascination in the movies. Now if that isn't a hell of a work... and I'd percieve it to be more difficult than to make up something completely freely.
And in my opinion he did it amazingly well smile

True. But Lucas had to live up to hsi fans expectations when making the PT as well. So, yeah.

And besides a LOT of people didn't even know that teh Lotr movies were based off a book. All of my friends didn't know until I pointed that fact otu to them after we saw the first movie.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2006 07:25 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Heaven Dancer
icy-blue

I think Lord of the rings's teh best

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 12:16 AM
Heaven Dancer is currently offline Click here to Send Heaven Dancer a Private Message Find more posts by Heaven Dancer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

midichlorians instead of the mystical force, jar jar binx, a 1950s american diner, 'around the survivors a perimeter create", "noooooooooooooooooo", "if i'm beautiful its because i'm so in love", "you're breaking my heart", "yipeeee", "are you an angel?", "oops, sorry no annie i can't teach you to save the ones you love after all, but be a good lad and kill all the jedi kids"......

yeah...

star wars rocks.

the man they simply nicknamed 'oh @#$%' !!!

rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jan 20th, 2007 07:26 AM
Bar-en-Danwedh is currently offline Click here to Send Bar-en-Danwedh a Private Message Find more posts by Bar-en-Danwedh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Here's my opinion:

If you compare the two as films, the STAR WARS franchise is by far the better. If, however, you compare them simply as stories, The Lord of the Rings is the better.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 12:47 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scottie
poiuytrewq

Star Wars w000

~ This person is my favourite person on KMC ~

Old Post Feb 10th, 2007 10:05 PM
Scottie is currently offline Click here to Send Scottie a Private Message Find more posts by Scottie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Count Makashi
Count Dookus number 1 fan

Star Wars is better, but The Lord of the Rings is also weary god.

General G made this sig, but i am going to keep annoying him.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2007 12:16 AM
Count Makashi is currently offline Click here to Send Count Makashi a Private Message Find more posts by Count Makashi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cryo

Originally posted by Count Makashi
weary

LOL

Old Post Feb 12th, 2007 06:25 AM
Cryo is currently offline Click here to Send Cryo a Private Message Find more posts by Cryo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chewy16

I just debate LOTR vs SW-OT, the unaltered versions. I think overall LOTR is a better trilogy simply that ROTK is a better movie then ROTJ, and because they were filmed all at once, and not written on the fly like Lucas does with each SW movie, they flow much better.

But as individual movies, The Original SW and ESB are better then any LOTR movie. So in one sense, for replay value, I would take the OT, because you can watch them more as standalone movies, cause I believe the true power of LOTR is to watch them back to back to back, but who the hell has 12 hours of spare time!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 02:29 AM
chewy16 is currently offline Click here to Send chewy16 a Private Message Find more posts by chewy16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Well, it's really what you're comparing. I think that Lord of the Rings has better large-scale battles, but Star Wars has, undoubtedly, better duels (let's face it, in LOTR, it's all just a bunch of humans running down monsters without either one blocking the opponent's blows). The older Star Wars movies have good story lines, but Lord of the Rings has much better acting and scripts than Star Wars.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 01:34 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah thats the only thing that bothered me about the Lotr books and movies. The Mook mentality was just too much.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 07:38 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nazgul lord

Originally posted by Darth Revan
Star Wars kicks LOTR's ass. And SW was inspired by Flash Gordon, I thought....

nah man it was totally batman!!

and lotr kicks star wars in the teeth

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:40 PM
Nazgul lord is currently offline Click here to Send Nazgul lord a Private Message Find more posts by Nazgul lord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Never.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 02:49 AM
exanda kane

Re: Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars.

Originally posted by Johnlindsey289
There can be only one fantasy trilogy!

Which is the better trilogy and who is better George Lucas or Peter Jackson?

No, there are quite frankly much more than simply one trilogy, differing in quality, originality and age; and no, trilogy isn't the right word. Try saga, as both franchises offer much more than simply there films .

In my opinion, they are both very different directors who make the same kind of films. George Lucas has great vision, and I great eye for certain visual aspects and themes, yet his script and innate ability to bore actors lets him down. Peter Jackson has a great eye for cinematography and visuals, a very good way of working with actors, a decent scripting ability (although lacks the vision of Lucas). What lets him down is that he isn't able to make a small, compact film from what I have seen.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 06:05 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GOD101

Star Wars all the way. It is the original trilogy. The best of the best,sir.
LOTR is good in its own way but it doesn't arouse my imagination.

"There is only 1 trilogy you ****ing morons."

-Randall Graves,Clerks 2

Old Post Apr 21st, 2007 02:46 PM
GOD101 is currently offline Click here to Send GOD101 a Private Message Find more posts by GOD101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chewy16

I think this thread should be renamed:

SW-OOT vs LOTR?

Because the Special Editions & the PT are not even on par with LOTR, and I will say being a lifelong SW fan, that LOTR is a great trilogy, but my preference will always be SW simply because of Han, Luke, and Leia, and the greatest bad guy before the PT ruined him: Darth Vader. I have yet to find a fantasy trilogy with characters as good as the OT had.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2007 03:18 PM
chewy16 is currently offline Click here to Send chewy16 a Private Message Find more posts by chewy16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I like Star wars the best!I mean don't get me wrong Lord of the rings is great I saw star wars way before I started reading the books on lord of the Rings.JM

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 1st, 2007 01:24 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
filmser

To me this is a very tough comparison. Each deal with similar themes (good vs evil) and each has a core of complex characters on each side of the conflict. however, beyond the fact that one is sci-fi and the other is fantasy, there is a consistency issue that has to be delt with.

Star Wars is very uneven in tone. The original movie and ESB being two of the best movies ever made, then a dud in ROTJ... then a huge amount of elapsed time until the series of prequels came out... of which only Revenge of the Sith is really a good movie at all. There is a very good argument for the LOTR trilogy being better.

My point is that if Star Wars were made in sequence with 21st centry technology, I think that it would have easily been the better series. But, because of this descrepancy, it's gotto go to good old Frodo and his Fellowship.

Old Post May 30th, 2007 06:55 PM
filmser is currently offline Click here to Send filmser a Private Message Find more posts by filmser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote